Jump to content
Al F

Solar Eclipse 2017---Thinking of Boondocking???

Recommended Posts

Those of us who are planning of viewing the eclipse on August 21st and/or boondocking in Oregon may be in for a surprise.  According to this article in the Bend, Oregon newspaper some of the remote areas could have from 15,000 to 50,000 people looking for the perfect spot to view the eclipse.

If you are thinking of getting up early and drive for an hour or three, on the day of the eclipse, to get to a spot to view the eclipse, you should plan on starting really early.  If boondocking we probably should get in place a few days early. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This influx of people is probably not limited to Oregon.  I would guess Idaho & Wyoming will be the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've heard Casper is supposed to double in size for the eclipse (okay, a slightly hyperbole)...not to mention Jackson and other places in between. It is predicted that the "population" of Wyoming would increase by 25% during the time of the eclipse. What other states can say that!!! 70,000 is a tenth of our population!

Edited by DuneElliot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow! Disappointing, in a way. I came to this Forum in an effort to see if there were any suggestions for best route from San Diego. My nephew wants to meet me in Idaho or Wyoming or Oregon (depending on airport distance). He will be flying in from Michigan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Scarecrow said:

Wow! Disappointing, in a way. I came to this Forum in an effort to see if there were any suggestions for best route from San Diego. My nephew wants to meet me in Idaho or Wyoming or Oregon (depending on airport distance). He will be flying in from Michigan.

Do a internet search for "madras oregon solar eclipse" and find a place which still has campsites open.  There are other town in central Oregon you can search as well.  Some of the prices I have seen are in the $500-$600 range for a 4 or 5 night stay.  Almost always dry camping or tenting.  Have your nephew fly into Portland.  Expect a slow drive on Friday or Saturday as road will be crowded. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quickest route would be to take I-5 to Weed, CA and then follow US-97 up to Bend, OR.  An excellent scenic route would be to go over to US-395 in eastern CA and follow it up to central OR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know where I can view a high-definition map of the center of the totality line?

 

I am specifically interested in knowing where the totality line crosses Interstate 35 in Missouri.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, markandkim said:

Going to rain anyway. it's the NW.

All the way across the entire country? Could be, I suppose and it will make some of us happy we didn't run up that way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kind of funny " Going to rain anyway. it's the NW".  Ever been to the NW?  Both Oregon and Washington are dry desert country except for west of the Cascade mountain range.  The mountains get some rain and that combined with altitude allows the trees to grow.

What is really funny is that the state of Washington calling itself the evergreen state.  Everything east of the cascades is very, very dry and lots of sagebrush.

There was a blurb on the news a couple of nights ago that the historic average for the Oregon coastline was 40% of the days were cloudy for the several days around August 21st. 

However a low system could come in and put clouds over most of the state.  You never know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2017 at 7:30 PM, Scarecrow said:

Wow! Disappointing, in a way. I came to this Forum in an effort to see if there were any suggestions for best route from San Diego. My nephew wants to meet me in Idaho or Wyoming or Oregon (depending on airport distance). He will be flying in from Michigan.

Hope you find a parking spot.

Edited by Ray,IN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Hope you find a parking spot.

Why worry about a parking spot when the whole affair will be over in about 2 minutes ? 

I'm amazed at all the hoopla surrounding an eclipse . People are really that bored ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Pat & Pete said:

Why worry about a parking spot when the whole affair will be over in about 2 minutes ? 

I'm amazed at all the hoopla surrounding an eclipse . People are really that bored ?

WOW!  Why the negativity?  Some people get pretty excited about being able to experience a rare natural phenomenon.  Other don't so they don't bother to read about it or follow forum topics about it.  

I am pretty excited about viewing the eclipse.  However if we hadn't been up here in the Oregon area from our home base in Texas, I wouldn't have flown or driven all the way up here to view it.  Other will be coming long distances to view the eclipse and that is not for me to question or comment on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Al F said:

WOW!  Why the negativity?  Some people get pretty excited about being able to experience a rare natural phenomenon.  Other don't so they don't bother to read about it or follow forum topics about it.  

I am pretty excited about viewing the eclipse.  However if we hadn't been up here in the Oregon area from our home base in Texas, I wouldn't have flown or driven all the way up here to view it.  Other will be coming long distances to view the eclipse and that is not for me to question or comment on. 

What I said had nothing to do with negativity . 

Maybe you are overly defensive ?

It really doesn't matter . It's simply priorities . Like opinions , everyone is different . :) . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

Why worry about a parking spot when the whole affair will be over in about 2 minutes ? 

I'm amazed at all the hoopla surrounding an eclipse . People are really that bored ?

