My Life is Happy Chaos - Advice Please :D

AmyB

Chevy Suburbans and cargo vans come in 1 ton capacities as well. They would give you lots of inside room and either 1 would easily pull your trailer.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/8/2017 at 7:32 AM, SecondWind said:

Realtors are, bottom-line, sales people.  They are trained to phrase things in a way that it's what you want to hear, just so you'll hire them, and unfortunately some of them are actually outright bald-faced liars.  In late 2013 a survey by a home warranty company ranked the trustworthiness of several professions.  Overall, 67.5% of respondents found Realtors untrustworthy, putting them on par with bankers and attorneys.

Thanks for this advice too. I know my realtor has a vested interest in selling my home, so I'm taking it with a grain of salt, but I am lucky to live in a town that seems to have hit a bit of a boom. It's conveniently located between two larger cities, so people have started to use it as a bedroom community, and there really just isn't enough single-family home inventory. I've looked at the comps myself, taken into account that people are not likely to be getting list price. I still think I could pretty much break even on it, after commissions, but at least for the first year I'm thinking I will probably end up renting it so we have a place to fall back on after a year. I found a really good leasing agency, and I could make enough to pay the mortgage payment every month plus a couple hundred bucks after the leasing agent fee.

Amy, 

Looks like you got a lot of good responses. Only you can decide. However I would like to share with you how my wife and I went about deciding to full time.

First we started with a pop-up. We had two small dogs which added together might equal half of what you have, minus the farting. In a pop-up you have two large beds so if you don't mind sleeping with your dog it probably will work. Storage is extremely limited but you might get away with using your car for that. As far as weather, we spent three days in an all out thunderstorm without much of a problem. But wasn't exactly fun. The longest we stayed in it at one time was two weeks. The ability to live most of the time outdoors works the best.

After two years with the pop-up we decided it was time to go to a travel trailer. Pop-up generally have a great resale value. We sold ours for what we paid for it two years later. We found a great deal on a 2006 19 ft trailer for about $8900. Your problem though is the tow vehicle. We towed with a 2001 Chevy Tahoe. It was at its max in tow weight but it worked. I would suggest you look into selling your Subaru for something that will tow 6000 plus and look for a used travel trailer in the 16 to 20 ft. length. Then you and your friend take a road trip for at least three weeks. That should help you decide if it will work for a year.

If it doesn't work out you can sell the trailer for perhaps two thirds of what you paid for it. The SUV will still be yours for regular transportation.

Good luck.

12 hours ago, Kathy & Rick said:

Looks like you got a lot of good responses. Only you can decide. However I would like to share with you how my wife and I went about deciding to full time.

Welcome to the Escapee forums!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived