Update of Bed Build

VegasFlyer

8 hours ago, Moresmoke said:

If you get a pressure pot for your air gun, you can paint any direction you want.  It replaces the spray gun paint reservoir with a separate one, connected with a hose.  A small amount of air pressure pushes the paint to the gun.  Harbor Freight has a couple of inexpensive options.

Great suggestion, we forgot about HF!  Thanks!

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John,

If you have something that lifted that bed on the truck, you should be able to roll it over.    It looks a bit flimsy but, tip it on its side and, pull it over with forks under it or sling from above.    Is that 3x3 structural?    What does it weigh?    You could even roll it like a wrecker righting a trailer, one pulling, one belaying.  

Steve  

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Pick it off the truck.  Pick up one end until its upright, standing up.  Hang it in the air about 4-6 inches. Pull the bottom out from the verticle hang a few feet and start lowering the deck.  If you pull the bottom out far enough it should lay down upside down.  Lower it to the ground laying it deck side down.  Rerig to lift it flat to move and place on benches etc for painting.  My deck has a lifting ring at the front and 2 bolt holes near the back that they used just for this.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

After lifting mine I put it on wheel roller plates, then rolled it to the 2 post lift, raised it in the air and did the painting.
It was in the shop and did not want overspray on all the equipment or RV's in the shop for repairs. It did work out great and I let it dry for several days before installing it back on the truck, I will try to add a picture of the small fork lift I used.n3eCgAq.jpgpMN3oq8.jpgb5no1po.jpg

GCTaaehl.jpg

7 hours ago, Steve from SoCal said:

John,

If you have something that lifted that bed on the truck, you should be able to roll it over.    It looks a bit flimsy but, tip it on its side and, pull it over with forks under it or sling from above.    Is that 3x3 structural?    What does it weigh?    You could even roll it like a wrecker righting a trailer, one pulling, one belaying.  

Steve  

That’s just it, we don’t have anything that lifted it.  If you look at the pictures, the bed was built on the truck and then a few jack stands and a push of the dump valve and viola!  

We have thought about hiring a crane truck, but they are not very cheap where the bed is located.

We realize the physics involved here and on a grand scale it would be pretty minor compared to erecting the Space Shuttle.....but.....not sure if we want to go there.

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

22 minutes ago, Hewhoknowslittle said:

After lifting mine I put it on wheel roller plates, then rolled it to the 2 post lift, raised it in the air and did the painting.
It was in the shop and did not want overspray on all the equipment or RV's in the shop for repairs. It did work out great and I let it dry for several days before installing it back on the truck, I will try to add a picture of the small fork lift I used.n3eCgAq.jpgpMN3oq8.jpgb5no1po.jpg

Great photos, thanks for sharing.

Do you want to come to Hesperia, CA and lift ours???  Lol

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

How much does it weigh?     Out in Hesperia about every other place has a loader or skid steer.      I wouldn't be surprised if someone near by didn't have a forklift.     Are the struts between the wheels outside the tire track?       Do the Egyptian thing with blocks and jacks, once on the ground, roll it over with a couple trucks.     

I can tell you from painting airplanes, being on your back under the object to paint is just miserable.   

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Isocyanates go through carbon filters. Supplied air mask is best

I've used a 2 part zinc rich (1 gal is around 30lbs) primer with urethane top coat with success but it is made by a local company and not widely distributed.

The process I use:

Remove as much splatter and cold lap (more important on the outside than the inside) from the welds as possible with a sander/grinder /chisel.

All the holes are drilled for lights, hinges, wiring, air lines and anything else. Everything is test mounted. Three 3 layer of masking tape is use under the hinges, latches  and both sides of the doors to simulate the thickness of the paint.

Steel is prepared to paint mfg specs.

Primer is applied within 6 hours 

Once the primer is touch dry the seams/corners/laps are caulked with a urethane caulking. This prevents water from entering a rust from exiting.

Top coat is (doesn't matter if caulking is dry) applied

18-8 Stainless steel bolt are used for hinges and lights

Every bolt and screw gets a touch of Tef-Gel

Edit: It may take longer to try and figure out how to flip it that it will to paint it

2011 Cameo 34SB3

12 hours ago, J-T said:

Isocyanates go through carbon filters. Supplied air mask is best

I've used a 2 part zinc rich (1 gal is around 30lbs) primer with urethane top coat with success but it is made by a local company and not widely distributed.

The process I use:

Remove as much splatter and cold lap (more important on the outside than the inside) from the welds as possible with a sander/grinder /chisel.

All the holes are drilled for lights, hinges, wiring, air lines and anything else. Everything is test mounted. Three 3 layer of masking tape is use under the hinges, latches  and both sides of the doors to simulate the thickness of the paint.

Steel is prepared to paint mfg specs.

Primer is applied within 6 hours 

Once the primer is touch dry the seams/corners/laps are caulked with a urethane caulking. This prevents water from entering a rust from exiting.

Top coat is (doesn't matter if caulking is dry) applied

18-8 Stainless steel bolt are used for hinges and lights

Every bolt and screw gets a touch of Tef-Gel

Edit: It may take longer to try and figure out how to flip it that it will to paint it

Thanks for the info.

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

• 2 weeks later...

This last weekend we accomplished a little bit on the bed, mainly fabricated the latches for the doors for the front tool box that spans the whole width of the bed.  We also finished up the bulk of the preemptive maintenance on the truck out of the way.

