Horrible, just horrible forum change

rbertalotto

Not a problem change is a ongoing event.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Jim Seward said:

My thoughts, If it works OK, leave it alone, if it's broke, fix it.  

So help me to understand why the format was changed?? Did someone in the office have too much free time?

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

The board worked well as it was.. and  the information posted on the board is what is important...not the look.

It was easy to get on..click on the latest..read, maybe post and leave. Clean and simple.  Now it is not.

I spent a good portion of my life in IT.. change for change sake isn't necessarily good .. and it was mentioned that we are an older crowd..

So the question is why ?

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

. Beagle co-pilots - Faffy and Lulu

I like it so far :) I spend most of my time on my phone or tablet and so far it works great on mobile devices. If you don't want notifications uncheck the box before you post.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

I've been playing with the new format for just a few minutes and there are all sorts of functions to customize the site for the way you want to use it. No it's not the same as it was but I think if you work with it for a few minutes you may grow to like it. 

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

4 hours ago, lappir said:

My first post with the new format and I want to know how to stop from getting an email when something is posted on the forum. I DO NOT want any emails sent to me from this site. 

Rod

The global notification settings are located under your name (upper right).  Select Account Settings and then select Notification Settings.  

After you turn off everything possible, select Save.

Line 1 - ends with just the return (enter) key.

Line 2 - ends with shift-return (shift-enter) key combination.
Line 3

I also like it. Works for me exactly as it always has. Those who don't like change need to have a good look around. Television is now colored. Cars are better. They even have a thing called the internet. Those things, along with many thousands of other things, have all evolved through change. The world is always evolving. Maybe sometime too quick for some folks. But nonetheless change is inevitable.

I'm positive those behind the change never sat around a table and figured out how to deliberately annoy the members. Their intent was for ALL of our benefit. Give them some slack and let them do any fine tuning that needs to be done. Read what David Sand is posting before jumping in with more issues. Keep in mind, it's always easier to criticize than create.

regards

Yes Bruce, things have changed.  And the new cars, etc came WITH INSTRUCTIONS so that operators could understand how the new capabilities were engaged.  Everyone of those listing problems were because there was no instructions, no terminology changes FAQ, and no heads up we are changing things.  Those are just the things that a company that appreciates its customers do to make sure the customers stay with them through the years.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Barb I understand some of the frustration. But I wonder how the membership could have been consulted. I'm not sure how many folks use this forum but I would bet everyone has a different opinion. I would have been a nightmare to 'consult' with members re any changes. As for instructions I have my doubts about that even. David Sand has been posting help yet some folks choose to still have issues. Besides how many people 'read' instructions and where would they have posted them?

I'm a member of many forums. Many of them have changed over the years. All without the reaction I have seen here. I really wonder what those responsible would have done differently. (FWIW I was involved with a large RV club who found that a forum was simply too much work trying to keep everyone happy. So it was closed down. Don't let that happen here).

Give them time.

regards

10 hours ago, Kirk W said:

See Barb's post from above.

How about the administrators change everything back to the way it was? I had no problems before the change. Now I have multiple unwanted, undesired and non important emails in my mail box. I have not changed. Something has. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

14 hours ago, lappir said:

How about the administrators change everything back to the way it was?

They can't.

This forum isn't hosted on Escapees' servers; rather, it's hosted by a third-party company and they're the ones who made the change. 

The administrators here are, at least, making changes...the Announcements which appeared at the top of every single page when it was first rolled out have disappeared, for example.

As for the emails you're receiving, this has been discussed in one of the numerous threads about the change to this new format, with a solution.  You might want to browse through those threads to find it.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Yes I agree Barb. Communications is always key. But hindsight is a great teacher. I'm sure those responsible would love to have their time over. But you can't unscramble the egg. We ALL need to accept the change and make the best of it. Backward steps are never a great idea.

regards

6 hours ago, bruce t said:

Yes I agree Barb. Communications is always key. But hindsight is a great teacher. I'm sure those responsible would love to have their time over. But you can't unscramble the egg. We ALL need to accept the change and make the best of it. Backward steps are never a great idea.

regards

Bruce

You can decide what changes you like.  It seems like a lot of others differ.  Many seem to consider this a backward step.

This forum has just about become more trouble than it's worth.

Newt

2012 HitchHiker Discover America 345 LKSB

2009 Dodge/Cummins

LIVINGSTON TX

On 3/10/2017 at 2:21 PM, Barbaraok said:

You can get away from those emails by going to the Browse tab, then click on each forum you want to follow.  When you click "follow" a popup will appear that will allow you to say you don't want an email sent to you.   You have to do that for each and every forum you want to follow.  The use the activity tab to go and set up a Stream specific to what you want.  At least that is how I ended up doing it.  Doesn't seem to be a way to do a global "do not want email notifications" that I have found but it is probably there somewhere.  

Thanks.

2009 Four Winds Chateau - 25' class C          2002 Chevy Tracker

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

I can't agree with the topic title. I would say the new forum is different but I can't find even one area that comes close to horrible.

Yep, looks different and acts a bit different and that name reversion was sure a kicker but it does look like a workable and usable forum.  Shame the no warning but shhhh, erm, um, "it" happens.

Berkshire XL 40QL

Camphosting and touring

6 minutes ago, Chris-n-Dennis said:

I can't agree with the topic title. I would say the new forum is different but I can't find even one area that comes close to horrible.

Agree! The older we get the more we resist change of any kind and even more with major changes. How many times will it take for the IT guys to explain that it was not of their doing nor was it optional since the server host is who did the update? Of course, communication isn't a strong suit for most IT departments and I don't believe that this one is any different.. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I am becoming accustomed to the new forum and how to use it to my satisfaction.  I'm OK with it now.  I still can't completely forgive the Escapees for not warning us of the significant forum change and not communicating with us after so many complaints and explaining why the changes were made and some simple instructions such as finding new posts and marking them read.  If your know your customers/users are upset communicate so we know you are aware of our concerns and doing something.  Should we expect the signature info to return?  Thanks.....Greg.

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

I changed my password 3 times thinking I was not getting on to the right forum. Once I figured out that it was the same one and it had been changed I was lost. I was trying to find the conversations that I had been contributing to in the past and found that it was far to much work to locate them. Now reading this discussion on how to execute the same action that before used to be as simple as a single click that was right there in front of you. I am not only not a fan of this new format. I think it has taken a step backwards as far as user friendliness goes. Trying to navigate my way around this new format is more confusing to me and more work then it is worth. Sorry but this is my opinion and because of if I will be spending a lot less time here...

Norm & Rhonda

2013 Volvo VNL780 500HP D-13 12 Speed iShift Trans

2008 Jayco F 36 V 40' Toy Hauler

2016 Smart Fortwo Prime

2014 Harley-Davidson CVO Limited

14 hours ago, Big Greg said:

I still can't completely forgive the Escapees for not warning us of the significant forum change and not communicating with us after so many complaints and explaining why the changes were made and some simple instructions such as finding new posts and marking them read.  If your know your customers/users are upset communicate so we know you are aware of our concerns and doing something.  Should we expect the signature info to return?  Thanks.....Greg.

They may not have known in advance.  This forum is hosted by a third party and it could be that, doing a regularly scheduled update, they were as surprised by the changes as everyone else.  At any rate, per the explanation by one of the Escapees staff hidden here among the MANY threads about the change, the old format wasn't going to be supported anymore, so they didn't have any choice but to make the change short of changing to a new host.

I agree that there could be communications to us about things like when the signatures will return.  But they're probably scrambling to figure out how the new forum works, too.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

While I do agree that a "heads up" for the change would have been preferred, my philosophy on changes like this is to consider whether I would have kept coming back here if this is the way it was when I first joined. Since I haven't found any insurmountable issues with the new format yet, My answer is still "Yes"...

For those still missing the "New Since..." button, this is the link I use to open the forum: http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?/discover/unread/&

Follow that with the "Mark Site Read" button when done catching up as previously, mentioned, and you effectively have your button back.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Archived