My Solar Installs - Now with Solar Output Data

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Smitty77_7 said:

I looked to see if I could find it, but did not:)!

What is the Magnum Hybrid 3012 'at idle' draw? 

I had planned to add a dedicated fridge inverter during our install, but after checking the MS2812 vs the unit for the fridge, I was not really saving enough AH draw warrant doing so. (Plus, the DW has shows she records late at night and early in the AM, so I would have had to have another unit for at least the DirecTV Genie too.:)!)

Your battery bank is sized 20+% higher then ours - and we have plenty of capacity to cover the higher idle draw (not really idle, but using that term) for overnight times. (Day time, the majority of the time the Solar kicks out plenty to cover all coach power needs, except for AC.)

Or, did you and others that have the dedicated Fridge inverter, do so to cover contingency? The way you have your's set up, any source can feed the fridge. So if something did happen and knock out one of your inverters, at least you can keep the vital ice make functioning (We can be civilized as we travel!). Was if more for 'just in case' that you added the second inverter? 

The reason I ask, is as I mentioned when we do Phase II of our system, I've been kicking around adding a second unit. The Hybrid 3012 came out a few months after I went with the MS2812. I could see an option where I'd add the Hybrid 3012, and retain the MS2812 as a redundant unit. (The Hybrid can save you money when on a meter in a park.)

TIA,

Smitty

I didn't add the second inverter because I was worried about the "idle" draw of the 3012.  I did it for two reasons.  The primary reason was for use while on the road.  I do not want all my electronics (TV's, satellite boxes, stereos, dishwasher, clothes washer, microwave, etc.) powered while my rig is bouncing down the highway.  I see no reason to take the chance of creating an issue with sensitive items in a moving environment.  I am probably being overly cautious on this, but this is my primary reason.  My secondary reason was as a back up to keep the fridge running in boondocking situations where I was trying to conserve as much energy as possible.  For example, multiple days in a row of cloud covered, rainy days where the solar isn't going to be able to keep up with high electrical usage.  In these situations, if I am not using any other 120 volt appliances, why power them with the big inverter when all I really need to do is keep the refrigerator running.  I can turn the big inverter off and use the small inverter to help conserve energy and minimize generator run time.  I kind of look at like my last trailer with the RV type fridge that I would switch to propane and only turn the whole house inverter on when I actually needed it (not exactly the same circumstances, but similar).  Again, I am probably being overly conservative here, but I figured I was building a system from scratch so why not do it the way I wanted to do it.  It also didn't hurt that I was able to source the small inverter for about half price, so why not. ;)

Edited by Chad Heiser

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

21 minutes ago, lockmup68 said:

Do tell....

I found an open box deal on e-bay (actually two of them - one for me and one for a friend).  There are deals out there, you just have to be patient and willing to hunt for them.

2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)

event.png    

That's the one! I think Chad found them for about $15 less but either way it is way below discount retail. We added the transfer switch and the remote switch to finish the installation.

Tim & Cheryl
2015 Mobile Suites 39 TKSB3
2009 Volvo 670 D13 I-Shift  “Walter”

Happily Living Somewhere In Nevada

649EF470-4F2A-4D47-8AB9-AFD3462E24F4.jpeg

That's it as Tahoe Shark said.  They seem to be nice little inverters and are perfect for running the residential fridge (especially with the accompanying automatic transfer switch from Magnum and the remote on/off switch from Magnum).

event.png    

On 3/23/2017 at 10:23 PM, Chad Heiser said:

I didn't add the second inverter because I was worried about the "idle" draw of the 3012.  I did it for two reasons.  The primary reason was for use while on the road.  I do not want all my electronics (TV's, satellite boxes, stereos, dishwasher, clothes washer, microwave, etc.) powered while my rig is bouncing down the highway.  I see no reason to take the chance of creating an issue with sensitive items in a moving environment.  I am probably being overly cautious on this, but this is my primary reason.  My secondary reason was as a back up to keep the fridge running in boondocking situations where I was trying to conserve as much energy as possible.  For example, multiple days in a row of cloud covered, rainy days where the solar isn't going to be able to keep up with high electrical usage.  In these situations, if I am not using any other 120 volt appliances, why power them with the big inverter when all I really need to do is keep the refrigerator running.  I can turn the big inverter off and use the small inverter to help conserve energy and minimize generator run time.  I kind of look at like my last trailer with the RV type fridge that I would switch to propane and only turn the whole house inverter on when I actually needed it (not exactly the same circumstances, but similar).  Again, I am probably being overly conservative here, but I figured I was building a system from scratch so why not do it the way I wanted to do it.  It also didn't hurt that I was able to source the small inverter for about half price, so why not. ;)

Chad - I understand your thought process completely. And like the redundancy this provides... And at that price, as you said - Why Not?

