Update of Bed Build

VegasFlyer

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, VegasFlyer said:

Sorry for the delay in responding, we did not see your question until tonight.

Unfortunately, we do not have any good photos of the main mounting brackets, though they are actually quite simply 90 degree broke .250 steel brackets that weld on to the main bed rails and then bolt to the brackets that the commercial hitch was hack bolted to.

That's just fine, John.  I think 99 photos of everything else would be acceptable instead.  ;)

I haven't seen step details like that before.  Agree with BillR, pretty cool.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

VT   The bed looks great! Wait till you can hookup and go then you'll know it was worth it. We really enjoyed the visit in Vegas. Just remember if you get on this side of the world to let me know! We got back the 12th of Nov. Had a great trip. We just ran out of time. Could have stayed on the road for a year but the billfold wouldn't handle it. So we are back home thinking about the next big trip.    Pat

The Old Sailor

1 hour ago, JPL said:

VT   The bed looks great! Wait till you can hookup and go then you'll know it was worth it. We really enjoyed the visit in Vegas. Just remember if you get on this side of the world to let me know! We got back the 12th of Nov. Had a great trip. We just ran out of time. Could have stayed on the road for a year but the billfold wouldn't handle it. So we are back home thinking about the next big trip.    Pat

The Old Sailor

Pat,

You got the wrong "Vegas", I think you were referring to the goofy one..... lol

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

• 1 month later...

Here is another update with pictures of some of the mounts.

we are in the homestretch and took the bed off to complete all the final welding and painting of the underside of the bed.

XfbGePCl.jpg

t6AlOahl.jpg

CHoUKWBl.jpg

mOJ61y9l.jpg

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

On 12/31/2017 at 7:24 AM, JPL said:

VT   The bed is really looking good!  When do you plan on the last install? Paint color? Next week back to the salt mines? Take care and be safe.    Pat

The Old Sailor

Thanks Pat!

We are hoping to get it wrapped up in the next six weeks.  With weekends and life, it makes it hard to get all the little things done.

The exterior color will probably be something close to match the truck.  The underside will be equipment paint from Tractor Supply.  We have a couple good referals from farming friends who have used it a lot on various projects on commercial farms in Oregon, with great results.

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

On 12/31/2017 at 9:13 AM, rpsinc said:

What are you using to paint it, esp the underside?  I would think a perfect candidate for Por 15.  Or perhaps some red oxide primer and an industrial enamel top coat.

RPSINC,

Please see above response.  Por 15 would be a good choice as well.

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

On 12/31/2017 at 9:57 AM, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

I would like to pull my bed off, have it blasted- sand-pecan shell- etc, and then have it Rhino/LineX 'd .

We are going to try a roll on type of liner for the deck.  Have heard mixed reviews on underside applications.

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

The TSC paint is OK use hardener, I would suggest an etching primer.    That is a lot of steel.    Are the angles going to the outside of the rails, on second look outside of the angles on 5th plate?

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

8 hours ago, Steve from SoCal said:

The TSC paint is OK use hardener, I would suggest an etching primer.    That is a lot of steel.    Are the angles going to the outside of the rails, on second look outside of the angles on 5th plate?

Steve

Steve,

We will definitely use hardener with the TSC paint, as well as an etching primer.

The mount that looks like angle is actually two 1/2" plates and the two sets of brackets that you can see in the photos do marry up to the existing fifth wheel mount on the truck.  The vertical pieces go to just outside the fifth wheel bracket.

We are fabricating another set of brackets that will mount where the aluminum cat-walk went across the top of the frame, in front of the fifth wheel plate, utilizing those existing holes in the frame rails, to secure the front of the bed.

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

My first experience with TSC paint was this past summer.  I just brushed the paint on an equipment trailer and it looks great.  I don't know how long it will last but it covers really well and dried without brush marks. I used a rust primer first.  Certainly turned out better than I expected.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

31 minutes ago, noteven said:

The powder coating on my Tork lift parts on the won ton flutters off in pieces with nice rust patches underneath. 

Will be blasting and doing over with equipment paint.

I have used POR-15 on my bed, I did do an acid wash as in the instructions, and here is a picture of my wheel well, it's dirty from the snow I drove in yesterday, but after about 60,000 miles it still looks like new, no pits or rusting, it is a pain to put on, and don't spray it as the overspray will not come of of anything it lands on, but well worth the effort.

Roger

PY3TGVC.jpg

GCTaaehl.jpg

On 1/4/2018 at 10:40 AM, Hewhoknowslittle said:

I have used POR-15 on my bed, I did do an acid wash as in the instructions, and here is a picture of my wheel well, it's dirty from the snow I drove in yesterday, but after about 60,000 miles it still looks like new, no pits or rusting, it is a pain to put on, and don't spray it as the overspray will not come of of anything it lands on, but well worth the effort.

Roger

PY3TGVC.jpg

Roger,

That is great information, thanks for sharing.

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

You will want to be real careful of anything around the area where you are painting.  Only brush or roll it on.  And make sure you wear some old long sleeve shirts that you will certainly be throwing away.  Don't forget the gloves, and if you happen to get some on your skin, well, you'll just have to wait until it wears off!

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

15 hours ago, HERO Maker said:

You will want to be real careful of anything around the area where you are painting.  Only brush or roll it on.  And make sure you wear some old long sleeve shirts that you will certainly be throwing away.  Don't forget the gloves, and if you happen to get some on your skin, well, you'll just have to wait until it wears off!

Thanks for the advice Rocky.

Luckily we have a few pair of Tyvek hazmat coveralls that were thrown out at work, due to expiration dates.  They should still be good for the hazmat we will be applying...lol

Still bouncing around ideas for applying the paint to the underside area of the bed.  There are quite a few hard to reach areas and most paint guns don't like being aimed upwards.  Researching airless sprayers.

We will probably brush on the paint for the frame.

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

If you get a pressure pot for your air gun, you can paint any direction you want.  It replaces the spray gun paint reservoir with a separate one, connected with a hose.  A small amount of air pressure pushes the paint to the gun.  Harbor Freight has a couple of inexpensive options.

1 hour ago, Moresmoke said:

If you get a pressure pot for your air gun, you can paint any direction you want.  It replaces the spray gun paint reservoir with a separate one, connected with a hose.  A small amount of air pressure pushes the paint to the gun.  Harbor Freight has a couple of inexpensive options.

I have painted several airplanes and, I second the pressure pot.     If you do spray paint ANY thing with isocyanates "hardener" please wear a supplied air respirator or better yet full face mask.      

Silly question, why don't you flip the body over to paint the underside?

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

On 1/2/2018 at 11:53 PM, VegasFlyer said:

We are going to try a roll on type of liner for the deck.  Have heard mixed reviews on underside applications.

I used the roll on liner on my truck tool box many years ago. Still looks good. Did take a while putting on though. I did at least 3 coats I think. Used up two quart cans. It was from Tractor Supply too. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

7 hours ago, Steve from SoCal said:

I have painted several airplanes and, I second the pressure pot.     If you do spray paint ANY thing with isocyanates "hardener" please wear a supplied air respirator or better yet full face mask.      

Silly question, why don't you flip the body over to paint the underside?

Steve

Steve,

Not a silly question, but it would be like wrestling two fat ladies for the last piece of pizza!!!

The bed is built of 1/4” everything, with some 1/2” plate thrown in for good measure.

It would take a lot more lifting devices than we reasonably have access to.

We already planned on full safety gear Luke respirators, hoods, gloves, etc.

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

Archived