USPS Informed Delivery

Kirk W

3 minutes ago, Kirk Wood said:

There is a new service being tested by the USPS called Informed Delivery, but I can't figure out just what it does for us? Check this one out and let us know what you think of the new plan.

Looks like a way for the Post Office to reduce their cost for delivering junk mail. Also will get some mail into the hands of the consumer who uses a service like escapees mail quicker. It appears not to be very useful to the consumer, unless there is a way to tell the Post Office not to deliver the mailed item!

Frank
Kay - Co-pilot

Roscoe and Maggie - Rescue Beagles

"I asked God to send us a True Friend. He sent us a Beagle!"
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

sounds more like a program for someone who does mass mailings. Not he receiver of mail. unless the mailer asks for you to participate.

2000 National RV Sea Breeze 5th wheel 30ft.

So.California

1950 F1 street rod

1949 F1 stock V8 flathead

1948 F6 350 chevy/rest stock, no dump bed shortened frame.

1953 chevy 3100 AD for 85 S10 frame

1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor 170 hp, king coil-overs,etc

1970 Baha Bug wihg 2332cc, King coil overs and everything else there is.

1998.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins, turbo, trans, injectors, lockers, bigger turbo,edge EZ upgrades for towing 35" BFG's, air dog lift pump etc.

39 minutes ago, mrfrank said:

Looks like a way for the Post Office to reduce their cost for delivering junk mail.

How does it do that? I didn't see any option listed to tell them not to deliver junk mail and if that were the case, it would also make the USPS even more strapped for money as who would pay for junk mail service if most of it didn't get delivered? You still receive all of your junk mail, or your mail service receives it, but you know it will be arriving before that happens. Who cares?

 Consumer gets convenience of digital preview of physical mail

If you wish first-hand information, why not sign up and then share with us what it does for you?

Informed Delivery sign up now!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I checked on USPS Informed Delivery and found that it is not currently available for PO Box users. This is a future plan. In the meantime, something called Real Mail Notification without images may be available, but you must check with your individual Post Office.

3 hours ago, Ed ke6bnl said:

sounds more like a program for someone who does mass mailings. Not he receiver of mail. unless the mailer asks for you to participate.

well I just signed up for it, it is not available to all zip codes but worked for my rural area and it may help me from making the near mile trip to the mile box for no reason.

2000 National RV Sea Breeze 5th wheel 30ft.

So.California

1950 F1 street rod

1949 F1 stock V8 flathead

1948 F6 350 chevy/rest stock, no dump bed shortened frame.

1953 chevy 3100 AD for 85 S10 frame

1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor 170 hp, king coil-overs,etc

1970 Baha Bug wihg 2332cc, King coil overs and everything else there is.

1998.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins, turbo, trans, injectors, lockers, bigger turbo,edge EZ upgrades for towing 35" BFG's, air dog lift pump etc.

I just signed up with my mail forwarding address. It'll be interesting to see how well it works. On the package side, I already get notified of any packages enroute from label creation to delivery.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Back in the good ol day you just licked a stamp and put it on the envelope. Mail got through rain, hail n snow. Now folks are 'smarter' and it costs more but it takes longer to deliver something!!! Where did I miss the improvements for the money?

I routinely get Amazon shipments in two days, and letters from the west coast to upstate NY in 4-5 days.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

since we have reduced the majority of our snail mail with email and the only important is Sandi's quad annually BP meds I don't see any advantage.  Let's face it USPS is a day late and many dollars short.

John

2017 F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7 4.10 B&W hitch

2017 DRV MS 36RSSB3

I got an email recently from USPS saying this service was available in my area.  The USPS provides an online scan of the outside of envelopes coming to your address.  I got very excited, as we are full time, and use the My RV Mail mail forwarding service.  Our service only gives us a text description of incoming mail with the sender's name, and the weight of the envelope.  Don't know if the mail is addressed to me, or my wife, or what the return address location is.  With the USPS service, we would be able to see that information.  But alas, when I plugged in my address on the USPS website, it said the service was not available for my address.  I was assuming it was because I use a mail forwarding service.

Mike and Retha Hopkins

2014 Fleetwood Discovery 40G

Archived