Thanks for responding,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Chad thanks for the write up. We are in the process of ordering a 40kssb4 and have a few questions.  Did Drv Pre-wire for solar panels and what gauge was used? Did you provide the magnum 3012?  Who installed sub-panel?

Do want to hijack

Thanks Bob

Bob&Kay
2012 VNL730 I Shift D13 2.47 ratio
2018 Mobile Suites 40 kssb4

I ordered the DRV with the Magnum 3012, BMK, ARC and AGS installed by the factory.  The factory also installed the sub panel as part of the inverter install.  I also had them run 4 AWG solar wire from the roof to the battery compartment (it was the largest wire they would run). 

Knowing I was going to install my own batteries, I had DRV just put in one basic 12 volt battery for delivery.  I knew my batteries wouldn't fit in the factory battery compartments due to their size, so I planned to put them along the front wall of the basement compartment (as my pictures show).  For ease of my installation/modifications I also had DRV run all the trailer 12 volt connections to the door side battery compartment.  Their normal way of running the 12 volt wiring is to put the slide, jack and 12 volt panel connections in the off door side battery compartment and the inverter connections in the door side battery compartment.  This would have made what I wanted to do with my install much more difficult, so I had them change it.  My off door side battery compartment is now just a regular storage compartment and I use it to store my sewer hose currently (until waste master comes out with their new permanent mount hose carrier).  

Im happy to answer any questions you might have and share other modifications we made to our 40KSSB4 order if you like.  PM me and I'll give you my number if you like.

Edited by Chad Heiser

event.png    

I finally pulled the trailer out of the shop for the first time since I installed the solar.  I did an overnight at an RV park, but pretended I was boondocking.  I used no hookups at all.  I ran everything as if I had hookups, so I made no attempts at conservation.  I actually over used stuff in addition to my normal useage.  I did a pretty good job of running the battery bank down.  I had the array turned off because I wanted to get the battery bank drained a bit to get an idea of how fast I could recharge.

I turned the array on at about noon today.  My battery bank state of charge was right around 80% (I forgot to write this value down when I started so this is approximate from memory - it was somewhere between 80 - 83%).  My plan was to record my numbers every half hour until my battery bank was recharged.  The trailer was oriented facing west.  The ideal orientation for my trailer would be facing east, because this would put my satellite dish on the north side of the trailer.  For this experiment, I did not put the satellite dish up, so it did not have any shading affect on my panels.  All panels were exposed to the sun with no shading.  The only thing I had running in the trailer was the refrigerator and one overhead light so I could see what I was doing.  The refrigerator was being powered by my small inverter (Magnum 1012).  Again, my idea was to see how fast I could recharge my battery bank from the solar.  Here are the numbers from my PT-100 meters:

12:00 PM 

SOC (approximately) 80%, volts from array 54.7, watts from array 1057, amps to battery 75.6, volts to battery 13.9 in Bulk mode

12:30 PM

SOC 90%, volts from array 54, watts from array 1080.6, amps to battery 76.1, volts to battery 14.2 in Bulk mode

1:00 PM

SOC 93%, volts from array 58.6, watts from array 1105.5, amps to battery 74, volts to battery 15.0 in Bulk mode

1:30 PM

SOC 96%, volts from array 61.3, watts from array 742, amps to battery 51.5, volts to battery 14.9 in Absorb mode

2:00 PM

SOC 97%, volts from array 63.4, watts from array 630.4, amps to battery 42.7, volts to battery 14.8 in Absorb mode

2:30 PM

SOC 100%, volts from array 67.5, watts from array 140, amps to battery 10.4, volts to battery 13.6 in Float mode

From the time I turned the array on, it took approximately 2.5 hours to get from (approximately) 80% state of charge to 100% state of charge.  All of the meter readings fluctuated up and down slightly as I was recording them.  I recorded the highest number I saw within a 15 second window at the time of recording.  My Fullriver batteries have a custom charge profile based on the manufacturers recommendations.  Considering this is April 2 and I am in Northern California while taking these readings, I am very happy with the results.  Based on this sample (which I realize is small), when I have full sun in the summer months, I don't think I can use enough power each day to outpace what my solar system can replenish.  That was my goal when building the system, so far so good.

This weekend turned out not to be the best circumstances for me to do more in depth testing of the array due to several issues that popped up (not the least of which is that my DW contracted pink eye from our granddaughter).  We have another long weekend trip planned later in the month where I will get some more extensive data.  For now, it is back to the real world and work for a while.  (I'm really looking forward to retirement ;) .)

event.png    

I am hoping to get some feedback from some of you with solar set ups.  I'm curious if my assumption that my system can generate enough power to keep up with moderate to heavy power usage is correct.  I realize my current data sample is small, but I'm willing to take some educated guesses.  I think I am good and will get a much better idea from my multi-day trip in a couple of weeks, but let me know what you think.  Again, considering my panels are flat mounted and cannot be tilted, I think the power I am generating is pretty good for this time of year as far north as I am and should only increase as summer rolls around.  I'm still learning the intricacies of the Magnum PT-100 charge controller.  It is a relatively new charge controller and there is not much information on the web about it (especially in RV use) or how best to set it up to maximize its output.  It seams to be pretty straight forward so far, but there may be some tweaks I can make to improve performance.  We'll see as I get more experience with the system.

event.png    

8 minutes ago, RickS said:

Great write up! Just wondering if the fan was running when charging and was the sound of the fan noticeable? 

My trailer is fairly well insulated.  The PT-100 is in the basement, which is a large open space.  From inside the trailer, I could not hear anything.  Quite honestly, I'm not sure if the fans in the PT ever ran or not.  I initially had the basement compartment door open to confirm the remote readings were the same as being displayed on the PT.  After the first time when I confirmed the readings were the same, I closed the basement and didn't open it again.  I can say I never heard the fans, but I can't say whether it ever got hot enough in the basement or the PT itself got hot enough to actually require the fans to run.  I will add this to my list to check on the next test.

Edited by Chad Heiser

event.png    

Thanks Chad! Just wondering with such a new SC and having fans wondering if it was audible. Liked the comment about about you being so far north.....made me laugh!! You should be able to get solar energy from street lights a night.  :D

Edited by RickS

I guess north is a relative term, but I'm definitely not sitting in the AZ dessert where I could really make some power. ;)

At least I don't have to push snow off my panels like you do. :)

50 minutes ago, RickS said:

Thanks Chad! Just wondering with such a new SC and having fans wondering if it was audible. Liked the comment about about you being so far north.....made me laugh!! You should be able to get solar energy from street lights a night.  :D

event.png    

On 3/24/2017 at 0:17 PM, RickS said:

Just found this. :)

So I bought two of these. one of the "has something rattling around inside" and the other with the broken stud. They arrived today. The one with the rattle, I took the panels off and there was a flat washer floating inside. I could not see anyplace where a flat washer would be sued or where it could have come off from. So I took it out and put the panels back on. The other one simply has a twisted off positive stud. I will drill it out and replace with a new bolt. Should be good to go. I got both of these and two remote displays for less than the cost of a single inverter, so pretty happy about that. One for the refrigerator and one for the truck. 

IMG_2067_zpsojm1ijkb.jpg

IMG_2066_zpsukyrhbw1.jpg

IMG_2065_zpshlcxshng.jpg

Edited by lockmup68

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

Nice.  It's always nice to find a good deal on a product you want and/or need.  Mine ran my Whirlpool residential refrigerator on and off for two and a half days with no problems on my little test run over the weekend.

Edited by Chad Heiser

event.png    

11 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

I am hoping to get some feedback from some of you with solar set ups.  I'm curious if my assumption that my system can generate enough power to keep up with moderate to heavy power usage is correct.  I realize my current data sample is small, but I'm willing to take some educated guesses.  I think I am good and will get a much better idea from my multi-day trip in a couple of weeks, but let me know what you think.  Again, considering my panels are flat mounted and cannot be tilted, I think the power I am generating is pretty good for this time of year as far north as I am and should only increase as summer rolls around.  I'm still learning the intricacies of the Magnum PT-100 charge controller.  It is a relatively new charge controller and there is not much information on the web about it (especially in RV use) or how best to set it up to maximize its output.  It seams to be pretty straight forward so far, but there may be some tweaks I can make to improve performance.  We'll see as I get more experience with the system.

