RV Hauler Deck Rough Pricing

ktlobb11

Hi Kevin,

Welcome to the forum. My first truck was already converted. I am working on my second truck. If you are handy with tools and have the room you can build your own bed. Most of the beds are steel. But who said you need a steel bed. There are some nice looking wooden beds out there. You can always do your truck in stages. A lot of guys that are gear heads can't just leave things alone. Me included. On my second truck I will stuff to the truck when I think it is needed. My thoughts are get the basics and keep adding. If you build a wooden bed you can make changes to it down the road easier. There is always the cost to look at. Just an idea I want to throw out there. If you can get to the East Coast Rally this year you will see several different ways to do things. You don't have to stay the whole if your schedule does not permit.

Best of luck and keep on asking questions,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Ok, we have officially registered for the East Coast Rally and have made reservations (Offsite) for the week, looking forward to meeting anyone who's going to be there and ready to learn as much as my brain can handle.

Kevin and Donette

2019 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA (Moving in 4/29)
2020 Volvo 860 (Hopefully on the Production Line)
2016 Smart Prime Coupe “Phase One”

Kevin and Donette,

I think you are going to enjoy coming to the rally. Having the chance to look, ask questions about why the owner of a truck did something a certain way and get inside the cab's and get some seat time will be invaluable in making your choices.

Make sure you take lots of pictures, bring a measuring tape, takes lots of notes and draw sketches that combine what you like in different beds so you can look back at them later when decision time rolls around.

We probably measured 20 trucks and looked at a lot of items that are not apparent at the start (David Dixon's lighting lecture shouldn't be missed). Even something as simple as shelf spacing in the drom box to match your storage solutions needs to be considered.

Looking forward to seeing you there

David

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Kevin and Donette,

My wife and I went to 2 ECR's not owning a HDT and we enjoyed each trip. We got our Volvo from a member of the HDT forum so all I did was get in and learn to shift. I never drove a big rig before the day I climbed into our truck. So we'll be looking foreward to meeting you 2 at the ECR. There is a lot of info there to be learned and a great bunch of people to help you learn and enjoy. Especially the Happy Hour(s)! Until then be safe. We were down your way in Oct. We spent 5 days at the campground in Wildwood waiting for the hurricane to make up it's mind which way it was heading. When it went north we went south to Key West for a week With the Volvo towing a 43' 5er. We were on the road for 6 weeks. Had a great time. So welcome to the crowd. Pat

The Old Sailor

I went a different route than mentioned here. My truck bed was 4k. Any change was reflected in cost. Mounting hitch, building chocks, extra. They also singled mine. All total with hitch included 10k ish. I plan on adding boxes myself. Do not intend to do sides. Believe boxes will be enough. I must admit though other projects get in the way.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Most of the time our bed is a.....box, a 20 ft Morgan (think Ryder box truck) it has a roll up back door and a four ft wide curb side door that is so handy.

The truck had a very basic 12 ft wood bed when we bought it and once in a while we drop the box and use the bed but we love the box so the bed days are numbered.

Our trailer is tiny and basic at 30 ft toy box without any slides so we are odd ducks but it works well for us, and the longer we have the box the better we like it.

Boxes come in all sizes and one could be configured to hold a Smart side loaded but as far as I know no has yet to configure such.

We have too many toads to chose from but the box can hold any toad we chose as well as 330 gal water totes and couple tons of horse hay and a zillion other horse essentials.......

Henry has a box with a crane rail that he uses to haul hitches and all of his geezer gear......it's nice to have your gear secure and out of sight.

Boxes tend to be cheeeep used but you need to shop around to find a nice one.

Just something to ponder......

Drive on........(think out of the.....box)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

So, Kevin, as you can see, there is a WIDE range of possibilities on a bed and on the total truck conversion. Some people do a minimal bed and leave the truck tandem - and basically do nothing else. Some people do a more "hauler" style bed but don't do much else to the truck - leaving it tandem. And some people make the truck "their own" and customize it to fit their lifestyle. (I'd be one of the latter :) )

You can do as much or as little as you want, to meet your needs. The key is to start with a good truck. Because until you get a truck to the "reliable" status, nothing else really matters. Taking shortcuts on the mechanical side of things is not something I'd recommend - unless you don't mind working alongside the road. On ANY truck, except new, I strongly encourage a repair fund that is just used to handle things that go "wrong". And they will. This money is not for routine maintenance, or for improvements of any kind. It is just to "fix things that break, or will break". On newer trucks with automated trans and pollution "improvements" figure on at least an $8K fund.

The truck we will bring to the ECR will be highly customized - assuming it gets completed. It should demonstrate many of the things that "can" be done. Of course there will always be something "new" to add, and everyone has needs that vary. For example, some people, I'm sure, would feel that the battery-driven APU on this truck is "unnecessarily" expensive. And it is, if you don't need it. I use the truck as an office or as a guest room, so for me, it works. It would not for others. You get the drift. Part of the value of the Rally (any of them) is that you get to see MANY examples of what people feel is valuable, or simply unique solutions to problems. It will help you in your long-term planning.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Kevin and Donette,

Welcome to the forum. You will fill up with knowledge at the ECR. Bring your pad of questions and notes, Take plenty of pictures and don't be afraid to ask any thing. Just stay as long as you can, have fun and bring your favorite beverage of choice. Oh , one more thing.....and don't worry about wasting away to nothing....

See you soon !

We're in lot 309,

Denver and Ms Judy Geitgey

2006 VOLVO 780

41 ' Redwood

NTPA Event Announcer

dngeitgey@gmail.com

event.png

Thanks to all for the great feedback, very educational and some great advice. Looking forward to meeting and visiting with as many of you as I can at the ECR.

Can't wait to kick the process into high gear.

Thanks Again

Kevin

2019 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA (Moving in 4/29)
2020 Volvo 860 (Hopefully on the Production Line)
2016 Smart Prime Coupe “Phase One”

Kevin: Since you are five years away, time is on your side. You might want to consider making a "wish list" for your HDT and then start looking in the FOR SALE section. In five years, I am guessing you will find a truck that meets your needs. Here are some things to consider:

1. For a Volvo engine, has the "oil seeping wire harness" been replaced? If not, plan on spending about $2,500 for repairs.

2. Do you want an APU? Very handy for trips without the trailer.

3. Do you want a GPS system? There are programs that will direct you away from low bridges.

4. Do you want a back up camera system?

5. Do you want a black water tank on your HDT. Very handy for dumping you RV tanks, when boon docking. You will need a macerator pump.

6. Do you want a fresh water tank on your HDT. Again, very handy for boon docking.

7. Do you want a TV?

8. Do you want satellite service . . . . for whatever?

9. Do you want cell phone amplifier?

10. Do you want a third step, for easy access?

11. What color do you want?

12. What engine (size, make, model) do you want?

13. What transmission (manual or automated) do you want?

14. Do you want long, short or mid wheel base?

15. What hitch do you want? ET Jr., ET Sr. (and other variants of the ET hitch) or another hitch?

16. How will you convert tractor wiring to work on RV? Jackalopee?

17. Do you need a deer (or moose) guard bumper?

18. Do want solar panels on the HDT?

19. Be wary of HDT's that have spent their working life in snow country. Rust can be a problem. Bolts tend to get "welded" in place due to corrosion.

Perhaps others will chime in and add to the "wish list."

Lastly, if you buy from someone on the forum, you will likely have a history of the truck, from the day it was re-titled as an RV. At the amount of miles we put on these "gentle giants," they will outlive most of us. So they will get "adopted" by another family.

Safe Travels.

Archived