May Go Class A DP to A 5th

wildmandmc

In a few Months might be thinking of trading in class a dp for a 5th wheeler. Only problem i know almost as jack sht does.

about the 5'ers. I would also have to get a truck. It be for 2 ppl but i will also be inheriting a mother in law an a small dog. I know what's a good or top of line for class a but whiat is a good 5th wheeler. prob looking in the 34 ft range. Something like a 40 ft wouldn't be able to get in back yard. Is there any brands/models to stay away from. ? I was also thinking if i got a f250 or a 2500 truck would that pull the 5th. without straining the tranny. Also would need that extra bed or Couch that turns into a bed.

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

An F250-class truck won't handle an upper end 5'er. May as well look for an F350-class dually, as that's what you will end up with anyway.

As for high end brands, New Horizons is a custom-made brand. A 34' coach is pretty small for three people, and finding a factory one that size set up for three might be difficult. NH can build one for you - at a price. Spacecraft (Concordia, MO) is another one. If you are looking for an off-the-shelf one (less money) look at the DRV Mobile Suites.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

We just went the other way..... got out of a Heartland Cyclone 4100 with a Chevy 3500 DMax crew cab dually. The trailer was 18-19000# and 45', the whole rig 63'.

Budget????

Second the DRV, nicely done..... New Horizons is custom also very nice. But these two are $$$$$

Plain vanilla trailers are lighter and a 34' er would go behind a 3/4 ton truck. Anything heavier, no.

What brands to stay away from? Almost all of them, but that's just me. I have very little faith in the mid and lower level crapola coming out of Elkhart. Some are a little better than others, but on most of them "Tight is good, stripped is better."..... Go to the RV show and look, and I mean LOOK at the hinges, fasteners, seals, electrical and plumbing, windows and hatches and all the little details you normally don't see. Layout and colors is one thing. Stuff falling apart is another. If there is a lot of stripped, crooked, misaligned and sawdust.......run away. Look at axles and tires and do the math on what they are rated for. The 80% rule is the absolute max you should settle for. (At GVWR). Speaking of which, LOOK at the yellow sticker and see what the CCC (Cargo Carrying Capacity) is. You'll be amazed to see that some of them you can bring one set of clothes and a six pack. Look for upgraded pin boxes and suspension systems. (Moride is a good brand for these things) Disc brakes are better than drums.

But, do the homework on the trucks first. Find all the applicable weights for the models you are interested in. GVWR (pin weight comes out of here and is 15-20% of trailer weight) GCVWR. The 80% rule is a very good one. DIesel pulls nicer than gas. 6 speed tranny is a must. Don't even TRY it with a three speed. Duallies track MUCH better than singles. But, because the pin is over the axle there is no tail, and thus no wagging the dog so stability is better to begin with. And as a daily driver the broad hips are sometimes a challenge in the mall parking lot.

Advantages: Cheaper per square foot than a class A, the truck can do other tasks and will hold it's value MUCH better than the class A. When you get there you have something decent to drive and not a small toad. (Unless you have a LARGE class A towing a LARGE toad). Less maintenance on the trailer itself. Storage in the truck bed for hoses, ladders etc. SAFETY...... a crash in a steel box with airbags is preferable to a crash in a styrofoam cottage with a six acre windshield in front of you.

Disadvantage...... No going back getting a cold water or making a pitt stop for the passengers. Getting out of the truck in crappy weather during rest stops. And this was the MAJOR sticking point for us: the ride. Even after installing a pin box and expensive hitch with airbags in them....... a truck is a truck is a truck especially one that tows a big load and has a stack of leaves in the back that just don't give. We are thrilled to no end with our new DP with it's Freightliner air ride..... aaaaaaaah. I can drive for hours without having to look at the cars a quarter mile ahead and yelling "BUMP" every 5 minutes.... when the roads got crappy.

We've had class A, TT, fiver, truck camper.... there is no perfect solution.

Previously a 2017 Forest River, Berkshire 38A, "The Dragonship". https://dragonship.blog/

Consider a used HitchHiker 5th wheel. The company is out of business, but they are pretty good trailer. Go with a HitchHiker, not the HitchHiker II.

Living with an parent in law in any RV would be interesting to say the least. The best of luck to you.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys, I guess waiting for next RV show. as i always just looked at DP. One of the things i learn so far is that just ToyHaulers come with a Generator. (built in). 