Chad nice setup and great write up, as to your assumption that you'll  keep up with power demand I don't believe you'll have a problem. I mostly read the forums and just wanted to post my experience for the past year of running solar. I'm no solar expert just a guy that had Starlight install it. My system 12v has 500AH GBS LFMP batteries, PT-100 controller, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, 8 panels, CTI 160 (1,280 watts) had it wired so 2 more panels can be added later if we want/ needed it. We boondocked last year for 200 days and are over 100 days now boondocking since the last time plugging into shore power. I don't have a residential fridge just a Norwood 821 everything in the rig is powered through the inverter except for the water heater which we run on propane. I'll use 150 - 200 ah a day unless it's totally overcast or raining. I'll recovery that with solar and that's not always positioning the 5th wheel for best sun (reason for a little extra solar panels plus not tilting them).

Now granted I'm in AZ  right now waiting for it to get a little warmer north but take yesterday, sunny with a few passing clouds through the day. Started charging about 0730 small amount 10 amps (display showing 70% or 150 ah  used from previous 14 hours) by 0830 I  switched the fridge over to electric (when running using about 28 ah), charge phones and computer's,  make a couple pots of coffee, use microwave, watch a little tv. By 1pm my batteries where at full charge. I was charging at a steady 55 - 70 ah from 9am - 2pm by 5pm the sun is low and the charging is done. As hard as I try there is no way to use all the power made during the day plus charge the batteries while the sun is out. 

Enjoy your solar.

2016 F350 DRW Supercab XLT 4x4 6.7 3:73LS 
2010 Carriage Cameo 34CK3   1,280 watt solar

Chad, our systems are "similar".  What you see in the charge profile/behavior is about what I'd expect to see. It is consistent with our system. As to keeping up with things....you should have no problem as long as you are not running air conditioners. You can do that - assuming they were wired in - but you will eventually run out of juice. Keeping up with house loads once you fill the bank is no issue.....you will have "free" power to use once you get full. I can run almost everything in the coach and not degrade the battery charge level, as long as the sun is out. It easily keeps up. I've even run the convection oven and baked in it. 

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Thanks for the feedback.  I figured I was in the ballpark with my assumptions, but I am working with limited actual data.  Everything up to this point had been based on calculations and printed data.  I am looking forward to getting out in the real world and getting a larger actual data set.

event.png    

On 4/4/2017 at 4:32 AM, Itinerant1 said:

My system 12v has 500AH GBS LFMP batteries, PT-100 controller, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, 8 panels, CTI 160 (1,280 watts) had it wired so 2 more panels can be added later if we want/ needed it. 

With a years experience with the PT-100, what do you think of it.  I like mine so far, but I really haven't put it through its paces yet.  I have my charge profile linked to the 3012, so I didn't tweak anything there.  (This charge profile is a custom profile based on my battery manufacturer's recommendations.)  I also have the everything linked to SOC readings from the BMK where I could.  Most of the other settings, I left to the defaults.  Have you done anything differently with your settings.

Edited by Chad Heiser

event.png    

Be honest with you it was programmed at Starlight other than looking at the ME-ARC 50 at various settings I haven't  altered a single thing other than if I need to change the amps if running my EU2000 generator. I'm afraid I might screw something up.I have looked at the PT-100 while charging and it will be bulk till just about done then drop to float but adjustments are through the ME-ARC. The system has not been turned off since installing it a year ago and haven't experienced a hick up yet.

Here a shot from yesterday midmorning of the display.

20170405_171437_1491441014654_1.JPG

Ok, I have to ask.  How are you pulling the data for the second screen.  Do you have the Mag Web monitoring kit?  

event.png    

Keeping in mind that my set up is with lithium batteries. That screen is connected to the CPU which connects to all the batteries. Also with that monitor it will show individual cell temps and voltage per cell.

RV Misc 015_1491447261258_1.JPG

Edited by Itinerant1