mini split install

GlennWest

4 minutes ago, Mntom said:

I don't believe any manufacturer would approve a basement installation. They are adamant about getting the proper air floe through the condenser. I am not sure how you could 'design' a basement compartment for the correct air flow.

What if you had it open behind unit. Pull air up from bottom. Perhaps a duct to floor. I read of a bus with one this way and it is reported as working great. As far as a manufacturer approval my isn't. Don't know of anyone that will install one in an RV.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Done properly it could be put on the side of a unit...kinda where storage compartments are. I've toyed with putting one UNDER my coach...there is a lot of headspace in the rear, and it would fit and be fully surrounded by empty space. But it could be iffy....I'll likly experiment with that at some point.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Another idea was copying a side radiator in a coach.  Using Jack's rig as an example, the area either in front of or in the rear of the axles where he has open storage for sewer connectors and such.  Could enough height be built into the floor level to have a unit there?

On old tow behinds, the wheel wells would extend up into the living area, usually under the dinette or kitchen sink area.  Couldn't an area like that be designed into the side wall area?

I just like the idea of a solid roof with only conduit and recesses for lighting.  The insulation value would be greater, the noise level lower, and greater efficiency to boot.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Jack, I am surprised at how little air it moves. Yes it moves air but not like a standard compressor unit. I am going with blue dot and disc brake install next. Will see about how much space I have left before commuting to a unit up front for bedroom. I want to do this. It could be put in the generator space in a 5ther. Just open door when in use. A duct would have to be installed so it could pull outside air. But also seeing as the fan doesn't turn very fast it does need an open space. Do not believe I need a 12k in bedroom area. But with the way these units work a larger than necessary unit won't hurt like a standard would.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I am sure that there are ways to make it work. The only issue I could see is with the discharge air it would be recirculated into the condenser just like a window shaker with most of the side vents covered. If you had it blowing out hte side, then itprobably would work great. I have always been impressed with the mini-splits. They are a great unit.

VisitedStatesMap.gif

2 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Do not believe I need a 12k in bedroom area. But with the way these units work a larger than necessary unit won't hurt like a standard would.

You would be way oversized with a 9,000 btu unit in the bedroom. You could make it into a meat locker! The only 'problem' I could see with an oversized unit is it would cool the air so fast it would not have the ability to dehumidify and then you would need to watch for sweating walls and things.

VisitedStatesMap.gif

Just now, Mntom said:

You would be way oversized with a 9,000 btu unit in the bedroom. You could make it into a meat locker! The only 'problem' I could see with an oversized unit is it would cool the air so fast it would not have the ability to dehumidify and then you would need to watch for sweating walls and things.

But my unit, can't say for sure about others, will go down to 20% of capacity. Would not this fact cancel out what you stated. I understand on a conventional unit it would not pull down the humidity.

Also the outside unit is quiet. I can only hear it if I go to rear of coach. Even then it is very low level. I was working outside today and went to rear of coach several times to see it it is running still.

Congrats on the meat locker inside, and the quiet outside. Has been a good read, and has me thinking it is time to replace out S&B now 28 year heater and ac unit... I see two or three mini splits in my homes future:)!

Best to you, stay cool:)!

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

1 minute ago, Smitty77_7 said:

Congrats on the meat locker inside, and the quiet outside. Has been a good read, and has me thinking it is time to replace out S&B now 28 year heater and ac unit... I see two or three mini splits in my homes future:)!

Best to you, stay cool:)!

Smitty

Replacing window units with minisplits, or replacing a central unit with minsplits can  cost you more. But IMO they are worth the cost, and allow you to heat or cool an area on-demand. Thus saving you "some" money if heating/cooling is not required in that area.   The Pioneer is a lot cheaper than the Mitsubishi (and there are others). 

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

I would say no.  If it can be read from behind, like a cruiser following you down the highway, then it should be fine.  I have an EZ Tag for tolls on the windshield of the truck.  Somehow they knew I was towing and dinged my account for the trailer last time around Houston.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Jim, do not figure that the Fort Bend County part of the toll roads will pick up the trailer with the truck EZ Tag.  We got a fine fee notice on out trailer tag from Fort Bend.  You have to call the knuckle heads there and they do not work the phones on the weekend.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

On 2/20/2017 at 7:12 AM, Jack Mayer said:

For many reasons - some noted here - I've stayed with 120 volt dryers in my custom rigs. ALMOST did 240 v in this one, but when I did the electrical map, it was cutting things too close. So I stayed with 120v. In the future I will go with full-size equipment (27", not 24") and use a propane gas dryer. Or maybe just stay with the 120v. It takes longer, but we are not doing anything, anyway.

On the mini-split, unless you are revising your entire system I'd stick with the 120v. I'd be inclined to put the exterior unit on a platform at the back. That is easy to do, and although slightly "unsightly" will give it lots of air. And just run the lines up the inside of the cap to the overhead cabinets and put the interior unit there. You lose some storage, but it is easy to mount and you can cover the front for looks. Just an idea. If you do decide to go 240 then do a multi-head unit and drive two interior units with the exterior. There are pros/cons to that approach, of course.

I am in the process of mounting a mini split system on my Mercedes Sprinter Camper. I am a general contractor and have been using Mini splits for years. Only issue I have concern with is mounting the outdoor unit on the rear door just below the roof. Since the door will need to open and close I was considering using a flexible lineset which they are now making. Does anyone have any suggestions or comments?

• 1 month later...

Glenn I like how it turned out. I hit you a couple of times when you first started talking about doing this. If I'm reading and understanding you right. You have inside unit in living area and 1 outside unit. Will you be able to run the bedroom unit off the same outside unit? Great job on fabricating .

2011 CAN-AM Spyder Rt SE5, 2010 Alpine 5th wheel, 1998 Vovlo VNL610

Hopefully 2 years 6 month till full time retirement.

1 hour ago, GlennWest said:

No, don't know of any 2 head units that run on 110 volts. That what I wanted bit could not find

I also do not know of any 2-head  120 volt units.  If anyone finds one please let me know. No issue with doing the 240 volt units, though. as long as you have 50 amp service. 

www.jackdanmayer.com

Mini Split Install in a 5th wheel:

12000 BTU, 110 Volt, 21 SEER, Generator friendly, quiet, 200% more efficient

Condenser installed on a Swagman heavy duty bike rack, inside unit between the small side cabinets, the bottom cabinet still needs to be installed.

IMG_20170521_145946.jpg

IMG_20170523_163100.jpg

IMG_20170523_163443.jpg

Ready for more time going RV'ing.

Archived