Waiting for the bad news...

Shawn Patterson

A (not so) funny thing happened on the way to the East Coast Rally!  I got the dreaded Check Engine light and a message of "SCR Performance Low, Engine in Derate, 5 MPH limit in < 150 Min".

I stopped and checked the active codes and the first two I had seen before, but the last one was new and is related to the engine being in derate from what I understand:

4094 FMI 18 - Nox Limits Exceeded Due to Insufficient Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) Quality - Data valid but below normal operational range (Moderately severe level)

5394 FMI 17 - Aftertreatment Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) Dosing Valve - Data valid but below normal operational range (Least severe level)

5249 FMI 16 - Aftertreatment SCR Operator Inducement Severity- Data valid but above normal operational range (Moderately severe level)

I had these codes once before, but the issue cleared itself up, which is not uncommon from what I understand.  I wasn't that lucky this time.

Well, we stopped for the night at that point as I was torn on whether or not to continue on toward Nashville or backtrack to Memphis since it was closer.  The next morning we decided to roll the dice and keep heading East and try to make it to Nacarato Volvo on the south side of Nashville.  About 60 miles out, the computer dropped the warning to <15 Minutes before 5 MPH derate.  I wasn't willing to push my luck and decided to stop at the TA truck stop and see if it indeed went into full derate.  15 minutes later it did...

Earlier in the day while we were sitting at breakfast, I was doing some Google searches on the codes and the issue we were having and I found a YouTube video from a trucker who conveniently pointed out where the speed sensor on the IShift transmission was.  5 minutes later after yanking the connector loose and putting the IShift into Manual mode, we were on our way!  The engine was still in derate mode and on some of those uphill runs I dropped to 45 MPH in 10th gear, but it got us to a decent campground just a few miles from the dealership.

I dropped the truck off early this morning and as of 4:30 this afternoon they hadn't worked on it yet.  I am having them drain the DEF tank completely, replace the filter that is in the DEF pump and clean/replace any remaining screens or filters in the system.  Hopefully, with that and a parked regen or two, we'll be back in business.

After this, I will make sure to keep the DEF tank topped off when we are sitting and drain the DEF tank and replace the DEF pump filter annually in the hopes that this will avoid any future issues.

I'll let everyone know how it plays out!

Shawn and Andrea
Elvis the Cheagle Dog
2013 Volvo 730 / iShift / D13 XE Package / ET Hitch
2016 DRV Mobile Suites 43 Atlanta
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited

Read the blog at 40foothouse.com

R8O2pAw.jpg

Have them check the doser nozzle. 

DEF will sometimes clog up the nozzle when it's not used often enough. It sounds from the codes you are getting you may have a faulty NOX sensor (I believe there are 3 of them on the Volvo motor and they are different part numbers) ask them for the pressure readings on the DPF can before and after the forced regen. Also ask them to pull the "history of the regen pressures" since they will have the computer hooked up to the truck. Have you had the DPF cleaned or otherwise worked on since owning the truck?

MrSeas, thanks for the info!  Nothing done on the DPF except a couple of parked regens and a forced regen. 1st parked regen and the forced were due to a leaking seal on the charged air side of the turbo.  Latest one was a few months back after getting the check engine light and the two codes mentioned above.  I'm guessing the DPF is ok, or at least the computer thinks it is as it isn't calling for a parked regen and won't let me initiate one.

Hoping the NOX sensors aren't the problem as they are pricey... Then again, there isn't much in this system that isn't, and it would be way cheaper than replacing the SCR.  My guess is that the pre-SCR NOX sensor and post-SCR NOX sensor aren't showing enough of a delta, so the system thinks the DEF is bad and/or the SCR isn't functioning properly.  That's just a guess though... ;)

Shawn and Andrea
Elvis the Cheagle Dog

R8O2pAw.jpg

36 minutes ago, pratten said:

Good luck in getting back on the road!

Thanks! At least we didn't have to put the Good Sam Roadside assistance to the test!

Shawn and Andrea
Elvis the Cheagle Dog

R8O2pAw.jpg

2 minutes ago, Heavymetal said:

Where did you end up and do you need your rig brought to Deerrun?

That, right there folks, is what makes a forum like this so great.

Let's hear it for Heavymetal!!!

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

If you have any fault codes related to the SCR system you will not be able to do a regen until the faults are cleared.  After the problems are corrected insure that the fault codes are cleared and the SCR maintanence codes are reset to allow regens in the future. 

1 hour ago, VegasFlyer said:

That, right there folks, is what makes a forum like this so great.

Let's hear it for Heavymetal!!!

Forums are really great when you are in need. 

2016 Western Star 5700xe (Pathfinder) DD15 555hp

w/12 speed automatic 3:05 diffs

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

2 Great Danes

9 hours ago, Heavymetal said:

Where did you end up and do you need your rig brought to Deerrun?

Thanks for the offer!  We are at the Nashville I-24 Campground just south of the city.  I am hoping to get an update on the truck this morning. If it's going to take time to resolve the issue we might need to get the trailer to Deer Run as the site we are at is booked on Friday.

