An ACA (Obamacare) Strategy: SEP

I thought about putting this in an existing thread, like Where Will Healthcare Go in the Future?, but decided to create a new thread specifically dedicated the those of you using the Affordable Care Act (ACA or Obamacare). 

First, the ACA's current condition: Aetna's CEO may be right about the ACA's 'death spiral' because

• Insurers are leaving the ACA -- both Humana and UHC plan to be out in 2018. Anthem (who backed Trumpcare) is unsure if it will participate in 2018. All of this means less plan choice.
  • Trump's inauguration day executive order -- the order states that federal agencies can grant waivers, exemptions and delays of “Obamacare” provisions that would impose costs on states or individuals. Currently, the main action stemming from that order is a move by the Internal Revenue Service to process Americans' tax refunds even if they fail to submit proof that they are insured, as the ACA requires. This could scare off insurers.
  • Death by Regulation -- while the ACA is still law, early indications are that the Department of Health and Human Services (H&HS) could hurt the ACA through regulation changes. For example, by tightening the ACA's Special Enrollment Periods (see below), adding extra verification requirements, and changing the plans' "actuarial value" in a way that makes it more costly for patients.
  • House of Representatives ACA Subsidy Lawsuit -- if the House were to win, ACA subsidies could disappear.

So if you're using or plan on using the ACA, what, if any, options do you have?

With increasing plan costs and decreasing plan choice, not many. However, at the moment RVers mobility provides an option by using the ACA's Special Enrollment Period (SEP).

What is SEP?

The ACA permits you to sign up or change your health plan if you've had certain life events, including losing health coverage, getting married, having a baby, adopting a child, or moving. In short, an ACA health plan is determined by where you reside, not where you domicile. You could drive to a better health plan. Here are the current H&HS ACA residency requirements.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

I plan to test that residency definition next month when I go to work camp in ND.  Last year I was told I could not sign up in ND without a drivers license in that state.

An update. This year  I had no problem getting ND insurance after submitting proof of my move using a general delivery address in the small town where I am workamping.  And  a bonus it is $300 a month cheaper for the same plan parameters in ND compared to WA and ND has a network hat would cover me out of state!

My domicle is still WA and my health insurance is ND.

Archived