PA registration

bluflame11

1 hour ago, bluflame11 said:

Hi everyone!  Looking for some help... has anyone here registered the hdt as rv in PA.... I'm having some difficulty with the red tape and was looking for some advice....

Thanks in advance!

Hi bluflame,

Can you explain the red tape issue's that you are having. I am sorry that I can't help you but someone that might see your issue's will chime in.

Best of luck,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

I have fulfilled all the requirements posted on the PA website for rv....4 items (fridge,  microwave,  etc...), had the enhanced inspection,  passed that,  sent all the paperwork in,  came back twice for discrepancies on the gvwr, got that all sorted out,  now came back and they say that at least 50% of the trucks length has to be living quarters.... this is not on the website or anywhere I have ever seen....

Did the person who told you the 50% thing show you a regulation, or refer to a regulation?  Ask them to site it so you can double check, or go to another office.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

9 minutes ago, bluflame11 said:

I have fulfilled all the requirements posted on the PA website for rv....4 items (fridge,  microwave,  etc...), had the enhanced inspection,  passed that,  sent all the paperwork in,  came back twice for discrepancies on the gvwr, got that all sorted out,  now came back and they say that at least 50% of the trucks length has to be living quarters.... this is not on the website or anywhere I have ever seen....

I think I would ask to see that requirement in writing or have them point me to the correct area where this requirement is. It is tuff to remain cool when they keep throwing different curve balls at you. There must be a place where you can read the requirements. Is your local DMV any help ? I was very luck here in Ohio, but my local DMV was a big help. I live in a small city in Ohio.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

40 minutes ago, alan0043 said:

I think I would ask to see that requirement in writing or have them point me to the correct area where this requirement is. It is tuff to remain cool when they keep throwing different curve balls at you. There must be a place where you can read the requirements. Is your local DMV any help ? I was very luck here in Ohio, but my local DMV was a big help. I live in a small city in Ohio.

Al

Unfortunately my local dmv told me there was no such thing as a non- commercial class A license for PA.... which I now possess.... so I am less than confident in their knowledge....

Challenge (nicely) that 50% requirement. Tell them you've done a LOT of research (because you want a safe and legal RV) and, never saw said "requirement". Ask them where exactly that requirement is (DMV law, Commissioner's Rules & Regulations etc). It's NOT unusual for civil servant NOT to be FULLY trained and knowledgeable about ALL the intricacies of all they should know. One of our NY members did get his Class-D driver's license approved to drive his Class 8 tractor simply by adding "R" and "Air Brake" endorsements to said "D" license. The staff at the DMV were initially clueless and, because he knew more than the staff did, he "helped" bring them up to speed (I believe he "lubricated" their learning experience with some baked goods). If the folks at DMV are correct, at least you (and forum members) will have learned something. Good luck!

As I have said before, there are state codes which by federal law have to be published and easily accessible.  But virtually every state code for transportation starts out with a statement that the head of the department can create regulations as he/she sees fit.  There is little requirements for regulations to be posted or accessible.

With that said, it is possible that PA has such a regulation to allow conversions like Showhaulers.  But I would challenge the presence of the regulation.  It doesn't need to be easy to access but it does need to be in print.   

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Thanks for all the advice on this! 

After many phone discussions yesterday will several very nice folks at Penn DOT, it appears that titling as a private truck is the best option.... it can be titled as an RV once the rear frame is covered, even if it is just with a flat deck,  but there would still be a lot of gray areas with what I can and can't tow.  She said some people title as rv and then tow large 5ers and this is kinda like playing with fire.... if is a truck title,  much less restrictions unless it falls into the federal commercial category,  which 5ers do not.  So hopefully we can put this you rest now! 

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/11/2020 at 6:48 PM, PaHunter said:

I am also in PA, and will try to help if you still need it.

Thanks, yes any help I can get would be helpful. Did you convert yours to an RV title or just register it as a truck and pay the higher fees. I have heard of a few shops in my area, south eastern pa, that have had some customers go through the conversation and the state shuts them down. Seems like a lot of work and money if I'm going to end up just paying the truck Registration fee.

I would think about forming a LLC in Montana and register it there.

We lived in Pa until 2009.

We went through all that stuff and then would worry about returning to Pa without a legal inspection sticker. Then once they have you pulled over they may look for more stuff. High plate fees every year. And inspections.

And taxes on your purchase. No tax in Montana.

In 2007 our truck was totaled by a uninsured motorist. So we bought another truck. I had to pay taxes on the replacement truck as I could not trade in the old truck. Double taxation in Pa. my accountant said I had to pay the taxes

Also insurance may help on cost also.

Never ever register a vehicle again in Pa.   I had noticed a truck that was registered out of state in the mid 1990s. A local dump truck. Even met the guy once. I did know his brother. Policed could not bother him.

