Preparing to full time - seeking opinions

I have read lots on this forum and others in trying to prepare to go full time, and I am excited and nervous at the same time. I know that there are lots of different scenarios out there and there is no set amount of money that is the "right" amount to go full time and I completely understand that how much one spends while full timing is relative. But I am trying to get a general idea from those who have "been there, done that" whether I am on the right track. I will have approximately $50k in savings (possibly a bit more depending on how long I stay in my job) by the time I hit the road. Rig (tow vehicle and travel trailer) will be fully paid for, so the savings number is after purchase of those. That does not include what I will get when I sell my house, but I am not even counting that because I don't know how much it will sell for. Whatever that is will be a bonus. I am thinking and hoping that I would be able to travel for a while without working, but I don't want to blow through my savings too quickly. I know health insurance will be a big cost. I am very frugal and will (hopefully) be traveling in a 17' Casita. I see lots of options for working on the road, but I am not sure how realistic it is to count on finding a paying job that I can rely on.

My questions are - does this seem like enough $$ to get started and is it realistic to think that I'll be able to  find a job once I'm on the road? It seems like a lot of people had a job already that they just turned into a remote job. I don't have that option. 

Thanks for your thoughts!

You didn't mention how old you are, but since you mention health insurance, assume you are under 65, hence no Medicare.  Health Insurance is a big unknown for those under 65.   We retired at 62 and were fortunate enough to retain our health insurance as part of our retirement package from our employer.  That was BIG for us and allowed us to fulltime early.   We also took SS at 62, which means reduced benefits, but also means that we have not had to touch the IRAs (until last yr when we both had passed the 70 1/2 mark) so those have kept growing and growing.  There is a lot of debate about when to start SS and you will find several such discussions on this forum.  You'll need to run the numbers to see what will work for you.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Yeah the health insurance is a big unknown. I'm 43 and won't have any employer benefits even if I were to wait until retirement. I have an IRA, a 401(k) and a 403(b). I've been contributing but none of those have a ton of $$ in them (yes, I know...by now I should have a lot saved for retirement, but I just don't). 

We owned a 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe just prior to getting our current Class B+.  After several multi-week and a three and one half month trip that had many days/nights of cold and/or rainy weather, we found that for two adults and one 25 lb Cocker Spaniel, the Casita was (a) too small for extended inside living; and (b) way too uncomfortable for either of us to sit for extended periods. A Casita makes a good weekend RV camping vehicle, but not really a good 24/7/365 residence.  If you read the Casita Owners; Forums you'll note references to more living outside of the trailer than inside.  That's fine for many, but as fulltimers we used our RV as more or less a movable apartment rather than most nights sitting around a campfire singing camp songs; but that was our style of living, not necessarily others'.

We had looked at Casitas many years ago and were good with their construction and ease of use, but never did we actually get in  one and sit and use the space as we would as full or long timers.  As manufactured, the Casita doesn't have many of the features a higher priced rig might have, like a screen door handle, shock absorbers, battery cutoff switch, and a retaining front to the molded shelf in the wet bath.  Little House Customs https://littlehousecustoms.com/   has made a thriving business of providing add ons for Casitas to make them more livable; so you might familiarize yourself with his work if you plan to go with Casita.  The best thing about Casitas is their resale. . .we sold ours for exactly what we paid for it new from the factory, but not the $5000 we had put into add ons from MCD Shades and Little House Customs; but we figure that was our cost for a couple of years' use.

I'm sure you are familiar with Casitas, but wanted to share our fulltimer experience with ours.  We still like living small for extended trips, but we bit the bullet and bought a pre-owned 2012 24 ft Phoenix Cruiser Sprinter (diesel) Class B+.  It has one slide and comfortable chairs and a sofa; plus a 6.5 cu. ft refrigerator/freezer and worlds of inside storage.  We now have what we sought but missed in the Casita.  We have pictures posted on the Class B and/or Class C sections on this forum.

Jeff and Suzanne with Scout and Sydney, the Cocker Spaniel Sisters touring in Fawkes the 2012 Phoenix Cruiser 2400 Sprinter

"What happens in Vagueness, stays in Vagueness"

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Casita! I know it's small, and I know all of this will be a learning experience for me. Part of the reason I like the Casita (other than quality) is the weight and maneuverability of it. I'll be traveling with just my dog, and we do spend a lot of time outside. It was one of the better options when I considered price, wanting something easy to tow, and wanting some thing that could go lots of places. But who knows, maybe I'll find it's too small, in which case as you say, the Casita has great resale value! I'm looking g at a used one that has had many modifications, including shocks, solar panels, and a bunch of other stuff I can't remember right now. It also has many of the factory upgrades like the vinyl floor, outdoor shower, larger freshwater tank and again some stuff I forget ?  Thanks again for your thoughts!