Shawn and Andrea
Elvis the Cheagle Dog

R8O2pAw.jpg

48 minutes ago, Shawn Patterson said:

Thanks for the offer!  We are at the Nashville I-24 Campground just south of the city.  I am hoping to get an update on the truck this morning. If it's going to take time to resolve the issue we might need to get the trailer to Deer Run as the site we are at is booked on Friday.

(936)348-0360. Just give a shout and we will head your way. 

Richard

2 Great Danes

44 minutes ago, Heavymetal said:

(936)348-0360. Just give a shout and we will head your way. 

Richard

Thanks a million Richard!  Talked to the dealership around 9:30 and there was one truck in front of us, so hopefully they will be working on it soon.  So much for getting into the "Uptime" bay within 2 hours...

Shawn and Andrea
Elvis the Cheagle Dog

R8O2pAw.jpg

8 minutes ago, Shawn Patterson said:

Thanks a million Richard!  Talked to the dealership around 9:30 and there was one truck in front of us, so hopefully they will be working on it soon.  So much for getting into the "Uptime" bay within 2 hours...

Hi Shawn,

I hope everything works out for you. I don't know if anyone in the sales department can help you. I bought my truck from this dealership last year. I also think that a couple other people bought there truck from the same dealership. The salesman name was Brian that I bought my truck from. He bought a used truck to the rally last year to show everybody what they have. This is just an idea, talk to Brian, and tell him that you are going to the ECR and see what he can do for you. I know that it is up to the service department but maybe Brian can help.

I am hoping to get to the rally late Friday or early Saturday morning,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

1 hour ago, Shawn Patterson said:

Gods speed and be careful on the wet hwys when you guys get back on the road. 

2 Great Danes

So according to the repair order, a NOX sensor wasn't installed where it should have been! Not sure if it somehow came loose and fell out (seems unlikely), but they re-installed it and it sounds like the initial testing was positive. There is a leak at the dosing nozzle though and it's turbo surging so now we're waiting for one of the advanced diagnostics techs.  I noticed the surging on occasion in the past but it wasn't excessive (150 RPM or so), so I never worried about it as it was only at idle when the engine wasn't at operating temp.

The thing that has me a bit wound up right now is that they have had the truck for 2 days now and the DEF tank hasn't been drained and the filters haven't been replaced/cleaned.  Seems like they could have had a general tech taking care of that while it was waiting for the advanced diagnostic guys.

I will be heading up to the dealership 1st thing tomorrow morning to have a chat with the folks in service and see if Brian in sales is around.

More to come!

Shawn and Andrea
Elvis the Cheagle Dog

R8O2pAw.jpg

Not sure if this was the same video that Shawn was referring to, but here is one that shows how to make a roadside fix to get out of the derate mode to get to a repair facility.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

1 hour ago, VegasFlyer said:

Not sure if this was the same video that Shawn was referring to, but here is one that shows how to make a roadside fix to get out of the derate mode to get to a repair facility.

Yep, that's the one!

Shawn and Andrea
Elvis the Cheagle Dog

R8O2pAw.jpg

Hey Shawn, I live about 20 min from where you are. My trailer will not be ready to take to Crossville, but I am heading in bobtail. Happy to haul the trailer over for you on Saturday when I head over. I'll pm you my number.

Shannon

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

Thanks lockmup68!  I went to the dealership this afternoon and got "assertive" with them.  They were pulling into the advanced diagnostic bay when I left.  I'm going to camp out up there 1st thing tomorrow. If they don't have it fixed by mid-day I may be asking for some help from whoever it's most convenient for on Friday morning as this site is booked after that.

Shawn and Andrea
Elvis the Cheagle Dog

R8O2pAw.jpg

The only thing they could tell me is that the sensor wasn't installed where it was supposed to be and that while it's possible that it came loose and vibrated out that they had never seen that happen.

Shawn and Andrea
Elvis the Cheagle Dog

R8O2pAw.jpg

13 hours ago, lockmup68 said:

Hey Shawn, I live about 20 min from where you are. My trailer will not be ready to take to Crossville, but I am heading in bobtail. Happy to haul the trailer over for you on Saturday when I head over. I'll pm you my number.

Shannon

This type of thing has cropped up before and I was reminded to check with my insurer, his or both insurers to make sure there was coverage.  As I remember being told, No good deed goes unpunished.

1 hour ago, rdickinson said:

This type of thing has cropped up before and I was reminded to check with my insurer, his or both insurers to make sure there was coverage.  As I remember being told, No good deed goes unpunished.

To add to this. My insurance SPECIFICALLY states that I can only pull a trailer that I own, and nothing commercially. Just FYI.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

As has just been stated, I too have the same requirement on my insurance as to what I can legally haul with my HDT....

Be careful out there...

Rick

1998 VOLVO 610 VED-12 @ 425 HP with 13 speed, 22.5" rubber, TC Equipped, single 3.70 drive axle, 193'' WB. REESE, 30K 4 way rocker-hitch, Jordan Ultima 2020. Under-frame mounted Honda 3000 ei, Towing a DRV MobileSuites- 36TK3 with TrailAir Pin Box, a Yamaha Road Star 1700 on deck. http://diesel-gypsy.blogspot.com

Archived