Best Truck To Tow 38' Trailer?

Adele

On 2017-03-13 at 11:14 PM, Big Greg said:

We have been on the road for 10 years with the 2007 and 2014 F350s.  We've been up and down the Rockies, Sierras, Appalachains, Cascades, Smokies, Cascades on expressways and back roads.  Yes, you have to pay attention and don't plan on racing the semis and you'll be OK.  Patience going down grades is a virtue.  With a 17K pound fifth wheel we've had a great time and are looking forward to more great times in the mountains.  My suggestion for the 1 ton is for it's better payload capacity not brakes.  Speaking of brakes......disc brakes on the fifth wheel is a strongly suggested option.       Greg

If your heart is set on a pick-up ,Greg has a very good point get the best up grade brakes on the trailer .

Trailer brakes are pathetic ,little bitty drums that you used to see on cars back in the 60's ,and they weighed 4000# now the same drums are on trailers that weigh 15,000# .You have ONE hard stop in them and they are toast (for a while) and thats from cold.Usally they are already beyond warm and then you need them to stop now now now.

At least nobody has said yet "trailer brakes stop the trailer" .On other boards I always want to ask 'so in a lock up panic stop the distance is the same with or with out the trailer' ?

we all know its not....... ever.

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone,

Well, it looks like we might be getting a one tonne, dually, long box. We are getting an inspection done tomorrow.

We found a 2013 Chevrolet diesel 3500HD 2WD, DRW with a payload capacity of 5,484 pounds. Our trailer hitch weight is 2300 pounds so this should be more than enough. I know everyone says towing capacity doesn't matter, but this beast will tow 22,800 pounds. (Stats from Chevy.) It has 64,000 miles.

Any other recommendations before we buy? Input appreciated.

p.s. We won't get an HDT or MDT so please no comments about that!  :)

Adele

Research and seriously consider an "Exhaust Brake" for the truck.

This is a devise which uses engine exhaust pressure to assist slowing the vehicle.  On a light duty truck this may help your brake capabilities.  

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

Sounds like a good decision to me.  Pin weights can be surprising so I'd suggest getting the rig weighted so you know.  Our specified pin weight was 2700 pounds and it's actually 3600 pounds on a 17K pound fifth wheel.  I believe you are going in a direction that provides great flexibility.  Seriously consider disc brakes on your fifth wheel, not only are they great at breaking but 10 years and 70K miles on our fifth wheel and still have the original Dexter rotors and pads, zero problems.  I'd also suggest Good Sam or Coach-Net Emergency Road Service if you ever get stuck AND it's great if you ever have other common rig problems on the road......as most of us have had.              Greg 

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

You are on the right track with a dual wheel truck.  I would never consider a single wheel truck with a trailer that big.  Do folks haul trailers with a single wheel truck every day?  Sure.  Within weight rating?  Absolutely.  Get it down the flat road during optimum conditions without an issue?  Yep.  But it's the times when the trailer is trying to drive the truck on a downhill curve, or a crosswind, or a sudden move required to avoid an accident or some other dumbass on the road when you will be very glad you have the dual rear wheels.  I have probably 500k miles driving duallies, and a bunch on my 6500 Topkick, and after a little while you won't even notice the wider rear fenders.  After all, the mirrors are the widest point on the truck and the same on both models.  You can take and park a dually anywhere you can take a car, although you will learn to back into spaces rather than pulling in, just due to length.  Same story with my 6500, but on that one you do generally need to hoof it a little farther when parking at the grocery store.  But I'll drive it anywhere, including downtown Key West, which is notoriously tight on parking.  The only thing you can't do with a dually is drive it through the 6 buck laser wash. 

On 3/17/2017 at 4:16 PM, Adele said:

Hi everyone,

Well, it looks like we might be getting a one tonne, dually, long box. We are getting an inspection done tomorrow.

We found a 2013 Chevrolet diesel 3500HD 2WD, DRW with a payload capacity of 5,484 pounds. Our trailer hitch weight is 2300 pounds so this should be more than enough. I know everyone says towing capacity doesn't matter, but this beast will tow 22,800 pounds. (Stats from Chevy.) It has 64,000 miles.

Adele

Congratulations on picking a diesel 3500HD 2WD, DRW.  The only thing I can suggest that you carry with you is a snatch strap.  I bought a 30 foot 6 inch wide one.  It should have enough working load to snatch the truck with the 5ver attatached is ever needed.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

• 1 month later...
On March 12, 2017 at 11:53 AM, Adele said:

Hi everyone,

We want to buy a used diesel truck in the next 2 weeks and need some advice. 

We purchased a 2015 38' Canyon Trail with four slideouts. Dry weight about 12,000 pounds. We plan to take it around North America and spend a good amount of time in the mountains so we need something with guts to pull it through mountain passes. 

We have been looking for a diesel truck, a Chrysler 2500HD or 3500 because the manufacturer shows it will pull about 16,000. (We want an extra 30% towing capacity.)

We have been unable to find towing statistics for Ford and Dodge trucks so I'm wondering if someone can recommend models easily capable of pulling this rig?

Thanks in advance.

It is amazing how people come to any forum and ask people for advice because they, themselves, do not have a clue as to what they need.  And and then ignore the overall consensus, continuing to shop opinions until they hear what they were leaning toward in the beginning.

Regardless of specs or what would fit into your plans, a trailer of that size will require a lot more truck than anything that you listed.

And the one common point that everyone is trying to caution you about, is not the towing capacity, it is the capacity for the truck to contend with the trailer going down a steep winding road or in an emergency stop or heavy wind.....

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

The rear brakes on my 06 chevy 3500 are twice the size/weight of a chevy 2500 truck. I have worked on both models and the 3500 dually drums are way much heavier. The braking system (dually rear axle) is probably the biggest advantage over the 2500 models, the rest of the powertrain or vehicle is the same between models. That being said, if your trailer brakes are in good working condition and you go slow, going down hill should not be a problem, even with a 2500 truck

Congrads to the OP on their 2013 Chevy 3500 purchase, you have a very capable truck and that is what I would buy if my 06 Chevy would give me a reason to replace it. Being 4 years old, make sure the maint is up to date according to the owners manual. Most important to get the fluids replaced, antifreeze, brake, steering, trans, and diff

Greg

I believe the OP choice of a 2013 Chevrolet diesel 3500HD 2WD, DRW to tow his 2015 Canyon Trail with 4 slides is a good decision.  Not knowing the model and looking at what comes close it looks like 15000 pound GVWR and going heavy estimate 3300 pin weight.  No way is a MDT or HDT required.         Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350

On 4/20/2017 at 9:42 PM, Big Greg said:

I believe the OP choice of a 2013 Chevrolet diesel 3500HD 2WD, DRW to tow his 2015 Canyon Trail with 4 slides is a good decision.  Not knowing the model and looking at what comes close it looks like 15000 pound GVWR and going heavy estimate 3300 pin weight.  No way is a MDT or HDT required.         Greg

Required no but a much better ride and stopping just can't compare.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

On 4/20/2017 at 7:42 PM, Big Greg said:

You're exactly right, Greg.  An MDT or HDT isn't required, especially since we aren't bringing another vehicle and the GVWR is 14200. We are also more comfortable driving a duelly around town.

ANYWAY -  We drove our fifth wheel from Houston to Colorado. The truck performed beautifully and the exhaust brake is amazing. 

Thanks to everyone who provided input. 

On 3/17/2017 at 2:16 PM, Adele said:

Hi everyone,

Adele

You do not need an HDT or MDT. The trailer has a dry weight of 12,000 lb and gross weight of 14,730 lbs according to the trailers I looked up. Hopefully you do not overload the trailer, if you do then all bets are off. If those figures I looked up are incorrect then my comment have no value. 

I congratulate you for choosing the dually, you will love it and be perfectly safe assuming you are a safety conscience driver. Don't buy a 50 gal aux fuel tank for the truck. Don't carry 500 lbs of crap in the bed. Don't carry a family of 6 in the cab. This is not a heavy trailer. Get it weighed and drive with common sense. If you can weigh the pin do so before you purchase to confirm you don't overload the rear axle.

Tim & Cheryl
2015 Mobile Suites 39 TKSB3
2009 Volvo 670 D13 I-Shift  “Walter”

Happily Living Somewhere In Nevada

649EF470-4F2A-4D47-8AB9-AFD3462E24F4.jpeg

It's hard to overload a Chevy dually that uses a Dana axle rated for 11,000 lbs. I carry a 100 gallon aux tank, bed full of tools including a welder and a loaded 34' Cameo fifth wheel camper, and the scales only show 6600 lbs on the rear axle. Plenty of capacity load left over. Do a scale check for $10 at a truck stop and you will get a per axle weight.

Edit - No RV manufacture's even come close to suggesting a HDT for hauling their units and only a few RV's really even need a MDT.