Boring to me. I'll watch it on my tablet.from a beach in NH. I have friends going to Hilton Head SC to view though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I, for one, am driving over 350 miles one way to see the eclipse. Not something everyone would do....but we are. Up one day, watch the next day, and back shortly thereafter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As it happens to be crossing over where I'll already be, I will be watching from a good vantage, but I likely wouldn't travel out of my way to see it. Total solar eclipses occur 2-5 times a year in one part of the world or other, but it's a bit "historic" in that the last time there was a total solar eclipse spanning across the entire U.S. was back in 1918... as some of you may remember (I won't mention any names :P)

I can see where some folks might get excited. If nothing else, it's a great excuse for friends and families to travel, gather, and spend quality time together outside of their day-to-day lives.

As for me... I plan to stock up and tuck in a week ahead of time and don't move until a week after. There be crazy folk out on them roads. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone know where I can find a high-detail map of the center of the totality path?  I am especially interested in the exact place where the centerline crosses Interstate 35 in Missouri.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, pethier said:

Anyone know where I can find a high-detail map of the center of the totality path?  I am especially interested in the exact place where the centerline crosses Interstate 35 in Missouri.

I would probably start here.. then go to google earth for high detail in the specific area you are interested in. Looks like just South of Cameron.

For others.. that's the eclipse2017.org website.

Edited by Yarome

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Yarome said:

I would probably start here.. then go to google earth for high detail in the specific area you are interested in. Looks like just South of Cameron.

For others.. that the eclipse2017.org website.

Thanks!  This is much further along than other things I have seen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are workamping at Hart Ranch in the Black Hills... and have that day off.   Smartest thing to do appears to be a long day on August 21... leave about 4:00 AM and drive 2 1/2 hours to Alliance, NE.   We have scouted Alliance out, and there are many places renting out a 'space' for anywhere from $50 a carload to $20 a person.   Haven't decided yet which place... and may just end up out on a dirt road in the prairie.   We are going prepared for a VERY long day... but we WILL see the Eclipse - Good Lord willing, and the Sun does shine.  

Edited by jlapeer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/28/2017 at 9:18 AM, Pat & Pete said:

Why worry about a parking spot when the whole affair will be over in about 2 minutes ? 

I'm amazed at all the hoopla surrounding an eclipse . People are really that bored ?

The longest period of totality is 2 minutes 43 seconds. The entire eclipse event last about 5 hours. This is something I may never live long enough to see again. The next eclipse view-able in North America(Mexico) is 2024.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jlapeer said:

We are workamping at Hart Ranch in the Black Hills... and have that day off.   Smartest thing to do appears to be a long day on August 21... leave about 4:00 AM and drive 2 1/2 hours to Alliance, NE.   We have scouted Alliance out, and there are many places renting out a 'space' for anywhere from $50 a carload to $20 a person.   Haven't decided yet which place... and may just end up out on a dirt road in the prairie.   We are going prepared for a VERY long day... but we WILL see the Eclipse - Good Lord willing, and the Sun does shine.  

We are also thinking of Alliance.....have not decided on where yet....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Jack Mayer said:

We are also thinking of Alliance.....have not decided on where yet....

Jack, we eyeballed several potential places in Alliance. Most striking was a place called 'Carhenge'... NE of town... the lady there told us that they have an arrangement with the Farmer next door... to create a 10,000 lot parking area, with their (Carhenge) property being the "walk over with folding chairs, sit, and view the event" place (39 Porta-johns, iirc).   The cost for parking was $30/car.    She also advised us that they (city) have 49 extra state troopers coming in to help with the traffic which they estimated to be a "Cat-3 Hurricane evacuation magnitude".

We also checked out the Airport, and Rodeo grounds...SE side of town...  very spacious, and should work fine for viewing & easier to come in from the South.   Right now, we are looking to the West and little north of town, a couple of Farms several miles out of town that will allow a 'stay' (1 - 3 days)... $50.00/vehicle... but limited (or no) 'services'

Something to keep in mind, is that when 'totality' happens... what will automatic (city) lights do?   Should be less of a problem out in the country.

Another place of good potential is named 'Toadstock', a outdoor Fall music festival location, that is opening up for the event... has all the facilities, miles out of town, and should be easier to drive in from the North.   That is our lead candidate for now.

Regardless... even if we end up in a traffic jam along a highway... We should have a wonderful experience!.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

RVers Online University

campgroundviews.com

Our program provides accurate individual wheel weights for your RV, toad, and tow vehicle, and will help you trim the pounds if you need to.

Rv Share

Dish For My RV.

Find out more or sign up for Escapees RV'ers Bootcamp.

Advertise your product or service here.



×