2017 Winnebago View 24g

Jim AZSod

Hi, Newbie here...I am planning to purchase/order a new Win View 24G and seeking suggestions on worthwhile options. The purchase decision is based primarily on my need for respite from being the 24/7 caregiver for my wife (Alzheimer's). We will be having more outside help, and for the sake of both of our well-beings, I need to get away for a few days to occasionally a few weeks. I have an impaired immune system and dislike motels and hotels.

An RV has always been on my bucket list plus I expect my 13 year old granddaughter and 8 year old grandson will be accompanying me on some of the trips. Most of the trips will be in the Midwest and mountain west in the summers and the Southwest in the winters. Will start without a toad but will leave that open for future consideration. My current idea is to go with the dinette (versus the couch), and the overhead bed so the kids can have separate sleeping areas. Other than that I would appreciate any ideas on possible options to enhance the experience.

Thank you.

I'd like to know more about the 2-point electric stabilizing system as our View had a tendency to wallow at curb cuts. Mercedes Benz offers an upgraded suspension system for vehicles that carry their loads high but I don't think the View has that. I had it on my last Sprinter and it was wonderful!

Depending on where you plan to be, the dual pane windows and heated drainage system might be nice.

I would get the dinette as a place to eat and play games with the kids but it may not be a wonderful bed. Our dinette cushions made a hump in the middle but as a kid I could sleep anywhere so it may not matter much to you.

I like to put a cover over the vent fan so it can be open in the rain--thus the automatic rain closer thingy never appealed to me.

I'm also a fan of solar power but if you never plan to be away from hookups that would be less important to you.

I hope you enjoy your new rig and the recharging time it allows you.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

What options are you offered from Winnie?

The factory options include:

A large screen (9") infotainment system w/ Rand McNally Rv GPS, and color rearview camera.

2 Point electric stabilizing system

Powered skylight/roof vent in living area

Sliding, pleated windshield blinds

Dual pane acrylic windows

Powered vent for bathroom

The standard 15M BTU a/c and 20M BTU furnace can be replaced with optional 15M BTU a/c with heat pump

100 Watt solar panel battery charger et al

Heated drainage

Top of the list, if not standard you want leveling jacks.

Thanks Kirk, that is something I have flagged. I asked about them at an RV show and the salesman downplayed the need plus "it lowers your ground clearance."

I haven't found leveling jacks listed as part of the factory options but I assume there must be suitable after market options?

HWH levers are what most View/Navion owners install after market. They've been popular with that group for years. BTW, there is a View/Navion group on Yahoo if you are interested. They have a gathering at Q in January and a row of their own at the Winnebago Grand National Rally in the summer. Good places to find out tips and tricks others are using.

Linda Sand

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Thanks Kirk, that is something I have flagged. I asked about them at an RV show and the salesman downplayed the need plus "it lowers your ground clearance."

I haven't found leveling jacks listed as part of the factory options but I assume there must be suitable after market options?

I don't think that your salesperson knows much about motorhomes, with an answer like that. I know tow owners of the View and both use leveling jacks. I'd bet that the dealer installs them on units that do not come with such a system. You may want to check to see just what the "2 Point electric stabilizing system" listed in the options is, as that might be some kind of leveling system, but I question it's ability to level as compared to jacks. I do see leveling jacks as an option on the Cambria so for some reason they don't offer them on the View.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Jim,

Lots of good advice but most of it is not relevant to the View/Navion models. Having just gone through a lot of this with the purchase of a Navion 24V in the last week.

Since there will be just yourself traveling, take a look at the J and V floor plans. Better bathroom designs, and very importantly, better CCC. The G floorplan is has the lowest carrying capacity of the three models.

Here's my list of must haves:

Heated drainage system

Window blinds for the cab area

Upgrade to 15k BTU heat pump (this is not in place of your gas furnace, BTW)

Front cap with bed (no one will sleep up there but it is good storage space)

Skylight with power roof vent

Power vent in the bath

Cab seat cushions (booster seats when using the seats rotated)

Bedroom TV

Deluxe sleep system (J and V models only)

Nice to haves:

Solar panel

Tankless water heater

Collision avoidance system

Full body paint (if you live in the Southwest)

Diesel generator

Marbella high gloss interior

Would not bother:

electric stabilizers

Dual-pane windows

As I mentioned earlier, CCC on these units is really low. The J and V models are about 1200 lbs depending on options but the G model is about 800 pounds.

HWH, Bigfoot, and one other company offer leveling systems for the Sprinter chassis. All of them add weight and all of them are installed aftermarket. Once I figure out what weight I have to play with, I will probably add the HWH system. Meantime, it's plastic blocks.

Have fun with your search. BTW, we downsized from a Tiffin Phaeton to our Navion.

Roger & Mary
2014 Phaeton 36GH
2012 Honda Fit
Zoe (lab mix) and the cats (Sam & Milly)

We never added the HWH levelers to our 2008 View. We used the plastic blocks. But we had two people so I could tell Dave when to move and when to stop to get centered on them. We did like the bigger bathroom in the H model but did not find the sofa or dinette comfortable for sleeping. I have no idea how much they might have improved those in the intervening years. But I would not have liked the weight limit of the G for two of us. It might be OK for one as long as your grandkids don't bring much gear when they join you.

Linda Sand

Jim,

If you plan to order one, expect 12 weeks for delivery. We found what we wanted on a dealer lot and so we bought that. Almost no Winnebago problems but a couple of Mercedes problems. My first exposure to Mercedes service and I don't think I'll ever buy a car from them. Example: I had to call the scheduling person's boss to get her to call me and schedule an appointment for a bad starting battery. Really, happened today.

Roger & Mary
2014 Phaeton 36GH
2012 Honda Fit
Zoe (lab mix) and the cats (Sam & Milly)

Thanks to everyone for your comments. Based on your suggestions; more time spent on manufacturer videos of the various models, and some very detailed visits with dealers we decided on the 24V. We found a unit today with the 'must haves' and no unneccesary extras and we believe it will serve us well.

And I am happy to use the "we" because my wife participated in the search and is looking forward to joining me on some trips.

Jim, I spoke with a friend & neighbor who has owned his View now for 3 years and his didn't offer leveling jacks but he had them installed by HWH and is very pleased that he did. As much as he enjoys his View he also believes the "2 point electric stabilizing" is only effective for level pavement. He says that his will sway enough when walking through it using only the "2 point" that the satellite TV will loose signal quality from the swaying.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I do want to attend Boot Camp and whatever other RV training services available but, according to what I can find online, the next Boot Camp in our area (PHX) will be the week we have a family reunion in CA. Given the number of years it has been since I have driven a 20 foot plus straight truck, I think I will try to get into an RV driving school as well.

Looking at the Tucson Escapade, there should be some informative sessions there as well. Because of some overlap with our CA trip, we wouldn't be able to attend the first part but could attend the last few days. Is it still possible to sign up?

Check the schedule, I think they have it in Wickenburg also. I know it is given several times a year. Most of us have learned what we know via trial and error, would have loved to have a boot camp to go to. Still a learning curve(actually after 40 years still learning) would be less steep.

We are all here to support you if you have questions.

we decided on the 24V.

Good for you! That's the one I would probably pick if we were buying today. Although I would miss having the dinette so would probably choose the L-shaped option. Love all those upper cupboards in the bedroom. And the fact that the TV is directly across from the sofa for our movie watching. Hmmm. Maybe if we pulled out that L I could put my feet up while watching movies? :)

Linda Sand

Archived