Update of Bed Build

VegasFlyer

While I was out teaching the Teach how to drive his truck across the country, the Keebler Elves were busy working on the bed.

Here are some update photos....

j81Tfg2l.jpg "border=0
[IMG

UpixAvBl.jpg "border=0
1jtQSidClick For Full-Size Image.

BVrb2Bhl.jpg "border=0

More to come in the next couple days.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, VegasFlyer said:

While I was out teaching the Teach how to drive his truck across the country, the Keebler Elves were busy working on the bed.

j81Tfg2l.jpg "border=0
[IMG

UpixAvBl.jpg "border=0

BVrb2Bhl.jpg "border=0

Vegas,

so you survived teaching the teach, so it was a long check ride.......

Too many moons ago I was due for a currency check ride in a Gvt P58 Barron and the check Capt. Needed to be dropped off in Helena Mt . Capt. was a old Air America geezer and pretty grumpy and the winter weather out of Boeing field was dismal as usual with turb and mod icing forecast......I was hoping to cancel but Capt. Wanted to go so......filed and kicked the tires and lit the fires and it was a miserable ride with too much ice and snow and way rough ride at any altitude......Capt. Just sat in the right seat and looked like deer in the headlights.......somehow we survived the approach to Helena and as I was shutting down Capt. Scribbled down a remark on the check ride form ....."pilot should always keep one wing in the sunshine while flying".....then checked the pass box........so much for my chances to be driver of Airforce One.......

So assuming teach passed his check ride did you scribble ......."driver must keep one tire on the pavement at all times"

Bed frame looks very stout and clean and your long tail swing will likely load your suspension nicely......with our 20 ft box we have a long tail swing and properly loaded it really helps load the suspension nicely and the ride is vastly improved. In RV service it is a chore to properly load the suspension on these class 8 trucks....... of course you gotta be careful pulling out of tight parking spaces because the tail does swing wide but just like a fat too big aircraft you get aware of your "swings" and then you steer accordingly.......especially on......check rides.....

Speaking of check rides.......maybe it might getting close to time to invite Ronbo back for a Mex-dinner and you could regale us with tales about teaching teach.......maybe teach might solo out of sin-city over the hill to P-town and chow at the Mex joint as well......we could all catch up on the latest lies......

Drive on........(keep one mirror in the.....sunshine)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

We were there for a few days in feb but we had to run to Vegas so didn't get to visit. I'll let you know when we are back in town. I plan on staying longer.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Thanks for the comments guys, we are looking forward to getting this finished and back on the road.

Dolly,

That sounds good on getting together, VT will be driving over to Pahrump for practice and for driving lessons for Mrs. VT.  We will let you know.

As to the overhang on the bed, we were very aware of the advantage that the overhang does for weight distribution and for maneuvering a trailer into tight places.  While a lot of folks might think it would make things harder, it is quite the opposite because with just a little side movement of the front of the truck, you can move the front of the trailer quite a lot.  We built a 22' bed for a KW Cabover and pulled a 40' pull trailer behind that.  The truck was used for delivering Alfalfa to a whole lot of mini farms that were never designed for big trucks.  Having the long overhang on the back of the truck was a blessing on many occasions.

Charlie,

Thanks, we designed the bed to carry something as heavy as an H1 Hummer, though the majority of the time it will carry either a Geo Tracker or a sand car.  Despite the original design criteria, it will probably carry something a lot heavier than a Hummer.

The bulk of the frame is done, with just a few more braces needing to go in and weld everything up.

We should be getting sheet metal back from being sheared, rolled and broke.  That will all start going in, followed by side, top and rear sheeting.  The plan is to have it ready for paint by next week.

John

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

That is a lot of steel!  Looks great.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

1 hour ago, Chad Heiser said:

That is a lot of steel!  Looks great.

Thanks Chad!!

You know what they say, "Go Big or Go Home!!"   Lol

John

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

Well this is V.T. I like the initials for Vegas Teacher good job. I can't say enough good things about John. He did so much to teach me and help me learn how to drive this moster of a truck. John went out of his way to help me and I don't know if I will ever be able to repay him. Yes I would love to get together with anybody on the Forum if you made it to Vegas or P - town as it was called.

I have been away from the forum for a while due to loss of sleep and getting it all back together in my classroom.

I am getting into Mendelian Genetics with my kids now so we are looking at tall and short pea plants and making those squares and predicting what will happen when one plant is crossed with another.

Once again a shout out to big 5er' he was a really great person. 

Later,

Vegas Teacher - Cory O

On ‎2017‎-‎03‎-‎15 at 1:14 AM, VegasFlyer said:

j81Tfg2l.jpg "border=0
[IMG

UpixAvBl.jpg "border=0

BVrb2Bhl.jpg "border=0

Wow, really tidy work!

Can't wait to see more pictures!

What size are the deck beams  2 x 3 or 4??

John

Thanks for the compliment.

The main tubes running lengthwise are 4x4 and the cross pieces are 3x4.

All are .250 wall.

Will try and get more photos to post.

We are hoping to have it sheeted and ready for paint by the end of this weekend.

John

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

VT, my old eyes are rusty and due for a calibration, but the shots that show the wall thickness of the tubes, make them look .250 thick........Either that or my eyes are REALLY due for a serious calibration. Still great looking framing but I'm afraid .025 tubing would not do what you want it to do.  It would be really light, though.  Be safe,         Charlie    OOPS, you posted a correction while I was typing......sorry..........

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

• 2 weeks later...

Right now sheeting is being applied to the inside of the boxes and to the deck and sides.

In a couple days it should be ready to come off of the truck for final welding and painting.

At the same time, we are planning out a wire harness that will be built by Nuke-E.

Will try to get some pictures posted by the end of the week.

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

1 hour ago, VegasFlyer said:

Right now sheeting is being applied to the inside of the boxes and to the deck and sides.

In a couple days it should be ready to come off of the truck for final welding and painting.

At the same time, we are planning out a wire harness that will be built by Nuke-E.

Looking forward to the update, thanks!

17 hours ago, VegasFlyer said:

Hi VegasFlyer,

I am looking for ideas for the rear lights for the back of my truck. Do you have any pictures what your light panel might look like. The panel does not need to have any lights installed. I also have a wiring harness coming from Nuke-E. Any pictures would be great.

Al 

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Al,

We don't' have any pictures right now, but should very soon.  In fact, the design of the rear lights has changed several times in the past week.  The latest plan is for three 4" round lights on each side with three 2" marker lights on a door below the hitch area, which is being built to house sections of the ramps.

John

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

Archived