To paraphrase a TV commercial, we have not owned a Casita, but my sister and brother-in-law did. I would emphasize some points made above: 1) they are VERY small inside - especially during a rainy or very cold stretch of weather; 2) (related to #1), there is not any really comfortable long-term seating; 3) in the models I have seen, the dinette/bed has to be made/unmade every night and morning if you want the use of the dinette; and 4) the wet bath means that you cannot have things out on the sink, etc., when showering - everything in the bathroom gets wet.

Now, I don't want to sound like a curmudgeon, but it's far better to go into something with you eyes wide open and knowing the risks rather than getting blind-sided down the road and not having any options. As Barb said, health insurance is a HUGE concern. Even with a more affordable, high-deductible catastrophic type policy, $50K in savings could be eaten up very quickly with a serious illness or injury. We have full-coverage health insurance (I'm retired Army) and our financial adviser still didn't want us hitting the road with less than $100K in savings (he really wanted more)... and that's with multiple retirement income streams. I know there are folks out there doing it with far less, but it's not the every day expenses that are scary - it's the "what ifs." 

Unless you do an awful lot of boondocking, full-timing isn't necessarily less expensive than living in a stix 'n brix unless you were extremely well-positioned in your home (i.e. paid for, mortgage payments less than $800/month, etc.). If you plan on traveling a lot rather than staying longer each place, add in the increased expenses for fuel and maintenance on your tow vehicle. Without other income streams, you may find that $50K plus proceeds from the sale of the house may not last as long as you would hope. Of course, if you have the ability to do your job remotely, there are ways to stay connected on the road and many people continue to work that way.

Going full-time and travelling is an exciting prospect. In my opinion (others may disagree), planning before the launch is the main factor in determining your success down the road.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

You and this blogger are about the same age and she's in a Casita full-timing and working in national parks and Amazon.  I think she would be able to answer your questions.  See if you can contact her via her Blog.  I also thought she was on this forum.

http://www.interstellarorchard.com/

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Liz,

There are plenty of volunteer opportunities(free camping), subscribe to the Workamper News for paying jobs and look into Amazon Workforce(this may be your ideal job). Unless you boondock you will probably find gas and campsite the most expensive items in your daily expenses. I believe Escapees has a "job  board" their site. You could also volunteer for CARE, room and board included I believe. Alaska is always looking for help, great way to see Alaska.

I am sure others will have additional suggestions.

Good luck.

21 hours ago, LizD said:

will have approximately $50k in savings (possibly a bit more depending on how long I stay in my job) by the time I hit the road. Rig (tow vehicle and travel trailer) will be fully paid for, so the savings number is after purchase of those. That does not include what I will get when I sell my house, but I am not even counting that because I don't know how much it will sell for. Whatever that is will be a bonus. I am thinking and hoping that I would be able to travel for a while

The amount of money that will be enough is pretty subjective since all of us live based more upon what we have than what is enough. There is little doubt that survival on a very small income is possible, but is survival enough for you or do you want to be able to enjoy life and have some fun as you travel? We were similar to BarbOK in that we retired early (57) and still had health insurance provided by a former employer. What is available and how much it will cost is something that you need to figure out before you make any commitment to your plan. I suggest that you also need to keep some financial reserves to allow you to return to a fixed home, just in case this doesn't work out for you, or something should force you off of the road. We left the fixed life with a plan to spend at least 15 years and health became a problem and forced us back to a home-base again rather suddenly after less than 12 years. Because we had planned for an exit, we still live OK and even managed to have an RV for part-time traveling, but had we not kept a solid financial reserve we might well have become one of those couples living in an aging RV in some RV/mobile home park with nowhere else to go. While you should move forward with your dream, do not ignore some preparation for the future as well. 

20 hours ago, LizD said:

Part of the reason I like the Casita (other than quality) is the weight and maneuverability of it. I'll be traveling with just my dog, and we do spend a lot of time outside. It was one of the better options when I considered price, wanting something easy to tow, and wanting some thing that could go lots of places.

We also looked at the Casita when we began to downsize and I hope that you realize that even though it is very well built and trouble free, it is also very expensive for the size that they are and they have very little storage space for belongings. Remember that if you go this way, you will need to take everything you own with you and they are one of the most limiting for personal possessions. If this is to be your permanent home, you will need to have things like your hobbies with you as moving into an RV will not completely change the things that you enjoy doing. This isn't like going on a vacation but simply a move of home to a new location with the very same habits and preferences that you have now. 

