Auxiliary Fuel Tank

Scuba4fun2

So like others who are pulling an RV, I'd like to add an auxiliary diesel fuel tank to my 2016 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie dually.  I've identified a tank I'd like....and RDS from Northern Tool.  But I'm having a difficult time finding a shop that will install it.  Neither my local mechanic or dealership will take on the work.  I've consulted with several friends in the area that are known to have made custom mods on their "toys" and got nothing regarding referrals.  So since my salesman, who I got the truck from is a good friend, I asked him "Why am I having such a hard time?".  He said there are few willing to do it anymore since DOT regulations and the liability associated with leaks and spills are not worth it.  Still, he has a contact or two that he is going to ask, but suggested I take to the forums for help.  I do have one friend who did the same to his Dodge truck and can use his mechanic, but that's 90 mins away and am trying to avoid the trip if not needed.  If I do need to travel, then so be it.  

What am I missing?  Are others who have been thru this finding the same challenges?  

I live in north central Ohio on Lake Erie, so anyone with recommendations in the Amherst, Vermillion, Huron, Sandusky, Norwalk or Port Clinton area would be appreciated.

8 hours ago, jloux2012 said:

We have the same truck and just had it done by a friend. Sorry, he is located in S. California.

Mind if I asked which tank you bought?  And if you like it?  Is it gravity fed or pump fed?  Reading a lot of negative stuff on the gravity feds, but mostly from the pump fed manufacturers.

Easiest way to add a tank, aside from replacing the stock tank, is to use a tank with a pump and filler hose. Don't tie it into the truck's plumbing, that's where the problems start. Too many people have plumbed a 100 gal tank into a 30 gal truck tank, and driven off with the valve open. Hilarity does not ensue.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

• I've had no troubles getting an installation, our 70 gallon tank/toolbox was installed in 2006 by Catlin Truck Accessories in Jacksonville. FL.  It was their own system with a 12v pump and filter pumping into the fuel filler neck.  The switch is in the cab along with a the fuel level gauge.  I had the system moved from the 2007 to the 2014 F350 by a trusted mechanic in Robertsdale, AL.  I would think a good mechanic in OH should be able to do the work for you but might charge more as it's out of the ordinary.      Greg  

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

When I bought my 06 Chevy a aux tank was already installed, manufactured by Dually Depot, of Elkhart, IN. I have since helped install 2 other units in buddies trucks which is not that hard to do. I have the 109 Gal unit that uses a 12V pump to transfer fuel into the truck fuel fill neck and the pump is mounted under the truck next to the frame rail. There is a switch mounted on the dash that turns the transfer pump on/off. I have also mounted a kitchen egg timer that I set to 60 minutes to remind me to turn the pump off and have never overfilled the tank in 8 years. The tank sits below the truck bed sides which allows me to have a soft tonneau cover over the tank and truck bed, out of sight out of mind. It's been a great accessory and I now that I've gotten used to the benefits, I would not travel without it, (it will be moved to my next truck). Don't get the farm tanks with pump and hose, it's much easier to hit the switch while going down the road.

Greg

11 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Easiest way to add a tank, aside from replacing the stock tank, is to use a tank with a pump and filler hose. Don't tie it into the truck's plumbing, that's where the problems start. Too many people have plumbed a 100 gal tank into a 30 gal truck tank, and driven off with the valve open. Hilarity does not ensue.

I added a 40 gallon Dee Zee I purchased from Amazon and plumbed it into the filler neck using the "kit" method which is gravity feed.  I have been using this method on 2 different trucks since 2011 without any problems. The only time I feel a need to close the aux tank discharge valve is when fueling and not sure it is necessary then unless removing the main tank fuel cap.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

I was next to a guy from Kentucky last winter that had a 150 gallon semi tank in the back of his truck. He said he purchased some sort of kit that went into the filler neck and had a ball that floated to shut the fuel off from the aux. tank plus he had a solenoid valve that he could turn off and it wouldn't allow fuel to drain from the tank. He said he has turned it on and left it on and had no problem what so ever. That may be an option?

VisitedStatesMap.gif

3 hours ago, Bob Vaughn said:

I bought the RDS 37 gallon unit from Camping World and they installed it.....

Bob,

Thx for the info.  If you don't mind me asking, what did they charge you for doing the installation work?  Are you happy with the work they did?  Professional and clean with grommets where the hoses go thru the bed?

Thx, Chris

I had the tank installed in early 2014 right before heading out to Alaska.  They did a great job on the install as it is a gravity fed tank there is a petcock that I turn to drain into the main tank when it gets low.  I do not remember how much I paid and I could not find the receipt I will go to the camper tomorrow and see if I put the receipt in there and get back to you.  We go from Tampa to Pensacola which is over 500 miles and I do not have to fill up till we start home then it only takes 60 gallons for both tanks.  I love not having to look for a fuel stop that I can get into and out of with the 5th wheel ......It was a very professional job.......

I have had two gravity flow tanks and have never had a problem !  I made my own neck fill attachment  [ I did not know that you could buy them ]. When my OEM tank got low ya open a valve and it flows , Never had an overflow , mine would not !   I believe todays closed fuel systems will not allow an overflow , my last to Rams worked fine .

As an aside , many moons ago on a planet far away , I worked for a fiberglass mechanic in the V.I.making tanks for yacht boats . We made molds out of plywood , waxed em , glass and resin and ya had a tank . The fiberglass  mechanic told me that if you ever make one for yourself do not  wax the mold , leave the plywood on there for added strength . I have made and used three with no problems . From the out side they look like a plywood box on an old rednecks truck . Today if so inclined I would buy one from Tractor Supply in steel . The cost of resin being the reason !

Archived