Estimating RV Insurance Cost

Swhight

Hubby and I are shooting to be full-timing in the next 18-24 months. Just starting our research, and we're leaning toward a 25'-29' Class C, lightly used (mileage-wise), fairly recent model. We're looking to pay somewhere in the $60-$90K range, and drive around 10K miles per year (just a guess for now).

Just wondering what we might expect to shell out for RV insurance. What other factors would influence the rate?

Thanks in advance!!

Suzanne

Welcome to a wonderful future and the adventure of a lifetime.

Cost is so dependent on state, county, your driving record, cost of vehicle, add in toad insurance. Call one of the agencies that sell full timer insurance and they will gladly give you an estimate. FCIS, Miller are 2 that come to mind. They should be listed under the Commercial Members on the Escapee site.

• 2 weeks later...

As a former Insurance Agency owner - quick channel of information. After you need insurance you can not buy it! Always buy the kind and type required and then ask how much can I lose of what I own to a court case. Then make your plans to protect what you want or may need. But, please have insurance. The person(s) insurance may not be worth a dime. Deal with known Agents. Your future may depend on the decisions you make.

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

My answer to how much insurance you need is enough to cover what you can't afford to replace otherwise plus enough to cover the costs of defending yourself against the greedy guy who hit you but is blaming you.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Stardreamer,

I don't see anywhere where Swhite said she was not going to get insurance, just a query if we had any feel for the cost. No one suggested she not deal with an agent. FCIS and Miller have been around for years and understand the special needs of a fulltimer. 

Many people think that there Allstate or Nationwide agent is fine. Until they have an accident and find out they did not have thee correct type of insurance. Go with a specialty company and you won't regret it.

Most states have a minimum which we all know is not enough plus there is additional options that need to be selected. As an example: we have full glass replacement, our FCIS agent added that without our asking. I have a friend who has Good Sam and discovered the hard way that they had no glass coverage. I assume GS offers it but no one asked.......................I want my agent to be proactive on my behalf.

2 hours ago, SWharton said:

Stardreamer,

I don't see anywhere where Swhite said she was not going to get insurance, just a query if we had any feel for the cost. No one suggested she not deal with an agent. FCIS and Miller have been around for years and understand the special needs of a fulltimer. 

Many people think that there Allstate or Nationwide agent is fine. Until they have an accident and find out they did not have thee correct type of insurance. Go with a specialty company and you won't regret it.

Most states have a minimum which we all know is not enough plus there is additional options that need to be selected. As an example: we have full glass replacement, our FCIS agent added that without our asking. I have a friend who has Good Sam and discovered the hard way that they had no glass coverage. I assume GS offers it but no one asked.......................I want my agent to be proactive on my behalf.

Thanks for your response. I did not imply misinformation about the proper insurance. If you get a chance talk to your local Police and/or Law Enforcement about the folks that do not have the right coverage or even NO coverage. It is a different world out there now, we just need to be covered.

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

Archived