Yup an the in-law part is going to be one H of an experience. lol. 

Oscar,  Well now i pay about $620 a month for RV. So if i did go that route, 5th/with a truck, that number is surely going to go up. Trying to talk my other half into trading our new car 2016 for truck. <<<keyword trying. 

I can attest to the quality of DRV.  I am a new owner of a DRV MS 40KSSB4.  I upgraded from a Montana Big Sky (which was Keystone's top of the line 5er).  They are night and day difference.  My trailer is long (42') and heavy (21500 lb GVWR).  You could not tow it with a 3/4 ton.  It would need a minimum of a 1 ton dually and would be more comfortable with a 450/4500 or 550/5500.  I tow with an HDT so no issues there.  They do make shorter models that weigh less, but DRV's are on the heavy side compared to other similar size 5ers.  Quality typically means heavy in the RV world.

As far as generators, I have a built in generator in mine.  It is an option from the factory or can be added after the fact.  A lot of 5ers, especially in the mid  range market, don't install them because they are expensive and the companies are trying to hit a price point.  

When buying a 5er, it is probably best to to find the make/model/floor plan you like and then find a truck capable of pulling it.  Don't make the mistake of buying to small of a truck first and therefore limiting your 5er choices before you know what you want/can live with.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

On 2/27/2017 at 8:10 AM, Al F said:

Consider a used HitchHiker 5th wheel. The company is out of business, but they are pretty good trailer. Go with a HitchHiker, not the HitchHiker II.

Living with an parent in law in any RV would be interesting to say the least. The best of luck to you.

Hitchhiker (NuWa)isn't out of business they just stopped production and now run under Kansas RV. They have a large repair facility that with service all brands, they also sell several brands of RVs. They also sell used Hitchhikers that that have been run through their service.

Denny 

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

You buy a motor home to drive and you get a fiver to park. That was what I was told at Boot Camp about

seven years ago. If you want a bigger and heavier fiver, may I suggest, that you follow the advice from above.

A 250/2500 is not enough truck for almost any fiver that is over 13,000 lbs GVWR. If you go much over that the pin weight and/or

combined weight will be over the suggested limits. Good Luck

We have had both and have traveled with them.  I prefer the MH for travel but the 5r is great to live in.  Financially the 5r makes tons of sense with a truck that can run errands once parked and pull it when attached with only one driveline to service.  A used 5r is less expensive than even a gas rig and if you step into diesel territory then all bets are off.  Our Beaver required more attention maintenance wise and it was more expensive to keep up.  Tires are another item you have to consider as we found them far more expensive than what we keep on the 5r.  Our motorhome was much easier to park when we arrived and it was equipped with every comfort you could ask for.  Our current 5r is a Carriage with lots of room, storage and goodies for the long haul.  It has everything we need including a generator but it is no Beaver.  On the road our little red truck pulls it almost effortlessly climbing hills and flowing with traffic as much as we want to.  We still have a stick and brick so once home the truck allows us to haul landscaping materials, furniture and helping friends move when called upon.  On the road if we have a mechanical issue with the truck it is but a dealership away and parts are plentiful if needed, (None so far).  In the event life deals you a curve and you flunk out of full time or just want a change your assets are not tied up in one vehicle so you have a bit more flexibility.  The more 5r you get the more truck you will need but you can sort that as you go.  We have been talking about a modest toyhauler since my motorcycle habit has been sorely neglected, but that is another matter.  Good luck with your choices and I hope this helps. 

Phil, Carol, Ariel, Grey Lady, SKP# 93039

2009 Carriage Cameo

2016 Ram 2500, CTD, 4X4

With mirth and laughter let old wrinkles come.

http://motojavaphil.blogspot.com/

• 7 months later...

Well let's see where do i start. I held off a bit before actually trading it in. An actually made out in the Deal. My salesman "Hurricane Irma". RV Was just Classified a Total. Now i wait for Insurance Process to Proceed.  Been Looking at a Cougar Ultra Lite 29ft. 5th Wheel.  Next up is  sizing up 5er with Truck. Along with ability to get it into back yard. My Class A was 36.Just about make into back yard because of the Swing an Opening, (Obstructions). 

Check with the dealer about doing some custom ordering of the toy hauler. An RV show is most likely the best place to do this as factory reps are usually on hand .

Something like leaving the drop down bed out and installing a regular Queen bed might work out well Maybe a window or 2.

Archived