Volvo newer front fender mirrors

MsChrissi

Sometimes I just THINK I might be a moron, and other times I'm SURE.  I couldn't get comfortable with the measurements while installing these mirrors.  Then I decided to make a paper square, so I got a piece of heavy photo paper  and was going to trace a square on it and cut it out.  While walking to the barn, the light bulb came on.  What an idiot I must be, I was holding a paper square in my hand, WOW!!  I marked the measurements on the "square" paper, marked the holes, and made the installation.  The first mirror took about 3 days of pondering, the second one took about 20 minutes.  We do have many, many summer projects on the farm, and this year has been one of the busiest, so my mind has been in shambles, but gee wiz.  Slow down and think!!      

2006 Volvo VNL 630(VED12 400HP)
10 speed autoshift,3.58 gear 236" twin screw, w/ET, Jackalopee, Blue Dot
2016 Space Craft 37'

Blu/Dot, Dexter 8K triple axel, HD Drum hydraulic brakes

Feather lite air ride
2005 Jeep Rubicon
2007 Suzuki DR 650

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dick,

One of Dad's favorite sayings was, "Slow down, and let your brain catch up with your a$$."

It seems to get worse as the years tick bye........

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

• 3 months later...
On 3/19/2017 at 11:34 AM, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Haven't done it,     YET!

But since y'all know a little about composites, the new style mirrors should fit, but you may need to make a "Bed" for them to mate to so they have the right tilt to them.  I haven't ordered any yet but I want to do the same.

Have't done it yet either but plan to whever one is cheaper but its the drilling of the holes I dread and the alignment the new mirrors look nice with a nice price tag. but its the safety issue I want.

Grayling & Shirley

2000 Volvo 420, single Axle, 370 ISM, 10 speed

2001 Holiday Rambler Presidential 37' SKT

US Army MSG (Ret) Transportation Corps

(see You Tube Channel Max1Chase1)

• 2 months later...
  On 3/19/2017 at 6:43 PM, bluflame11 said:

Not trying to hijack the thread bit just had a question...

Are the aftermarket mirrors as good of quality as the real volvo ones, or is it better to just to bite the bullet and get them from the volvo dealer? 

Will let you know, ordered a set of the $150 ones .

Hi MsChrissi,

Can you please give us a update on your mirrors ? I want to replace the old style mirrors with the style and manufacture that you used. Any input would be great.

Right now I can not find the $150 mirrors. They might be sold out. Anyone have a link ?

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

On 12/29/2017 at 10:57 AM, Mntom said:

Hi Tom,

Thank you for the help. I was hoping MsChrissi would have seen the questions. It would be nice to know how his mirrors are holding up. Right now there doesn't seem to be any $150 sets out there.

Stay warm,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

29 minutes ago, alan0043 said:

Hi Tom,

Thank you for the help. I was hoping MsChrissi would have seen the questions. It would be nice to know how his mirrors are holding up. Right now there doesn't seem to be any $150 sets out there.

Stay warm,
Al

I didn't realize you meant $150 for the set! That's pretty cheap......... Far as staying warm, it was 51 degrees this morning when I got out of bed!

VisitedStatesMap.gif

37 minutes ago, alan0043 said:

Hi Tom,

Stay warm,
Al

Sure glad I am not the only one, a day late and a dollar short, finding deals like this at 150.00 a set. I will have this even at 249.00 a set on my list of wants and needs for sure.  10 days to becoming an HDT owner and then the fun begins with tricking it out. After my last trip driving our old 1 Ton Dually all I could think about is what it would have been like in our new to us HDT.  Thanks to all here and Happy New Year.

Life is great when you can scratch that hitch itch.........

1999, Volvo VNL 610, D12/10 spd Eaton, Manual, 370 gears   Aka  The Beast

2014 Crossroads Redwood 38GK     Used to be called the Beast Tamer when I had to tow with my old 1 ton Dodge but not anymore!!

7 minutes ago, JPL said:

Tom      You will enjoy the HDT!   They are a pleasure to drive. Just take it easy and welcome to the dark side. Pat

The Old Sailor

Thanks Sailor, Drove over the road back in the 80's when I was laid off at the RR. As far as the dark side I do believe that it is coming into the light as we continue posting.......  And thank you "MsChrissi" for such an informative post on this subject.

Life is great when you can scratch that hitch itch.........

1999, Volvo VNL 610, D12/10 spd Eaton, Manual, 370 gears   Aka  The Beast

2014 Crossroads Redwood 38GK     Used to be called the Beast Tamer when I had to tow with my old 1 ton Dodge but not anymore!!

Tom     Where is home? I'm in Chesapeake Va. We got back the 12th of Nov after 7 1/2 wks on the road west to Vegas towing our 43' Mesa Ridge. Had a great time and saw some beautiful county. On the way out we did the hot air balloon fest in Abq. Out longest trip yet. Hope to do more now that we are fully retired,,   Pat

The Old Sailor 

Archived