MDT to tow 24k GVWR Teton

leavingsoon

Confessions from a real user and a slow learner.

After three pickups and couple hundred thousand miles of RVing with those pickups absolutely was "ready for an upgrade" to an MDT. Got Cabriolet conversion to an MDT. 5.7L in line six Cummins in line with Allison tranny.

KUY1cH0l.jpg

Very nice and comfortable interior (with a real sleeper) nice ride (F-350 chassis). The thing was a friggin' dog up hills. It wasn't even a dog it was a slow dog with emphysema. Brakes needed constant rebuilding, after all, they were just one ton pickup brakes. Time to do something about it, get a "real MDT".

1aJpqGEl.jpg

bD6m0lhl.jpg

Real pretty, had real (good) MDT brakes, 7.2L International V-8, Allison tranny. WOW! Hooked it up, first hill discovered that this thing had COPD, down to 40-45 mph! And that was with a 36 foot trailer. On top of that with Class 6 stiff suspension the ride was horrible. Kept it for 4 years decided to go to a larger trailer, had visions of not being able to get around Amish buggies up hills. Time to solve the problem.

MaB8izCl.jpg

Problem solved.

Most MDT owners will not tell you this. Wounded pride? Overpaying for mistake? Not studying the decision thoroughly? Critical wife? Etc. With a 24K GVWR fifth don't screw around with an MDT, unless you find M2-112 with a big diesel, it's either that or an HDT.

Henry,

Glad to see you have not lost your sense of humor!  I to went from a 2000 ford PSD to a 2005 M2-106 300 HP Cat  c-7 motor. Was a little better than the Ford pulling but not much and the ride was horrible. The wife HAD to use her seat belt or it would throw her out of the seat. This was pulling a 13000 # trailer. Then I went to the other side with the Volvo and would never go back. There, I admit  I made a mistake!!!

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys.... I appreciate all the comments and tips. I guess sometimes you don't know what you want/need until you learn what you don't want/need first.

As of yet I still have not even tried my "new to me" truck. It is still at the fabrication shop having a hauler bed built (job changes have delayed the need for the completion of the truck). Lord willing I will be picking it up in the next few weeks and before summer's end I will have an actual towing experience to evaluate. If it turns out the truck is not going to meet my needs I guess I will consider it one more mistake in my long list of lessons learned the hard way :)

I'm hoping that since we only need the truck to relocate the 5th wheel RV trailer every now and then that it will be sufficient for us at this time. And if in the years to follow find ourselves actually traveling more I suspect I will be more anxious to move up to one of the big boys.

I will keep you posted on what we learn as the next couple of months pass.

2000 American Coach Heritage 45' motorhome

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I was fortunate to start with an HDT.  I was also fortunate to have Henry counsel me at the 2011 Spring Escapee Rally held at the fairgrounds in Goshen, IN.  We Had already decided on a new 2011 Dodge 3500 and a 42 ft Forest River XLR when we walked by Henry’s Royals International and stopped to talk (He was recruiting for the Heavy Hauler BOF).  Henry took the time to review and discuss our decision and share some sage advice.  His advice was to look very closely at the foundation and build of the Forest River XLR (or any rig we were considering) and to seriously consider an HDT along with a higher quality used 5’ver.  We listened and ended up with what we are still full-timing in today.

Thanks, Henry!!

Mike & Joan
2006 Volvo 780
2008 KZ Escalade Sportster 41CKS
2001 Honda XR650R
2018 Kymco Spade 150

• 1 month later...

Our MDT is buttery smooth..and great gas mileage.. around 12 ish... really impressed with it on our trip south..but I would think you woud need something stronger like a 112 or go class 8.

A word of caution..even with the RV parks we are in.. a class 8 is big..and at home, too big. .. you have to decide where you want to park..or how you want to RV..

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

. Beagle co-pilots - Faffy and Lulu

Archived