Flooded cell battery cleaner/protector?

Kirk W

I was wondering what products the group favors for your wet cell battery cleaning and corrosion prevention? I have a golf cart that seems to be especially hard on batteries and the fight to prevent corrosion is constant. Might be the poor voltage control of the 1995 cart's recharger, but it constantly needs attention. What do you guys find works best?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

A couple of directions you can go, but the principles are the same. Neutralizing the oxidation, removing contaminates, and protection.

Old school/household items: A wire brush is your friend. Remove what you can, sprinkle with baking soda, add a small bit of water to activate the baking soda to neutralize the oxidation. Wire brush all connections and rinse with water. Wipe dry and allow a little time to fully dry. (using an air compressor will speed things along). After drying, coat all connections lightly with petroleum jelly. It will conduct just fine and will help prevent future corrosion.

"New school": DeoxIT is your friend! DeoxIT spray is my preferred cleaner and neutralizer. Wire brush, rinse, dry, then follow up with DeoxIT M260 (mineral based) grease.

It ain't exactly cheap, but for "set it and forget it" battery maintanence you really can't beat it for excellent conductivity and protection.

You "could" follow up with something like Permatex 80370 terminal sealer. It's a good product to seal the terminal connections, but personally, I don't. It's a PITA to clean off for regular maintanence and I find a light coating of grease is more than sufficient to prevent any future corrosion between maintanence intervals.

Mornin Kirk, I have also seen soooooooooo many carts with that dirty white powdery corrosion and build up on battery terminals. As I'm sure you're well aware, it can be caused by excess outgassing (corrosive gasses)  caused by over charging like so many of the especially older not very well regulated NON Smart chargers. They in no way precisely regulate 3 stages like our modern RV "Smart" Chargers. They can really get the acid fumes boiling out with lots of corrosive gas coating the terminals.

Yarome has given good advice and all I can add is the best cure I've found after a good cleaning and wire brushing (you already know all that) is to use those felt looking washers (even though they don't fit golf cart batteries correctly) and then once all is connected top it off with that red battery terminal protector spray. The combination of felt washers PLUS the red spray provides the best protection I found. SORRY I cant answer your question as far as what brand, but I never noticed any difference as to brand if I used felt washers underneath then red sprayed the tops. 

I'm sure the coatings such as Yarome mentioned can help even more, but I don't like to get too much of anything (a dielectric) that can melt and flow and seek in between the cable ends and the battery posts. That needs to remain metal to metal with NO insulating fluid or compound in between. Sure in my old farm days when I didn't have felt washers or red spray Id just clean everything then dab grease to coat and keep oxygen and gas off the connections, but nowadays I go with the felt washers and red spray. Works for me !!!!!!!

Best wishes, thanks for all your past help

John T  Back home again in Indiana

13 minutes ago, Kirk Wood said:

I'll give DeoxIT spray a try.

Once your contacts are clean you can also just hit it with another shot of DeoxIT. It also acts as a conductive lubricant and protectant. To keep them clean.. hit em with another shot at the first signs of oxidation. It'll dissolve/neutralize it on contact and renew the protectant qualities.

This is not cheap, but I have used it for years. Freightliner OEM batteries installed on their chassis come with it or use to.

It is a spray on paint that you will have no more corrosion at the post if covered real good. I use it on 2 chassis and 2 6V house batteries. One can has lasted so far on replacements two times and still some left in the can.

I have never needed to clean post ever after applied good.   Glyptal Red Insulating Paint Aerosol

A google search may find it cheaper someplace.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Archived