Greg

I overloaded mine. At least the suspension. Bowed the springs backwards. Added air bags to offset and rode like a sledge. So it's not difficult to overload a dually. Op should be fine though.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Glen, I see on another forum you had a rear axle weight of 8980, which should not have been overloaded. A suspension shop might have been able to correct the spring issue. I hauled a 27k loaded gooseneck trailer for 3 years with my Chevy 3500 and the springs sometimes rode flat.

Greg

On Wednesday, April 26, 2017 at 3:38 AM, GlennWest said:

I overloaded mine. At least the suspension. Bowed the springs backwards. Added air bags to offset and rode like a sledge. So it's not difficult to overload a dually. Op should be fine though.

I went with a hauler bed after that. Could not level coach due to truck bed side height. So lowering coach plus extra weight of bed added up. Anyway an HDT is a much safer and pleasant tow. One is not for everyone though. Some just can't see the benefits.

On 4/25/2017 at 9:34 PM, gjhunter01 said:

It's hard to overload a Chevy dually that uses a Dana axle rated for 11,000 lbs. I carry a 100 gallon aux tank, bed full of tools including a welder and a loaded 34' Cameo fifth wheel camper, and the scales only show 6600 lbs on the rear axle. Plenty of capacity load left over. Do a scale check for $10 at a truck stop and you will get a per axle weight.

Edit - No RV manufacture's even come close to suggesting a HDT for hauling their units and only a few RV's really even need a MDT.

Greg

RV manufactures would never suggest an HDT they just want the RV out the door and never see it again.

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

I respect that HDT owners love their trucks and believe it's the best tow vehicle, for them it is.  It is not the best tow vehicle for everyone.  We do not want to climb in and out of such a tall vehicle, I do not want it as a daily driver, I do not want to load a small second vehicle onto a HDT, I am not familiar or comfortable with the mechanics or maintenance of a HDT, I don't want to park an HDT in carefully selected campgrounds, our F350 rides great and has all the creature comforts of a quality car.  I am glad that so many like their HDT but it's not for me and many others.  Please don't try to convince me (and probably many others) otherwise.        Greg    

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350

6 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Some just can't see the benefits.

Everybody is different and has different needs. My son is a owner/operator of a Freightliner flatbed of which I have operated, wrenched, and cringed at the expense enough to realize that a HDT would not be practical for my RV style. My son offered to trade me one of his 06 Freightliners for my 06 Chevy, I was quick to turn that offer down.

Greg

That is why the MDT was invented. 

I like climbing in and out of such a tall vehicle..it gives amazing viability..it can also handle quality seats which no pick up can handle. My cab, seats and rear axle are also air ride..as well as brakes which are heads / tails  above hydraulic .  It is quieter in my cab than my wife's Subaru. I could use it as  my daily driver but I have a RAM and other toys for that.  I do not require a small second vehicle .  My maintenance of a MDT is less expensive than my truck because it doesn't rely on components but rather parts. Labour rate is the same.  I get better gas mileage too..I don't need carefully selected campgrounds because my MDT has the same footprint as a one ton dually. Our MDT rides better than a one ton and has all the creature comforts of a quality car.  I like my MDT and wish people would realize that stopping and turning is as important as pulling. I have been complimented by many profession truck drives on using an appropriate tow vehicle. Oh, for a low mileage model, I paid less that a 1/2 ton would have cost me. Dr. Phil once said that there are 2 types of people..those that get it and those that don't....  I wish more would pull with an appropriate sized TV..

I looked at a HDT but our needs didn't warrant it.

It is interesting that LEOs are now looking at folks pulling a too large trailer as a source of income..

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

. Beagle co-pilots - Faffy and Lulu

4 hours ago, Big Greg said:

I respect that HDT owners love their trucks and believe it's the best tow vehicle, for them it is.  It is not the best tow vehicle for everyone.  We do not want to climb in and out of such a tall vehicle, I do not want it as a daily driver, I do not want to load a small second vehicle onto a HDT, I am not familiar or comfortable with the mechanics or maintenance of a HDT, I don't want to park an HDT in carefully selected campgrounds, our F350 rides great and has all the creature comforts of a quality car.  I am glad that so many like their HDT but it's not for me and many others.  Please don't try to convince me (and probably many others) otherwise.        Greg    

That is one of the advantages of this life style! Just because something works for me doesn't mean it will always work for you and visa-versa. One thing I refuse to do is try to convince someone of something unless it is a real safety hazard. For me, Yes, I want an HDT, but the way things went last week I need to put it off for a while...........

VisitedStatesMap.gif

Archived