Towing

Sondra

I have a 31 foot georgie boy with a v10 engine. I will be buying a jeep and have 2 jet skis that I would like to tow. is there anyway possible that I could tow the skis and the jeep behind the motorhome.Someone suggested an aluminum trailer, is that even possible? Seems like a trailer would have to be 28-30 feet. I didnt think in some states your entire lenght can be that much? Thanks in advance for any ideas.

The only way you would be able to take both would be to put them on a single trailer (although I have seen some interesting double towing setups in my travels). Length is not going to be your biggest issue however.  Your towing capacity is really going to limit you.  Your rig probably has a max tow rating of 5000 lbs (if that).  My Rubicon 2 door with some aftermarket add ons weighs about 4900 lbs by itself.  I don't know if you have a 2dr or 4dr Jeep, but obviously a 4dr will be heavier than a similarly equipped 2dr.

Realistically, the best solution is to have someone drive the Jeep towing the jet skis separately or just bring one or the other.  Sorry.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

First of all, since Georgie Boy was taken over by Coachman Ind. in the late 90's and ceased to exist as a seperate division in 2009, that tells me that your coach is not a new one. To know what you can safely tow we would need to know the GVWR and rear axle weight limits of the chassis, the actual weight on your rear axle when you are loaded to travel and the tongue weight of the trailer that you have all of that equipment on. Then we also need to know the CVWR of the chassis and the gross weight of the loaded trailer. Based upon my experience with the Ford, F-53 chassis I am quite sure that your chassis would be severly overloaded if you do this and that your rear axle weight would be exceeded as well. 

It may very well be possible to do what you want, but it clearly won't be safe in the event of an emergency stop and you are very likely to experience mechanical problems with the motorhome if you tow so much with your RV. It would help a great deal if we knew for sure what year model your chassis and motorhome are and also which wheelbase and GVWR chassis you have, but I'd be very surprised if yours has the capacity to do this safely. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived