On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 10:30 PM, Kirk Wood said:

I would assume that you will be towing with an equalizer hitch of some type and those do provide at least some antisway, but I would still recommend use of more. I use the Curt friction sway control on our trailer. 

Welcome to the forums!

These are a joke. There's no mechanical advantage the way they mount. Your trailer would have to go 45 degrees for them to work. Now if the front or back location was moved out then they would slid in and out more and the friction part could do its job.

6 hours ago, beemergary said:

These are a joke. There's no mechanical advantage the way they mount.

It depends on the size and weight of the trailer. I have experience towing both with and without and will respectfully disagree.  

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 1 month later...

I have used a E-qual-i-zer for around 20 + yrs and have recommended it to several other trailer owners.  I am totally satisfied with it.  I tow a very heavy trailer (11,000 lbs. with 1300 lb. tongue weight) and I have no sway when semi's pass and no problems with wind.  It is noisy at times but after you get use to it no worries.   

• 2 years later...
21 minutes ago, emma21 said:

Sway bars is really important for trailer. Is that right?

That just depends on the size and weight of the travel trailer and the size of the tow vehicle. Some small ultra lite trailers have an aluminum frame and forbid the use of the weight distributing type of bars. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

When we were towing a travel trailer, I went to a Reese Dual Cam which uses weight distributing bars, not sway control bars.  The Dual Cam is an older style hitch that incorporates sway control and it works very well when set up properly.  Many dealers do not like this style hitch as it is more time consuming to install and set up.

If I was going back to a TT, I would get a Dual Cam again.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

TXiceman, x-2 on the Reese Dual Cam. We towed two travel trailers from 1976-2003 using that setup. Worked very well and there was no need for attaching a secondary sway control. I bought the setup from a person that had an Airstream but sold the trailer. Pull a fiver now but still have the setup in the shed. 

I own both the Hensley arrow with which we tow our Aspire 2800  with a 06' F-350 SRW and the wife can drive as well as the Hensley 5th wheel TS 3 hitch for pulling our 44ft Cyclone 4400.  Because of the weight of the Cyclone and alot of times we carry our Smart car or motorcycle's we use our 97' Volvo WIA64 road tractor which the wife will not drive. 

Sure...yes they're a higher price point but we have been coast to coast several times on some really s*;?y roads and both hitches have saved our RV's.  Even when we were taking some hard knocks in either truck.

• 1 year later...

Before you do anything else, be sure your RV is ready to tow. To properly install your sway bar, make sure your automobile is parked on a level, even surface. Use the parking brake and vehicle immobilizers to keep your trailer from rolling away. This should be enough to secure your RV in its parking spot.
For a better and easier installation, you can also raise your towing vehicle to the RV's level.

9 hours ago, johnpeters said:

Before you do anything else, be sure your RV is ready to tow. To properly install your sway bar, make sure your automobile is parked on a level, even surface. Use the parking brake and vehicle immobilizers to keep your trailer from rolling away. This should be enough to secure your RV in its parking spot.
For a better and easier installation, you can also raise your towing vehicle to the RV's level.

This makes no sense to me.  What are you trying to say?

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

2 hours ago, TXiceman said:

This makes no sense to me.  What are you trying to say?

Ken

If you go back at look at johnpeters other posts, most have a similar oddness to them.  Often they name a specific product as being "outstanding, a favorite, great".  I kind of wonder if they are auto-generated.  

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels