Update of Bed Build

VegasFlyer

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John   Great looking deck! You and your crew are doing a great job. Tons of work but the end product will and does show what time, effort, planning, and most of all, money (and a understanding wife?) can accomplish. So again Great job!    Pat

The Old Sailor

5 hours ago, HERO Maker said:

Nice job John!  Hopefully we can see it someday.

Thanks Rocky!!

Any chance of you guys making the West Coast Rally?

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

3 hours ago, JPL said:

John   Great looking deck! You and your crew are doing a great job. Tons of work but the end product will and does show what time, effort, planning, and most of all, money (and a understanding wife?) can accomplish. So again Great job!    Pat

The Old Sailor

Thanks Pat!!

Obviously words from a wise man....lol

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

John, each year so far I've had a conflict of time with the Summer Family Missions trip we do.  We will be back here (I haven't left Mission TX yet) during June.  So it can't happen again this year.  Some day.

Of course, there's always the National Rally!?

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Really nice work John. I know how much effort goes into that. Your framing looks really good. 

A comment on the repair work. We OFTEN get asked when someone brings us their "new to them" truck, why is "singling" so expensive? Well, "singling" is not, it is all the stuff you find, replace and repair when you do the singling that adds up. And if you don't have "free" labor it can add up fast. You have documented part of that very well .... 

It looks like you guys have been doing a quality job. You won't regret it. Nice work.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

5 hours ago, Sculptor said:

I say, glue some rivets on it and clear coat that finish!  It's pretty cool just like that!   👍🏻👍🏻

It’s funny that you mention that.  We were talking about that very thing, though the DW was quoted as saying...........well let’s just say that what she said had to do with mental health and something that I am certain is not physically possible.....

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

13 hours ago, Jack Mayer said:

Really nice work John. I know how much effort goes into that. Your framing looks really good. 

A comment on the repair work. We OFTEN get asked when someone brings us their "new to them" truck, why is "singling" so expensive? Well, "singling" is not, it is all the stuff you find, replace and repair when you do the singling that adds up. And if you don't have "free" labor it can add up fast. You have documented part of that very well .... 

It looks like you guys have been doing a quality job. You won't regret it. Nice work.

Thanks Jack!!

You are absolutely correct, it is sort of like being the little Dutch boy and the dike.  As you find one item, two more pop up.....lol

As financially painful as that can be, those of us who have had to crawl under a truck that is broke down in a really bad and usually miserable place can take solace in fixing the stuff now.

The HUGE advantage that most RV HDT owners have over a commercial truck owner, if you replace a general non consumable component, like a cab leveling valve, on a used truck, the odds are quite good that you will never have to replace it again.  

Even for someone who pays for the labor, it is FAR MORE CHEAPER to pay someone to crawl over every inch of that truck and repair or replace any questionable components now, before the bed goes on.

The bad part of the equation is that there are some shops out there, especially those that are more of a general fabricator that might not have any knowledge of HDT’s, that will simply cut, weld, grind, bolt and paint, exactly as you requested.  The bad part is that there may be problems with the truck that could be a ten minute fix that go undetected and now become a five hour job, due to lack of access or requiring special equipment, cutting access panels or removing the bed.

Having those thoughts in mind made it easy to cut all the 10 year old wire ties and go over every inch of wires and hoses before double wire tieing them back on.....

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

• 3 months later...

Well we finally get to post some AFTER pictures on this project!!!

We are heading out of Parowan, Utah, heading for Missoula, Montana.  We are going to pick up a new Toyhauler with the maiden voyage of the new bed.

As you will see in the pictures posted below, it was a mad rush to put it all together and hit the road.  We ran into problems with final fit on two of the bed box doors, so they are just hauling air on this trip.

standby for photos...

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

Howdy John,

I like it, but I think you need to add more lights to the side of the bed to better match the side of the truck.  You know, chicken lights and chrome. ;)

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

20 hours ago, rpsinc said:

A question.  What did that length of cantilever of the bed do to the carrying capacity of the truck?

The area extended beyond the frame is six feet.

For typical RV loads, it does not change potential pin capacity by any appreciable amount.

As equipped in the picture, the axle weights are 10,300 for the front and 14,180 for the rear.  We will post the loaded weight after picking up the Toyhauler.

When discussing an extended bed, people often are concerned about what effect a heavy RV will have on the truck, as far as lateral and vertical forces are concerned.  In that area, it is important to keep in mind that a heavy RV will be 15 to 20,000 pounds.  A typical loaded semi trailer, for which the truck was originally designed, with the king pin weight being about eight feet further forward, will weigh 50 to 60,000 pounds.

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

Just curious if I am going to see this really nice bed in person this week.

Will be working this week but will make some time to see it if at all posible. Glad things are going good for you.

Safe Trvels,.  Vern

18 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy John,

I like it, but I think you need to add more lights to the side of the bed to better match the side of the truck.  You know, chicken lights and chrome. ;)

Dave

18 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

Yup , that's a good lookin' rig , but , I think more lights for that 'Christmas on the road' effect would be a decent addition . ;)

Thanks guys!

it is funny, when we first designed the bed, the light placement was just the basic DOT layout.  Then we added a fourth middle ICC light on the back (Not yet hooked up).  Then we added lights to the front of each corner, so that you could clearly see them in the mirrors.  Then we added a new feature where all of the lights on each side,   go to bright when the turn signal and brakes are applied.

All that was done while looking at the design on a CAD program.  As soon as we walked across the parking lot to take the pictures, we though the very same thing, “More Cow Bell”. Lol

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

Archived