Roaming Areas on Verizon's Unlimited Plan

LindaH

As I understand it, there are basically three issues with Verizon's new Unlimited plan:

1.  22GB limit, after which you may be "prioritized" if on a congested tower, resulting in slower speeds.  This is "per line."

2.  10GB hot spot limit, after which the speed drops down to 3G.  This is "per line."

3.  In "domestic roaming areas," speeds are 2G.

I understand the first two (I think), but am having a hard time finding out information about the roaming areas.  Earlier today, I tried both a chat at Verizon's website and actually talking with a real live person via phone.  Either I'm not making myself clear, or they simply don't understand Verizon's clearly stated 2G speeds in "domestic roaming areas." 

What I'm trying to find out is WHERE these "domestic roaming areas" are.  We are often in out-of-the-way areas as we travel during the winter, but we "usually" have a 4G signal (sometimes 3G and sometimes no signal at all, but those are rare).  However, I don't know if any of the areas where we currently have a 4G signal are really "domestic roaming areas" which would drop down to 2G if I switch to the Unlimited plan.

Anyone know anything about this issue?

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

I can tell you that if your in the Northwest US within the USCC footprint, that when you roam from VZW to USCC, your data will definitely drop from LTE (4G), to CDMA 1X (2G). The 1X data is just about unusable, but you can at least make phone calls with it. On our phones the signal display usually changes from LTE to 1X when roaming.

I see 4G, 3G, or 1X on my phone (unless, of course, there's no signal at all).  So the 1X is roaming?  If that's the case, there are few, if any, areas where we stay for any period of time where I see 1X.  In fact, every place we stay for any period of time has 4G service (otherwise, we wouldn't stay there for more than just overnight).

So I guess I'm good to go...?

Thanks!

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

Hi Linda,

My first thought were of Technomadia's "Coverage" app, of which they've just came out with a few new features. (Droid application. And then a yearly subscription that provides more finite detail. (And to offset the ongoing costs of development maintenance to keep the app in sync with the latest and greatest as far as coverage.).

I posted an a question on their site, to find out if it includes roaming vs non roaming visibility... If it does, this could be exactly what your looking for.

I plan to add the Droid app when we I get my S6 updated to S8 in the near future. (Want to wait, so I can move the downloaded info over to the SIM card. My S6 is pretty dang full at this time(:!)

If one of the "2C's" don't 'come aboard' (They're boaters now too:)!) to update on this thread. I'll share the answer I get from my posted question.

Best to you and all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

4 hours ago, LindaH said:

I see 4G, 3G, or 1X on my phone (unless, of course, there's no signal at all).  So the 1X is roaming?  If that's the case, there are few, if any, areas where we stay for any period of time where I see 1X.  In fact, every place we stay for any period of time has 4G service (otherwise, we wouldn't stay there for more than just overnight).

So I guess I'm good to go...?

Thanks!

Most phones have a visual indication when they're roaming. What you're looking at here, is the type of network connection, not the actual network.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

2 hours ago, Smitty77_7 said:

Hi Linda,

My first thought were of Technomadia's "Coverage" app, of which they've just came out with a few new features. (Droid application. And then a yearly subscription that provides more finite detail. (And to offset the ongoing costs of development maintenance to keep the app in sync with the latest and greatest as far as coverage.).

I posted an a question on their site, to find out if it includes roaming vs non roaming visibility... If it does, this could be exactly what your looking for.

I plan to add the Droid app when we I get my S6 updated to S8 in the near future. (Want to wait, so I can move the downloaded info over to the SIM card. My S6 is pretty dang full at this time(:!)

If one of the "2C's" don't 'come aboard' (They're boaters now too:)!) to update on this thread. I'll share the answer I get from my posted question.

Best to you and all,

Smitty

Cherie confirmed their paid for version of the Coverage APP does provide this info. And note, the DW has helped us on choosing longer term locations based upon potential coverage... Pretty slick:)!

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

6 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Most phones have a visual indication when they're roaming. What you're looking at here, is the type of network connection, not the actual network.

Most VZW phones now say "extended network" instead of "roam" or roaming", and it doesn't always say it when you are indeed roaming. Using an app like "Signal check pro" will tell you who's tower your on.

18 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

On older phones we've had in the past, there was a "roam" indicator.  However, I've never seen any such indicator on my current phone.  Either the phone doesn't have that feature, or we've never been in a roaming area.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

16 hours ago, Smitty77_7 said:

Cherie confirmed their paid for version of the Coverage APP does provide this info. And note, the DW has helped us on choosing longer term locations based upon potential coverage... Pretty slick:)!

Smitty

Do you have the name of this app?  I couldn't find it in the Google Play Store.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

Thanks for the link, BlueLghtning!  I never would have found it by myself...I was searching for something from Technomedia.  It isn't until you read the blurb about the app that it says anything about being from Techomedia!

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

Driving through eastern oklahoma/western arkansas my verizon phone roams a bunch speeds are usable for checking email and such though but very slow.

My mobley in the same locations had much better speeds, but AT&T's 3G network is way faster than verizon's and us cellular evdo.

5 hours ago, LindaH said:

Thanks for the link, BlueLghtning!  I never would have found it by myself...I was searching for something from Technomedia.  It isn't until you read the blurb about the app that it says anything about being from Techomedia!

X's 2 Thanks BlueLghtnig!

Sorry Linda - I missed the question:)! And I should have provided a link to start with...

I actually did some much needed house cleaning on my S6, and went ahead and added the Coverage app to my phone today. (We still have the non yearly subscription Coverage app on my wife's iPhone. So over this next few months travels, I'll compare the two from time to time.)

Best,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

I've checked the above-referenced Technomedia app for coverage of the places we normally stay long term in the winter plus the various routes we take to and from our home to Arizona.  According to the app, all of the places we stay long term are 4G, not roaming...yea!  Hopefully, real-life experience this coming winter will bear this out.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

There are problems with the app. It shows a signal from Verizon at my brothers address. The area has absolutely no cellular coverage from anyone. 

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

1 hour ago, Ronbo said:

There are problems with the app. It shows a signal from Verizon at my brothers address. The area has absolutely no cellular coverage from anyone. 

I'm pretty sure I read that the app uses the maps from the carriers themselves as theroritically where there should be coverage, but of course that is not always real world experience. It just allows you to overlay all the carrier maps in one easy to see map screen on your phone and also break down by the different type of coverage that should be available for each.

Does Verizon's own coverage maps report coverage at your brother's house too? 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

A backup to this app would be the ones where user input and real life signal reports actually reports back to the map. I think there are a few of them out there but Sensorly is one I know about. These only work though if someone has traveled that area with the app running in the background. - http://sensorly.com/

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

19 hours ago, Ronbo said:

The map shows no service in Pioche, NV, but when we were there last year, there was 3G.  My notes indicate that the signal was almost unusable. 

Something must have changed in the area, though, as far as the towers are concerned, because we've stayed a week at the free RV park in Pioche on a couple of different occasions, and we wouldn't have done that if the data signal was unusable.  Seems to me that we've had 4G in the area on previous trips, albeit, with a low signal.  Unfortunately, I just started keeping track of Verizon's signal in the areas we travel this past year, so my memory may be flawed.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

Archived