Newbie and wanting to upgrade

V.V.

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and to RV world :).

We bought a Winnebago Trend (24) last year (first purchase) we thought it had enough space, but he corner bed is not working for us...among other things.  We don't have any slides so space is also limited.  We are two adults and two small dogs.  We want to upgrade, but we don't know enough about the brands to make an informed decision and we of course looking at not making the same mistake.  We are looking at a 31 Envoy but more for the floor plan than anything else.  We like the slides and the bunker option, my concern is I don't know enough about the brand.  I also read that many cab over options have a problem with leaks and I'm not sure if that is just a specific brand or not.  I'm also concerned about going from a V6 to a V10 and limiting our travels due to cost.  I think  we can probably get a 26-29 and get some of the same amenities/layout we are looking for.  I'm sorry, we are totally new at this so i'm not sure we make a lot of sense :).  We really have enjoyed our last 4-5 trips and hope to make more memories, but we need a lot of help!.  Stabilizers is also a concern as we are not good at using the blocks etc.

I think this is enough for now :) thank you, all help is appreciated.

May I suggest taking a look at this manufacturer of well constructed Class B+/Class C motorhomes?  http://www.phoenixusarv.com/index.html  Perhaps the Model 2551 or 2552 might work for you.  We have the 2400, but we have to turn the sofa into a bed every night. . .no biggie for us, but that is us.  We have some pics in the Class B section of this forum.

We have been RVing for about 20 years, both fulltime and some time, and we are spending our waning RV years in a Phoenix Cruiser (PC).  We toured their factory and saw the "not assembly line" approach to building their coaches. . .they are pretty much hand built and can be customized to many of your specifications and staying within the price range of other makes that aren't built in the same manner.  We bought pre-owned since we couldn't spring for a new one on our pension based budget; but we knew what went into the building of our 2012 PC.  They usually have trade ins in both Phoenix Cruisers as well as other makes; and knowing the staff as we do, we would not hesitate to purchase a pre-owned from them.

Jeff and Suzanne with Scout and Sydney, the Cocker Spaniel Sisters touring in Fawkes the 2012 Phoenix Cruiser 2400 Sprinter

"What happens in Vagueness, stays in Vagueness"

It would help us to advise you if we knew more about you and your plans. The necessary space for two people is a very subjective subject asr no two couples are exactly the same. The type of travel also plays a part in the choice of RV. You need more space & storage if you expect to spend months at a time in the RV.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

9 hours ago, Jeff & Suzanne said:

May I suggest taking a look at this manufacturer of well constructed Class B+/Class C motorhomes?  http://www.phoenixusarv.com/index.html  Perhaps the Model 2551 or 2552 might work for you.  We have the 2400, but we have to turn the sofa into a bed every night. . .no biggie for us, but that is us.  We have some pics in the Class B section of this forum.

We have been RVing for about 20 years, both fulltime and some time, and we are spending our waning RV years in a Phoenix Cruiser (PC).  We toured their factory and saw the "not assembly line" approach to building their coaches. . .they are pretty much hand built and can be customized to many of your specifications and staying within the price range of other makes that aren't built in the same manner.  We bought pre-owned since we couldn't spring for a new one on our pension based budget; but we knew what went into the building of our 2012 PC.  They usually have trade ins in both Phoenix Cruisers as well as other makes; and knowing the staff as we do, we would not hesitate to purchase a pre-owned from them.

Thank you Jeff & Suzanne for your suggestion and for the link.

Kirk, we want more storage outside,  inside storage is sufficient for the two of us, but we need more floor space. For now we only do weekend trips...I work and my husband is retired.

If you are happy with Winnebago products, I would suggest that you take a look as some of the smaller class A rigs now available, such as the Winnebago Vista , or perhaps one of the many other small class A rigs being offered today. I believe that you will find that the small class A has far more outside storage and the price range is not that different from the class C or class B offerings. 

Welcome, V.V. My suggestion is that you spend some time looking at every single RV you can, no matter the price or condition. You are looking for two things: acceptable quality and the floor plan. It won't take long for you to figure out what floor plans work for you and what brands have the quality you are looking for. Once you know those two things you can look for your preferred floor plans in the brands you want to consider.

For a quality check, look at how drawers and cabinet doors are constructed. Some coaches look nice on the surface, but are cheaply constructed. Look at 10-20 year-old examples of brands you are interested in to see how well they stand up. Yes, more than a few companies have started out as high quality brands and then cheapened the construction in an effort to increase profits.

Once you have a few brands to consider, join the owners' forums for those brands. The owners will generally give you a pretty good idea of the pros and cons of that brand for your intended use.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

My suggestion is to talk to RVers.  Find out what dealerships they trust.  We were able to get a very lightly used fifth wheel for not much money.  It was a couple of years old when we got it, and it looked new.  If you buy used, many of the bugs will have been worked out.  If you decided to buy new, stay fairly close to the dealer, so you can take it in for minor things that may be not quite right.

Also, make a list of your must haves.  Since we're sisters and haven't shared a bed since we were little kids, we needed either twin beds or two separate sleeping areas.  The fifth wheel we got has twin beds.  

Good luck,

TwoTiredTeachers

If you buy used, many of the bugs will have been worked out.  I

That is true unless you happen to buy one of the RVs that someone else gave up on after constant headaches. Remember that when you find an RV that is only a year or two old, someone else traded it away losing a great deal of money on it and there usually is some good reason for this. Unless you are more knowledgeable on RVs than most of us, you need to get a professional to inspect the RV and make sure that it is in good condition before you spend your money. New RVs come with a warranty, but used ones rarely ever do. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi e brought our first Tavel trailer 3 years ago n last year things changed n needed to get a bigger one so we did n now are the process of getting a fifth wheel it is a small one 4 feet bigger then our travel trailer but it has a walk around bed n two bunks for the grandkids n fu table n couch n I am so happy it will be more then enough room for years to come if you like you can hit me up later I must go to the trailer for awhile good luck n happy camping

4 hours ago, rm.w/aview said:

The shopping never really ends you know :) Good Luck & Have Fun

I highly recommend the shopping end when you buy a rig. Continuing to shop can bring discontent with what you bought. Better to just settle in and love your rig.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

My Class C has plenty of storage inside and out for me as a solo traveler, but I agree that a small A will have more underneath storage.  What do you want to take that you cannot take now?  It will also have more cargo carrying capacity (weight).  And buying a longer unit (A or C) will also give you more outside storage space.

Also, I would go with at least two big slides.  They really make a big difference in how much interior space you have.  And in five years of constant use, mine have caused no problems.  And finally, the leaks with the overhead bunks of Class Cs were mostly due to the front windows on older units, which have mostly been eliminated. 

I am a proponent of buying new, but that is because I have allergies to dogs and smoke.  I got a 25% discount on my floor model from the dealer and feel I would not have lost much had I sold it within a couple of years.

Archived