"Pretty" ceiling AC air deflector for Class A

We have the interior input/output for the RV where the cold air is pointing at my hands and neck, which is uncomfortable.  I currently have some contructs made from plastic and duct tape, but my wife thinks they are not elegant enough. Grrrrrr.

I know I can get some clear plastic defectors (Frost King, Deflector, and many other) rather inexpensively at Amazon, but they aren't made for RV venting, and will require a fair about of MacGyvering. No problem doing that, I like those kinds of puzzles. But I don't think she will be satisfed with those results either.

Are there any interior air deflector designed to be attached to RV air handles? I don't know if I'm using the wrong keywords or just unlucky, but I haven't found any yet. Or will I have to learn to work with plexiglass at a high skill level to get the results she wants (my current skills that lead to uneven and chipped edges).

Well, depends on what you mean by adjustable. I can turn it off, or on by sliding the the piece the middle to the right or left, or 1/2 way, which narrows the opening but makes the air flow faster. But it still pretty much shoots straight down. What it *doesn't* allow you to do is shoot the air out at a 90 degree angle. The "thing" around and beneath it is my "construct" of plastic and duct tape. What is does is exactly what I need it to do. But just "pretty".

Note: don't believe that small (maybe 20 degree angle) has any great affect on the direction of the air flow. It doesn't. The flow is DOWN.

bbb-2.jpg.dcd9a087e308fc4097c21d6a394b66d4.jpg

Not that particular one, but I've looked at a number of those on Amazon. THe only way I can see using it is to remove the current plastic cover, extend the sheet metal (painted) beyond the edge of the plastic cover, then attach the new deflector piece to those extended edges. Doable (I think, haven't looked under the cover to confirm it'll work), but I was hoping for something a little faster, since I have a couple of dozen other little "make life easier/better in my RV" tasks waiting for me.

Recommend getting one of the deflectors noted by Mntom and either (1) attach it to the A/C with some Super High Bond 3M foam tape or (2) use the same tape to attach a strong rare earth magnet to the A/C (positioned to "attract" the magnets in the deflector) and then you have removable unit.

Super High Bond 3M tape at Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CC146DM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Magnets at Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014ZH2GR8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

OK, I'll take that under advisement. Usually, I prefer something a little more solid, like wood or metal to screw or rivet into, particularly when it is hanging almost directly over my head. I just built a little box beside the bed so my older dog can get on the bed. She weighs about 15#, but I made sure it would support ~300#.

Actually, I'd probably use the RP25 tape (conformable foam core) which I already have instead of the 4950 (firm foam core), since the ceiling is kinda soft and spongy.

Hummm..., I could use both the "extend sheet metal out both sides" & "use the VHB tape" ideas. Belt and suspenders always makes me sleep better.

Thanks for tape idea. I do have it, but have never used it, so it doesn't come as a first thought.

3 hours ago, SWharton said:

I guess I don't understand the need for a deflector. We have the same unit. Just close the side that is blowing on you and open one of the other sides. What am I missing??

X2

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

For a previous motorhome with non-ducted A/C, after experimenting with cardboard/duct tape models, I fabricated the final air deflectors from lightweight easy to bend and fold aluminum flashing. After temporarily taping them in place to check fit and function, I painted them to match the A/C cover and attached them with small painted self-tapping screws. My wife was quite pleased with both the appearance and redirected air flow.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

6 hours ago, Biker56 said:

I guess I don't understand the need for a deflector. We have the same unit. Just close the side that is blowing on you and open one of the other sides. What am I missing??

X2

Well,

One side blows on me, other side blows on wife. We both hate that, for different reasons.. If it doesn't bother you, that's great, you don't have to any extra work. But it does bother us.

And, if you will notice from the picture, the main temp deflector I built is for the front, which doesn't actually blow forward, but drops right down on the desk where my hand sits on the trac ball. There is also a temp deflector on my side, and the one on my wife's side is shut off.

So, all 3 of the vents up there bother at least one of us, and closing all in a Texas summer is both counterproductive and hard on the AC unit.

Archived