Experience speaking,    Vern 

13 hours ago, dscholl said:

Thanks, yes any help I can get would be helpful. Did you convert yours to an RV title or just register it as a truck and pay the higher fees. I have heard of a few shops in my area, south eastern pa, that have had some customers go through the conversation and the state shuts them down. Seems like a lot of work and money if I'm going to end up just paying the truck Registration fee.

Ours is registered as a private truck, it has to be done manually on a paper form and yes the fee is a pain in the backside. I have contacted the PA legislature, the Transportation Committee, but no one else wants to contact them to see if we can get this changed. I mean other states do the RV title.

Chris  :ph34r:.

Sandpiper 379 FLOK, Volvo 2012 730.

20180525_081811_resizednumber1.jpg

10 hours ago, PaHunter said:

Ours is registered as a private truck, it has to be done manually on a paper form and yes the fee is a pain in the backside. I have contacted the PA legislature, the Transportation Committee, but no one else wants to contact them to see if we can get this changed. I mean other states do the RV title.

Yea, just another way Pa gives it to us. I have reached out to Penndot as well and they gave me a list of items that it would require. But now they won't consider it an RV, but a modified TT is what the lady on the phone told me. But even then I have talked to an enhanced inspection station and they have not successfully had one pass. 

21 hours ago, Wrknrvr said:

I would think about forming a LLC in Montana and register it there.

We lived in Pa until 2009.

We went through all that stuff and then would worry about returning to Pa without a legal inspection sticker. Then once they have you pulled over they may look for more stuff. High plate fees every year. And inspections.

And taxes on your purchase. No tax in Montana.

In 2007 our truck was totaled by a uninsured motorist. So we bought another truck. I had to pay taxes on the replacement truck as I could not trade in the old truck. Double taxation in Pa. my accountant said I had to pay the taxes

Also insurance may help on cost also.

Never ever register a vehicle again in Pa.   I had noticed a truck that was registered out of state in the mid 1990s. A local dump truck. Even met the guy once. I did know his brother. Policed could not bother him.

Experience speaking,    Vern 

Thanks, is there a lot of hoops to jump through to form an LLC in Montana when you don't live there? The inspection doesn't matter to me as I have my inspection license and own licensed inspection station, but I was just trying to avoid paying the extra fees.

It was fairly simple to do. If I remember correctly she is in Helena Montana. But I cannot remember her name. I will ask my wife later today as it is still before 8 in Arizona. 

The resource guide that Mark assembled may have the office listed. If the lady is still doing the registration thing I do not know. We do our own now.

There is a lot of negative thoughts on this subject, but since we registered hear we have moved to Montana. I do mobile rv repair and I can tell you there are many, I mean many people that do it. 

Any trailer gets a one time payment for registration I think. If you vehicle you are driving is older than ten years you can get a one time permanent plate for it.

Yes we have not payed for a plate since 2000.

You need to do some searching on the subject to understand it. 

Safe Travels,    Vern

A possible downside to having the Montana LLC is if you don't claim residency there, you may be considered commercial if you ever get checked.  I know, lots of folks do it, and never have a problem.  But I know some states are looking for such things.  For instance, on Lake Cumberland in KY, there are lots of big boats registered in MT.  Now, we're not talking ski boats or fishing boats.  They're more like 20' wide and 80' long.  Big fines.

So, I, for one, don't want to be sitting on the side of the road, pulled over for 4 mph over in Valentine, TX (yes, it happened to me) trying to explain to the nice young Highway Patrol officer how a LLC (Limited Liability Company) is not commercial.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

5 hours ago, rickeieio said:

A possible downside to having the Montana LLC is if you don't claim residency there, you may be considered commercial if you ever get checked.  I know, lots of folks do it, and never have a problem.  But I know some states are looking for such things.  For instance, on Lake Cumberland in KY, there are lots of big boats registered in MT.  Now, we're not talking ski boats or fishing boats.  They're more like 20' wide and 80' long.  Big fines.

So, I, for one, don't want to be sitting on the side of the road, pulled over for 4 mph over in Valentine, TX (yes, it happened to me) trying to explain to the nice young Highway Patrol officer how a LLC (Limited Liability Company) is not commercial.

Karen and I got stopped a few years ago on the return trip from the ECR, the DOT officer asked why I had my truck and trailer registered in Montana, and as God as my witness I told him, see the woman sitting here, and he said yes with a puzzled look on this face, will officer the last wife took my 2 homes, boats, the diesel pusher motor home, and this one isn't getting anything!
He looked at Karen and asked her if that was correct and she stated it was. Then he said that the trailer looked like a new one being transported to a selling dealer, so I said please open the basement door and see if all that stuff comes in a new unit. He opened the door, looked around a minute, closed the door and said have a safe trip.

So that being said, I still have my LLC and the tax savings alone will pay for a lot of toys.

Roger (the tax evader.) 

GCTaaehl.jpg