The pictures of the doors show a before and after, though there is still more to fabricate for the doors.  The doors will have pneumatic cylinders which will hold them open.  The rear or right door that is shown, has a small elbow latch that will hold that door closed when you initially open the left door.  We fabricated a frame around the front side of the doors to stiffen them and to facilitate mounting the latches.

The Latches for the doors are also a three point latch that has small rods that run vertically on the double doors and horizontal on the single doors on the back tool boxes.

On the truck, we decided to replace the cab shocks, air springs and leveling valve while we had easy access.

We also decided to change out all the brakes on the rear axles, since we had tires removed and the easy access.  The pads were way above the minimum thickness, though we had one pad that was cracked and got a GREAT deal on new pads from the Volvo dealer.

One other item that falls under proactive maintenance was resealing the rear differential that a had a minor leak.

We also closely inspected all of the universal joints and suspension bushings and components, while we had easy access to everything.

It is getting so much closer, though as a lot of folks can relate to, the closer you get, the more small things pop up to slow you down.

Pictures

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

On 1/8/2018 at 9:50 PM, VegasFlyer said:

Great suggestion, we forgot about HF!  Thanks!

John,

I have a DeVilbis Pro Pressure Pot Gun (2 Qt) here in Pahrump, if you want to use it just give me a call (520) 891-3695.

Has new hoses and fresh gun kit installed so it is like new.

Cheers,

Mike

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

7 hours ago, Dollytrolley said:

John,

I have a DeVilbis Pro Pressure Pot Gun (2 Qt) here in Pahrump, if you want to use it just give me a call (520) 891-3695.

Has new hoses and fresh gun kit installed so it is like new.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks Mike!

We will keep that in mind as we get ready for paint.

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

• 2 weeks later...

This weekend we got about half of the welding of underneath the bed, completed.

We did look at having a boom truck come in to set the bed on it’s side and then opted to just keep it elevated and work underneath the bed, with a lot of safety shoring. 

By working “underneath”, that is limited to just the area that is over the truck frame.  If the bed did fall, the bed would still be 24” off of the ground.

We also finished up the tool box doors, mounting the cylinders and latches.

Here are some photos from this weekend:

52J1W2r.jpg

geIVWIU.jpgIWBkLVc.jpgL5bbOt8.jpgETa6Fyu.jpgLmGTwcm.jpgAUE4wDs.jpg

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

Dang, those doors would work on a bank vault !!  The workmanship on your bed is REALLY impressive. I would not be able to afford that bed but I am happy for you to have such a work of steel art.....it is BEAUTIFUL.        Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

3 hours ago, sclord2002 said:

Dang, those doors would work on a bank vault !!  The workmanship on your bed is REALLY impressive. I would not be able to afford that bed but I am happy for you to have such a work of steel art.....it is BEAUTIFUL.        Charlie

Thanks Charlie!

I am not sure I can afford that bed either!   Lol

We are very glad to see that it is in the homestretch and close to the finish line...

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

3 hours ago, sclord2002 said:

X2. 

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

• 1 month later...

Well, after what seems like an eternity, we finally reached a major milestone on this project.

Over the past several weekends we finished up all the fabrication of the doors bed mounting system, ramps and finishing up all the welding of the bottom parts of the bed framework and decking.

During this process, we also completed a LOT of preventative maintenance, as well as swapping out a lot of components that would be extremely hard to access once the bed is mounted.  This work included:

New rear brakes

Replaced front and rear shocks

Replaced cab leveling bags, shocks, control valve and linkage

Replaced rear air springs

Replaced hood latches

Replaced side fairing mounting hardware

Inspection  all u- joints and rear suspension components

Resealing rear differential due to a minor leak

Repaired several air leaks

Replaced fuel tank mounting strap

Repaired muffler shroud mounting bracket

Changed front and rear differential fluid

Rust treatment and painting of truck frame

Replaced all zip ties along rear frame area.

Over the past two days, we managed to:

Prep and paint the underside of the front portion of the bed with POR-15

Remove all the doors and finish the corners of the doors and prep the doors for paint

Fabricate ramp mounts

Drill, countersink and tap all holes for access plates

Drill all holes for bed lights

Fabricate a brace for the exhaust system

MOUNT THE BED and finally

DRIVE THE FRIGGENTRUCK HOME!!!

The next post will show some photos of the bed after the underside was painted and the on the trip home.

NOTE:  There are a couple photos that were taken before painting was completed.

Next comes:

Sandblasting of the exterior of the bed

Paint the rear portion of the underside of the bed with POR-15

Paint the sides and toolbox interiors

Bed line the deck

Paint the ramps

Mount tiedown rails on deck

mounting the doors

Install brake controller

install jackalopee

wiring the lights

The last item will be assisted by virtue of a premade plug and play wiring harness which is being constructed by Nuke-E, that will save a lot of work and frustration....lol

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

Over the course of this project, we have gotten several posts on this thread, along with a lot of private messages, regarding the mounting system that we employed.  Hopefully these last photos will provide enough information for those interested.  We essentially replaced the mounts for the aluminum cat-walk, with .025 angle and then attached  .025 and .050 brackets to the bed that marry up to the above mentioned truck brackets, as well as to the angle brackets which the commercial fifth wheel was attached to.

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

1 hour ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Can't wait to see it at the WCR!

Thanks Jim!!

We are hoping to be able to make it to the rally this year.  We are somewhat afraid to say that we will be there for sure, due to having other things come up like the past few years.

It would be great to get a chance to meet so many of the folks on the forum.

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

2 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Can't wait to see it at the WCR!

Ditto.  I hope you guys can make it.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Archived