Are you sure that you understand what the RV lifestyle really is? While it can be a wonderful way of life but not everyone fits into it. As exciting as travel can be, it can also be a very lonely way when things go wrong or difficulties come up. You need to be a very self-sufficient person with a very adventurous nature for this to be a happy experience. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts. I appreciate the perspectives, and I do understand that everyone's situation is different and what everyone spends and how much any one person needs is going to depend on lots of individual factors. It's helpful to hear those different perspectives, which is why I posted, so thank you.

On 5/5/2017 at 9:03 AM, Kirk Wood said:

Remember that if you go this way, you will need to take everything you own with you and they are one of the most limiting for personal possessions. If this is to be your permanent home, you will need to have things like your hobbies with you as moving into an RV will not completely change the things that you enjoy doing. This isn't like going on a vacation but simply a move of home to a new location with the very same habits and preferences that you have now. 

I'm prepared for this. I've been downsizing like a madwoman for about the past year, and I don't have much left in the way of personal possessions. I live in a 3BR house, and 2 BR are basically empty. Last bits of furniture and other personal items will either be sold or donated when I'm ready to leave or I will get a storage unit, not sure on that yet. I don't have much of any value, so I am not sure if I want to pay to store it, but I will decide that later. Sadly (and mostly due to my consuming and stressful job situation), I don't have many hobbies. I honestly cannot think of one, other than knitting and reading (both of which would RV well, but neither of which I do much of due to my work situation). Before I got into this job, I used to spend much free time running, hiking, biking, kayaking, or snowboarding, or planning to do one of those activities. I am not nearly as active now, but hiking and biking are still high on my list of things that I would like to do more of. I'm counting on RVing not being just a change of location, since the day to day of my life now is at the heart of what I would like to see become something different.

On 5/5/2017 at 9:03 AM, Kirk Wood said:

Are you sure that you understand what the RV lifestyle really is? While it can be a wonderful way of life but not everyone fits into it. As exciting as travel can be, it can also be a very lonely way when things go wrong or difficulties come up. You need to be a very self-sufficient person with a very adventurous nature for this to be a happy experience.

No, I guess I have to admit I don't understand what the RV lifestyle really is, because I haven't done it. I have read a lot about it, tried to think about it as realistically as possible, but I don't know how to really know what it is without doing it. I do consider myself very self-sufficient (although I do not really have an instinct for fixing things, I am certainly willing to learn and think I can seek out resources to fix things and solve problems), I have been alone most of my life and have had to deal with most difficulties on my own, so that part of it doesn't bother me. I guess I keep looking at the alternative, which is staying in my current lifestyle for the next 20 years until I retire, and that seems suffocating and very unhappy to me. I have tried for at least the past 3 years to make a job change, and it's a bit complicated to get into, but it is proving to be just not feasible. I feel trapped and incredibly unhappy and unfulfilled.

I am considering various ways to do this, and one is to go for a year and just see how it goes. If it's a disaster, then I simply return to "normal" life somewhere (not here, not in this job, but hopefully in a year I would find somewhere I would like to relocate to). Unless there was some major catastrophe in that year (yes, I realize that is possible, but I don't want to be so afraid that something might go wrong that I just don't do anything), I would have enough to live on the road for a year and still have some $ to get established somewhere. I could also just rent out my house and not sell it, giving me a bit of flexibility to come back to a place after a year. The mortgage is super cheap at less than $800, but the property taxes are crazy. The thought of being a remote landlord is not appealing to me though. The other thing is, no matter what I decide, I will not likely hit the road immediately when I get my trailer. Since I do still have the house, I will start with weekend trips and take some time to get a feel for it. Unfortunately, due to my job, I really can't take more than weekend trips. I haven't taken a vacation in two years, and it is not looking good for this year. 

Thanks again for the replies! 

On 5/4/2017 at 4:47 PM, SWharton said:

Liz,

There are plenty of volunteer opportunities(free camping), subscribe to the Workamper News for paying jobs and look into Amazon Workforce(this may be your ideal job). Unless you boondock you will probably find gas and campsite the most expensive items in your daily expenses. I believe Escapees has a "job  board" their site. You could also volunteer for CARE, room and board included I believe. Alaska is always looking for help, great way to see Alaska.

I am sure others will have additional suggestions.

Good luck.

