Locking fuel cap?

Kirk W

Locking fuel tank cap?   

31 members have voted

1. 1. Do you presently use a locking fuel tank cap on your RV/tow vehicle or a towed vehicle?

• Yes
    • No

thread on locking fuel caps on locking fuel caps just made me wonder how many of us use one? We have not had a poll since the change in format, so here is the first one.  Very simple questions, do you use one on your RV or two vehicles?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Our MH has locking panels to cover the fuel caps. DW's Jeep doesn't have a gas cap, my truck has an ordinary cap.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

We are no longer RVing but we are still driving the car we towed when we were. We never had a locking gas cap on any of them. I would have always had to go back to the cab and get the key if we did. However, our various Sprinter vans had a gas line cover you could open only if the driver's door was open so maybe my answer would have been "sort of" if that had been an option. :)

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

No question that most newer vehicles are more secure in the area of fuel cap access as most now have access covers that must be opened from inside of the vehicle and I think that the majority of motorhomes have something of that sort as well. Ours did have a plastic door that used a key for access to the gasoline cap, but it also could very easily have been broken into and there was a decal on that door advising of what type fuel to use. The reason that this struck a cord with me is that my new truck is a 2003 model and it has one of the covers that use a finger hole to open the flap to the fuel filler cap. It is the first vehicle with no security to the fuel access that I have owned in perhaps as much as 20 years. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Our truck came with locking fuel caps but they are a good idea for our use. When you have 3 inch openings into your tanks, and the truck is parked in a non secure area all of the time, it is way to easy for someone to drop a portable fuel pump into the tank and get a quick 150 gallons or more of fuel. I figure if I make it more trouble for them, they will go to the neighbors house and get the fuel from his dozer and tractor instead.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Archived