Tow Vehicle Spare Tire

Bulgmaf

We are new to RVing and just bought a New Horizons Summit as well as a Dodge Ram 5500 with a hauler bed.  The truck with hauler bed does not have a spare tire, and I'm wondering how important it is to purchase one?  We would either have to store it in the basement of the 5th wheel, and space in there will be at a premium.  Another option would be to lay it down in the back of the hauler bed of the truck, behind the hitch, but this makes hitching up much more difficult.  There is not really an option to retrofit the truck for a spare tire underneath.  So, I'm considering not carrying a spare for the truck and just relying on roadside assistance.

Is just relying on roadside assistance in the event of a truck tire malfunction even feasible?  I don't want to be on the side of the road for 2 days somewhere.  Not sure how responsive they would be, especially on weekends or holidays.

Thanks,

Mark

If you get Coachnet you will probably be OK. Can you put a tire holder on the back bumper of the 5th and put the tire there?

I assume you have a TPMS system in your future, that should give you some peace of mind.

FYI: We drove a 5th wheel for 25+ years and never had a blow out on the truck or trailer. We were very careful with our tire pressures, made sure we had a 4 corner weigh every 5 years or so. Replaced the tires every 6 years.  We now drive  MH and don't have a spare. We do have a toad so we can always get help. Our experience with Coachnet has been fine, sometimes a 2-4 hour wait on a busy weekend.

40 minutes ago, SWharton said:

If you get Coachnet you will probably be OK. Can you put a tire holder on the back bumper of the 5th and put the tire there?

I assume you have a TPMS system in your future, that should give you some peace of mind.

Is Coachnet a Roadside assistance program?  I will check into them.  We are looking into TPMS systems right now.  As far as the back hitch of the 5th wheel, we were planning on bicycles back there.

Thanks for the info.

1 hour ago, Bulgmaf said:

We are new to RVing and just bought a New Horizons Summit as well as a Dodge Ram 5500 with a hauler bed.  The truck with hauler bed does not have a spare tire, and I'm wondering how important it is to purchase one?  We would either have to store it in the basement of the 5th wheel, and space in there will be at a premium.  Another option would be to lay it down in the back of the hauler bed of the truck, behind the hitch, but this makes hitching up much more difficult.  There is not really an option to retrofit the truck for a spare tire underneath.  So, I'm considering not carrying a spare for the truck and just relying on roadside assistance.

Is just relying on roadside assistance in the event of a truck tire malfunction even feasible?  I don't want to be on the side of the road for 2 days somewhere.  Not sure how responsive they would be, especially on weekends or holidays.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark,

The spare tire for my New Horizon Summit is in the storage compartment at the rear of the trailer. I believe there is enough room to have a total of two tires in that compartment. I could be wrong, but I think it is worth a look.

Good luck,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Archived