Indian Ruins Near Grants, NM

rogo

A few years ago we took a trip west. One of the spots I wanted to visit was an Aztec or Indian site north of Grants, NM [NOT ACOMA PUEBLO]. I can't remember the name of the site, but it was remote, and required 4WD to access. As it turned out, we were unable to get to that area and my notes were discarded. We're trying the trip again and I have looked hard on my excellent computer maps, but cannot find it.

Perhaps old age has affected my mind more than I thot', but does this ring a bell with anyone?

Thank you very much,

Ron

Chaco Canyon NP.

Just don't try to access the park from the south (Grants, NM).

From ABQ, NM take US-550 north and follow the directions given on the NP website:

From the northeast, turn off US 550 at CR 7900--3 miles southeast of Nageezi and approximately 50 miles west of Cuba (at mile 112.5). This route is clearly signed from US 550 to the park boundary (21 miles). The route includes 8 miles of paved road (CR 7900 & CR7950) and 13 miles of rough dirt road (CR7950). The 4 1/2 miles before entering the park are very rough.

in October 2016, we took the recommended route into the park in our 29' Class A towing a small P/U without a problem. Yes the last 6 miles was very rough, but very doable as long as you drive at 5-10mph AND the road is dry. The first 7 miles of gravel road was in very good condition when we were there.

We really enjoyed the park and spent 5 nights there exploring the trails and ruins. Go in the fall when it typically dry. Winter is very cold, summer very hot, spring will have changing weather and greater chance of rain.

From more driving info search this forum for "Chaco Canyon". There is recent discussion about driving into the park.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Archived