SD domicile and TX mailing address

We are former Californian's, still have a vacation home, and rental property in San Diego area. Filing 540NR yearly now. We are Americas Mailbox, and they did a great job helping us thru the process of changing Domicile. All of our banking and other related mail got to Americas Mailbox. Late last year, we also added Livingston Escapees Mail Forwarding too. We use this as our address for all things related to Alieracare. (Following the advise of a known commercial member of this board, and also after confirming with Alieracare that this was also fine with them too. They understand that we're traveling in our RV.) So you can have both if you wish. But I see know reason to not just keep using the Escapees, and transfer it to SD, or just go with Americas Mailbox mail forwarding service - they are both very good at what they do:)!

Same caution that Kirk gave you, I'm not an attorney, and encourage you to do your own research. 

When changing Domicile to SD in 2012, we consulted with our longtime California attorney, that created and maintained our wills & trusts over the years. He did some checking, and said unless we had some reason to update our trust (We did not at that time, and still don't today.) that our Californian Trusts would be fine to keep as is. Especially since our Trustee/Daughter is in California. He said that South Dakota and California (And many, many other states.) have reciprocal agreements. He did say two other things: 1) If we ever need to do an update to the will/trust, then go ahead at that time and have it shifted over to SD. 2) If we come off the road, and choose a different state to do so then South Dakota (And frankly we have no clue as to where we will come off the road, as we're still exploring many more states:)!), to be sure to check for reciprocal agreements between that state, and California (From memory, about 12 states did not have friendly reciprocal agreements with California at that time.). If they have an agreement, then our choice for ease of Trustee execution if we want to change. (But who knows where our daughter maybe in the future:)!) Or, just go ahead and change over at that time. 

One final note. We had an appointment established back in 2012 on our SD Domicile changeover trip with an attorney in Rapid City. He actually had answered the phone when we called to make the appointment, as we talked aerospace for sometime too. When I got the reading from our California attorney, I called back to cancel the appointment. He answered again, and I shared the input I had received. He said he agreed, and to please look him up whenever we might want to update the will/trust. 

Again, I'm not a lawyer - but that was what we did back in 2012... 

Best to you,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

On 5/8/2017 at 6:33 PM, soos said:

I have numerous vehicles registered in TX and I never gone to TX to get it done, they were All done remotely from around the country.

Do you remember what you did?  I can't remember, since the last time I newly registered a vehicle in Texas was in 2003--was a Texas inspection required to newly register a vehicle back before the "new" law that requires an inspection in order to renew a registration?

On 5/12/2017 at 6:28 PM, Blues said:

Do you remember what you did?  I can't remember, since the last time I newly registered a vehicle in Texas was in 2003--was a Texas inspection required to newly register a vehicle back before the "new" law that requires an inspection in order to renew a registration?

I remember that I called Polk county and they walked me thru the entire process- what forms to fill out, etc,  even told me how much to write the checks for.

the inspection law only pertained to vehicles that were in the state of Texas- we were in Indiana at the time.

Sue and Paul- fulltimed 2009 -2015 with Dozer, our Gray Tuxedo cat

2012 DRV Mobile Suites 36TKSB4 pulled by a 2020 F350 Platinum

Our "vacation home" : 2018 Arctic Fox 1150 truck camper

RIP Dozey

http://soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com/

Exactly what soos said. I have probably done this for 6-7 vehicles over the last 20 years since I joined escapees. Once or twice they told me how to  download needed forms instead of waiting for them to mail me some.  My only suggestion is if you are trying to expedite things use US Post Office  instead of FEDEX. Fedex can work but I had a major problem once using Fedex due to Fedex ground delivery not picking up the tags and completed paperwork sitting in the tax office. Fedex ground is usually contracted and he had a problem with the label and the packaging.  Fedex on my end had no problem picking it up and getting it to the tax office. This doesn't happen everywhere but  it isn't worth the hassel. If I am ever  needing it quicker like that one time I will use US Post Office overnight mail.

I can't help but say that must be the best tax office I have ever dealt with for vehicles.

South Dakota is really attractive for setting up residency.  I stayed one night in an RV park and brought in the receipt.  My wife and I were residents after about an hour at DMV.  There are a lot of advantages, including no income taxes, low registration costs, no inspections, and no hassles of any type.    Our vehicle and RV insurance costs dropped.  Even our Medicare supplemental insurance costs dropped. 

A couple of years later, we had a major issue with theft and lost our IDs.  I picked up the phone and got wonderful help from the government officials.  Within hours we had temporary IDs by email.  Within a few days we had new driver's licenses. 

There are all sorts of legal issues and uncertainty about residency for a full timer who travels.  I would definitely not try to use a mail forwarding address that is different than the residency address.  It may be a nuisance but it is definitely worth it to change the mail forwarding address and service.  South Dakota has several mail forwarding companies who have reasonable fees and reliable service.

On 5/5/2017 at 1:36 PM, 2gypsies said:

In fact, that law has been passed out of the House committee and is awaiting a full house vote.  It will likely pass and be signed from what I've seen.  It doesn't take effect until March 2018 unless something has changed.  It will be interesting to see what TX does in the interim.

Archived