Thank you! I have seen some of these resources and some others, and have just applied for some volunteer jobs in exchange for RV sites on volunteer.gov, but I wonder how likely it is to actually get results from these things. I know some people do it, but I don't know whether it is easy to land a job or if there is a lot of demand and it's hard to get a job. I guess time will tell. I had not heard of CARE, but I checked it out and that looks interesting. The pet sitting especially appeals to me :) I will check out Amazon in more detail. I do plan to boondock when possible, but as you can imagine since I am still in the planning stages, I am still figuring all that out. 

4 hours ago, LizD said:

I am considering various ways to do this, and one is to go for a year and just see how it goes.

If unsure, this would not be a bad way to try things. I would sure do at least some RV traveling to test the lifestyle first and to ease into things. I worry when people indicate that they are "burning bridges" as they move to the RV life with no previous experience. As much as I love the fulltime lifestyle, I also realize that it really isn't for the majority of people. You sound like one who has the potential to make it work, but there is really no way for us to judge for you.

4 hours ago, LizD said:

I know some people do it, but I don't know whether it is easy to land a job or if there is a lot of demand and it's hard to get a job.

We spent a great deal of time living as RV resident volunteers with several different agencies and we loved that lifestyle. If interested in our experiences I have a lot of information about our experiences on our website as well as a list of ways that we found our positions. Volunteer for site positions come with a lot of amenities that help to lower costs of living and allow you to have many experiences that you could not have in any other way. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

One thing that no one has mentioned(at least I didn't see it) is Escapees has RV Boot Camp. It is offered several times a year at various locations. Always before Escapade, it would be worth your while to get your rig and then do boot camp. First, you will learn how to work all your systems; second, you will meet fellow rvers. There will be one in Sedalia, MO the week before Escapade(5/27-6/1). If you have the time stay for Escapade also, it is one giant learning experience. You need to sign up for Boot Camp as soon as you can as it is very popular. Escapade you have some leeway but not much.

Check the Escapees Site under Education for more info.

Hope to see you there.

Liz, Becky with InterstellarOrchard also works for Amazon during the Christmas holidays.  She gets a referral for people she recruits.  You might want to check with her about working conditions, pay, etc.  She wrote about her Amazon job on her blog.  If you can't find it, let me know and I'll look for it and send it to you.

If there is any way to take more than a weekend I would suggest that.  What is the worst they could do... fire you which could be a blessing.

I worked remotely before I officially retired but am now just work camping.  I tried Amazon last winter and the loud industrial work was not for me.  I have been working in and near national parks and on my way to my job traveling from Seattle to Medora ND was offered a job at every campground I stayed at.  I too boondocks as much as possible.

Insurance varies from state to state.  My legal residence of WA was 300 a month and my same income now that I have moved for seasonal employment in ND is zero with a 6000 deductible.  It charges every year and also charges if you have networks if you travel out of state.  But at least you can get insurance beyond your legal residence if you have a job in another state.

Good luck

Teri

On 5/4/2017 at 10:44 AM, LizD said:

Yeah the health insurance is a big unknown. I'm 43 and won't have any employer benefits even if I were to wait until retirement. 

A colossal understatement.

So you'll have no guaranteed source of income, $50k or so in savings + sale of house money (let's say $250k), and you'll have to buy your own health care for at least 22 years.

Let's do some math . . . 

Currently, the average cost for individual health insurance premiums is $393 per month. Remember, this is just the cost of the insurance premium, not any deductibles, balanced billing, prescription drug, or other out-of-pocket costs.

Let's figure a modest 5% increase in premium cost per year. By my calculations, health insurance premium cost over 22 years would total about $182k.

So over 60% of your estimated $300k savings would be spent on just health insurance premiums.

Health insurance will not be a big cost. It will be the big cost.

But, hey, maybe Washington will create a great, affordable health care system.

However, if I were you, I'd continue working until this all shakes out.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

3 hours ago, SWharton said:

One thing that no one has mentioned(at least I didn't see it) is Escapees has RV Boot Camp. It is offered several times a year at various locations. Always before Escapade, it would be worth your while to get your rig and then do boot camp. First, you will learn how to work all your systems; second, you will meet fellow rvers. There will be one in Sedalia, MO the week before Escapade(5/27-6/1). If you have the time stay for Escapade also, it is one giant learning experience. You need to sign up for Boot Camp as soon as you can as it is very popular. Escapade you have some leeway but not much.

Check the Escapees Site under Education for more info.

Hope to see you there.

As one (wife & I) who went directly from House, 2 jobs, 2 cars, etc... and NO RV experience... to Full time RV'ing, starting with the Escapees RV Bootcamp, I can strongly 2nd your recommendation!   It made a huge difference.   We are in our 5th year now of Full time RV'ing, and we love it.

