Adding fog lights to a non-fog light truck

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I have some questions about adding fog lights to a non-fog light truck. The truck in question is a 2012 Volvo 630. The truck came from the factory with no fog / driving lights in the bumper. I found a good deal on E-Bay for brand new Volvo lights. I cut open the bumper exposing the pockets where the lights fit into. Got the correct size bolts and also used some fender washer to help support the lights in the bumper. I also went to the dealer to get the correct wiring harness to connect the lights to the main lighting harness. I thought I was done and ready to see if the new lights work. I was wrong. It seems like I will need to change out the light switch in the cab after doing some reading of the owners manual. The last thing you want to do is read a manual. (lol)  Is that the only thing that I need to change ? I'm I missing something ? Or would you do something different ?

All input is welcomed,    Al                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Interesting!!!   I added the factory fog/driving lights also and I added the correct headlight switch. They did not work but I never thought of a computer re-flash to tell the system that the lights were added. I guess I should have thought about that. 

My solution was to install separate switches and relays. It would have nice to have the correct factory system but this also works.

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

Http:/www.flickr.com/photos/shallow_draft/

Https://flic.kr/p/fqhyAN

You are not lost if you don't care where you are!!

4 hours ago, Bill B said:

Probably going to require  a reflash of the LCM at the dealer to tell it that fog lights and different light switch are now involved.

Hi Everyone,

It looks like a simple idea of adding fog lights could get expensive. Having to have the LCM re-flashed probably is not going to be cheap and I also need a new switch for the dash . There probably is a minimum shop rate to pay to get this done. The truck does not need anything else added to the LCM at this time. All the changes made to the truck was done at the dealer that I bought the truck from as part of the sale. Might just have to add separate switches. Maybe this might be a project I will do at the '17 ECR. If I add separate switches, what kind I parts do I need to look into ?

Al

Al, didn't your truck come with two "AUX" switches that are not in use? Just add your lights and use one of those switches. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

5 hours ago, alan0043 said:

Hi Everyone,

It looks like a simple idea of adding fog lights could get expensive. Having to have the LCM re-flashed probably is not going to be cheap and I also need a new switch for the dash . There probably is a minimum shop rate to pay to get this done. The truck does not need anything else added to the LCM at this time. All the changes made to the truck was done at the dealer that I bought the truck from as part of the sale. Might just have to add separate switches. Maybe this might be a project I will do at the '17 ECR. If I add separate switches, what kind I parts do I need to look into ?

Al

I added 3 relays driving/fog/deck lights. I mounted the relays near the radiator. Relays are cheap and I think the switches were about $15 each.  This allowed for larger wires to the lights and a smaller wires to the switches. I still have the factory light switch, if you want it just pay the postage.  I am in Maricopa, AZ until April 10th.

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

Http:/www.flickr.com/photos/shallow_draft/

Https://flic.kr/p/fqhyAN

You are not lost if you don't care where you are!!

14 hours ago, Big5er said:

Al, didn't your truck come with two "AUX" switches that are not in use? Just add your lights and use one of those switches. 

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the idea. I will have to look to see if the truck has those 'aux' switches.

Hi Shallow Draft,

Thank you for your offer. I am not to sure which way I am going to go. I need to see if there is any extra switches in the truck.

Al

19 hours ago, alan0043 said:

Hi Everyone,

Al

Al,

One thing to consider if you keep the factory wiring. While you are at the dealer getting the LCM re-flashed, the tech can change a LOT of the other settings inside the ECM at the same time. You are probably going to pay for a minimum of one hour shop time so use it to your advantage and get other items changed as well (max speed, droop and rise allowed on cruise, starting gears, brake lights when jakes come on, throttle behavior, etc.). If nothing else, you will be able to see all of the changes that ARE possible on your truck in case you ever want that done in the future. You will also be able to have everything stay factory wired to make your life easier down the road when the mind has a tendency to forget what we did 6 months prior.

David

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

15 hours ago, Shallow Draft said:

I added 3 relays driving/fog/deck lights. I mounted the relays near the radiator. Relays are cheap and I think the switches were about $15 each.  This allowed for larger wires to the lights and a smaller wires to the switches. I still have the factory light switch, if you want it just pay the postage.  I am in Maricopa, AZ until April 10th.

Hi Shallow Draft,

P/M has been sent.

Al

• 7 months later...

alan0043 -- Did you ever get this project working?  My truck is a non- fog light truck also and would like to add some lighting. 

(Yes, the Deep Space lights are on the list, too.)

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

2 hours ago, Av8r3400 said:

alan0043 -- Did you ever get this project working?  My truck is a non- fog light truck also and would like to add some lighting. 

(Yes, the Deep Space lights are on the list, too.)

No I never did get things to work yet. Right now I only have one thing of my list for a re-flash and that is the fog lights. You will see a big difference using the deep space lighting. I need some winter projects and I think the fog lights could fit right in. I also want to add working lights on the back of the truck also. Might just do both project together.

Al

Big Al : ( alan0043 ) 

Remember when my new lights wouldn't work at the ECR two years ago?  I got behind and under the main fuse panel in the dash of the cab, released all four of the LCM plugs, waited 5-10 minutes and replugged them in. Everything works great now. I will occasionally get a " highbeam short circuit" code, but it will always clear on the stalk. Maybe some food for thought.  See you soon !! and Miss Judy sends hugs !!

Denver and Ms Judy Geitgey

2006 VOLVO 780

41 ' Redwood

NTPA Event Announcer

dngeitgey@gmail.com

event.png

This may be kinda silly, but I really like these switches because you can customize them quite a bit.  There are a lot of choices of switch type, logos, and illumination options.  I want some for my pickup, just have not added anything yet that requires them.  Just seems like fun to me. 

https://www.otrattw.net/

YZL1ZL.001.jpg

Jim
Noob entertaining the idea of an HDT and 5'ver.
I like big trucks and I cannot lie...  :)

Hey Alan;

Just a thought...Consider configuring your new wiring such that the switch is on a switched circuit so you can't leave the lights on by mistake. Of course, that will probably play hx!! with the LCM logic. Yes, the lights will come back on when you restart the truck, but better to turn 'em off with the truck running than to have to jump the truck (at night, in the rain and snow, at 40 below with a set of cables that are 6" too short)

Paul

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 5:02 PM, NTPA Announcer said:

Big Al : ( alan0043 ) 

Remember when my new lights wouldn't work at the ECR two years ago?  I got behind and under the main fuse panel in the dash of the cab, released all four of the LCM plugs, waited 5-10 minutes and replugged them in. Everything works great now. I will occasionally get a " highbeam short circuit" code, but it will always clear on the stalk. Maybe some food for thought.  See you soon !! and Miss Judy sends hugs !!

Hi Denver and Miss Judy,

I hope your shopping for a new trailer is going good. See you two in April.

Al

7 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Am I missing something? I would tap into a keyed hot circuit and mount a switch. Seems simple to me

OMG Glenn - this can cause a Main Buss B Undervolt on certain sophisticated trucks :o

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 6:10 AM, adept99 said:

Hey Alan;

Just a thought...Consider configuring your new wiring such that the switch is on a switched circuit so you can't leave the lights on by mistake. Of course, that will probably play hx!! with the LCM logic. Yes, the lights will come back on when you restart the truck, but better to turn 'em off with the truck running than to have to jump the truck (at night, in the rain and snow, at 40 below with a set of cables that are 6" too short)

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thank you for the idea. But I have no idea how you go about doing that. Electrical work is always a challenge for me.

Al

Archived