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

Hi LizD. I hope you don't get too discouraged from the tone of most of this advice. It sounds as though you have done a lot of research and prep and are more prepared than many who embrace the full-time RV lifestyle. I know a large number of folks who started full-timing with a lot less in the bank, and they are loving life. Prepare for what you can, and give it your best shot. 

RE: the "RV lifestyle" -- there isn't (just) one. It's what you make of it.  With your interests, and the attitude you project, I think you will do great. :)   I hope to meet you on the road!

-- another 43-year-old unemployed full-time RVer (who is extremely lucky to have a spouse who works for $$ and insurance!)

BizCard.JPG

Another work option is at the Escapee Rainbow Parks, I know nothing about this but I believe they are trained in "park management" and move from park to park.

I have heard that many volunteer jobs in parks can be had by asking the ranger when you are in the park. They like to see you face to face.

18 hours ago, SWharton said:

One thing that no one has mentioned(at least I didn't see it) is Escapees has RV Boot Camp.

Thank you! I will check it out.

18 hours ago, Cat Lady said:

Liz, Becky with InterstellarOrchard also works for Amazon during the Christmas holidays.  She gets a referral for people she recruits.  You might want to check with her about working conditions, pay, etc.  She wrote about her Amazon job on her blog.

Thanks! Yes, I have read much on Becky's blog as well as RV Sue's. I did see Becky's posts about Amazon. Could be an option, but the hours are crazy and it sounds exhausting..BUT, it is for a relatively short period of time so I can definitely see how it would pay off.

14 hours ago, jlapeer said:

As one (wife & I) who went directly from House, 2 jobs, 2 cars, etc... and NO RV experience... to Full time RV'ing, starting with the Escapees RV Bootcamp, I can strongly 2nd your recommendation!   It made a huge difference.   We are in our 5th year now of Full time RV'ing, and we love it.

Good to know! I will definitely keep that in mind.

10 hours ago, a_elkins said:

Hi LizD. I hope you don't get too discouraged from the tone of most of this advice. It sounds as though you have done a lot of research and prep and are more prepared than many who embrace the full-time RV lifestyle. I know a large number of folks who started full-timing with a lot less in the bank, and they are loving life. Prepare for what you can, and give it your best shot. 

RE: the "RV lifestyle" -- there isn't (just) one. It's what you make of it.  With your interests, and the attitude you project, I think you will do great. :)   I hope to meet you on the road!

-- another 43-year-old unemployed full-time RVer (who is extremely lucky to have a spouse who works for $$ and insurance!)

Thank you for this! I know it is not going to be easy, and I am just trying to do exactly what you say, prepare for what I can and do my best. I am so unhappy in my job that I just cannot imagine that 20 more years here is the answer, even if it is more practical - I think the only sticking point is the health insurance. Between high premiums and lack of a nationwide provider network, it just seems like an almost impossible hurdle. I am still researching and have found the rverinsurance website, but there is a lot to figure out. 

Thanks again, everyone! I appreciate all the perspectives.

I don't know  if it is the same site for insurance as what you found but I believe  on the Escapees site there is an "insurance exchange/info".  I did a quick look but couldn't find it so may not exist anymore. If you can find a company that is mentioned on Escapees you may be better off. They probably understand full-timers and the special needs. I know Alliant Credit Union, from personal experience, understands our minor problems and works around them. 

Liz, if you want to do something badly enough, do it.  You'll find a way to work around your problems.  Adapt and adjust.  Life is too dang short to work in a place you despise.  Even if you have to take a lower paying temporary job, if it's something you enjoy, go for it.  Have you checked out the Obamacare site?  I believe premiums are based on your salary.  Blue Cross/Blue Shield crosses state lines.  I have it along with Medicare (primary...I'm an old geezer, lol).  Don't give up.  You'll find a way.  

Thanks, Cat Lady! Yes, I am persisting, but just trying to be smart about it so I don't fall flat on my face. I have checked the Obamacare site but need to spend some more time on it. I think for emergencies (which is really all I would care about), all the plans cross state lines. It might also be worth checking into COBRA coverage from my employer. It may be sky high, but I just don't know.

1 hour ago, SWharton said:

I don't know  if it is the same site for insurance as what you found but I believe  on the Escapees site there is an "insurance exchange/info".  I did a quick look but couldn't find it so may not exist anymore. If you can find a company that is mentioned on Escapees you may be better off. They probably understand full-timers and the special needs. I know Alliant Credit Union, from personal experience, understands our minor problems and works around them. 

I think the site I found was through Esacpees, so we are probably thinking of the same one (I may not have had the name correct in my post). It is the one that Kyle Hensen is associated with. I think I just need to give them a call.

Archived