How are HDT RV Haulers perceived at campsites or RV resorts?

The Few

Had a few folks make a comment that we must be loaded(could not be further from the truth). They were in a brand new 38' Class c with 3 slides and bunk beds. Asked them how much it cost, they replied and I told them my truck and trailer was only $15k more than that. The husband looked quite mad. I think he realized they over spent for their little match box.

Every park gets a call and are told we have a 45' 5th wheel and an HDT, no one has said no yet. but when we show up they usually say "wow, you really are big". Well mama as I said on the phone we are 67' OAL. If its an issue I can park the truck else where after dropping the trailer.

2016 Road Warrior 420

2001 Volvo VNL 660

Alaska Based.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My PU truck is perfect for my little 27ft fifth wheel but I have seen some of these huge 5Ws with triple axles being pulled by F350s and always thought it didn't look like enough truck for such a big camper.

I think the HDTs are pretty awesome for the larger 5W trailers and would love to see what one drives like some day so hope to run into some of you one day for a quick ride :D

2007 Keystone Springdale 245 FWRLL-S (modified)

2000 F-250 7.3L SRW

Cody and Kye, border collie extraordinaires

Latest departure date: 10/1/2017

Find us at www.nomadicpawprints.wordpress.com

DuneElliot, on 08 Feb 2017 - 11:51 AM, said:

My PU truck is perfect for my little 27ft fifth wheel but I have seen some of these huge 5Ws with triple axles being pulled by F350s and always thought it didn't look like enough truck for such a big camper.

I think the HDTs are pretty awesome for the larger 5W trailers and would love to see what one drives like some day so hope to run into some of you one day for a quick ride :D

Drop in for an hour or a week at one of the HDT rallies and you will find a lot of people that would let you take a test drive after a bit of instruction. If you happen to see any of us set up somewhere, walk up and ask, most of the people here would be more than willing to give you a ride at the minimum.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Drop in for an hour or a week at one of the HDT rallies and you will find a lot of people that would let you take a test drive after a bit of instruction. If you happen to see any of us set up somewhere, walk up and ask, most of the people here would be more than willing to give you a ride at the minimum.

Hmmm, interesting, A kenworth HDT RV hauler.. ( and a new one I might add)!!

You own a Kenworth T680 amongst a biased group of Volvo's owners, as your weapon of choice..

How do you like it as an HDT RV hauler, and what propositioned you to fly against the winds of the common minds?? LOL

The Few

Had a few folks make a comment that we must be loaded(could not be further from the truth). They were in a brand new 38' Class c with 3 slides and bunk beds. Asked them how much it cost, they replied and I told them my truck and trailer was only $15k more than that. The husband looked quite mad. I think he realized they over spent for their little match box.

Every park gets a call and are told we have a 45' 5th wheel and an HDT, no one has said no yet. but when we show up they usually say "wow, you really are big". Well mama as I said on the phone we are 67' OAL. If its an issue I can park the truck else where after dropping the trailer.

Were you prior Military, stemming from your location??

I have spent a winter and a summer in Alaska for Military training myself, and I have to say that Alaska is without a doubt one of the most beautiful places I have ever been, and I have been to plenty of places, including Russia..

Spent a day is Seward, Delta Junction, Anchorage, Fairbanks, and a few other places out in the middle of nowhere!

The only thing that got my attention, were the wild Wolves, Moose, Bears, and Hell's Angel's...

But I can definitely see myself with a HDT RV Hauler and a Toy hauler in Alaska.. In fact, it is on my bucket list!!

The Few

I think you are right,

HDT RV haulers are pretty cool!

The Few

Most folks are curious and ask, tongue firmly planted in cheek, if we’re sure we have enough truck. Only once has a troll emerged, who left an anonymous note declaring the truck an eyesore. The RV park owner cried balderdash, figured out who the culprit was, and quieted her down. Final verdict: she’s the RV park “lot lizzard.”

Otherwise, the truck has been a conversation starter in about every park we’ve landed. And loading/unloading the Smart has been great theater, as have my efforts to maneuver the rig in tight settings. Still working on that.

What is a lot lizard?

Are they dangerous, or do they pose a threat??

The Few

The Few, on 08 Feb 2017 - 9:22 PM, said:The Few, on 08 Feb 2017 - 9:22 PM, said:

Hmmm, interesting, A kenworth HDT RV hauler.. ( and a new one I might add)!!

You own a Kenworth T680 amongst a biased group of Volvo's owners, as your weapon of choice..

How do you like it as an HDT RV hauler, and what propositioned you to fly against the winds of the common minds?? LOL

Well,

Personal preference played a large part in the decision. I liked the exterior and interior looks of the Kenworth and it could be ordered with the gauge packages that I wanted. Add to that a helpful KW engineer on the board (scrap) and it was an easy choice. We drove a Volvo and didn't like the available passenger room or the looks and it reminded me of driving dad's Lincoln. It had a floating feel on the road. Next stop was Freightliner (we had a M2-112 at that time) and I still like the detroit engine and DT12 tranny (and shifter) but the interior was still all Freightliner. Nothing wrong with it but they still remind me of a Ford or Chevy of the trucking world. I will admit that the Detroit.DT12 combo is the only OEM combo that I like.

We then went to see a Pete but weren't impressed with the low headroom over the driver seats in the new, integrated cab version. That brought us to the Kenworth dealer and the first time we sat down in the cab, it felt like home. With scrap's help, we optioned out a very nice truck that will take me a few years to completely wire in all of the options this rig has. I have had several people drive the truck and it opened their eyes on how quiet and smooth it is and how it has such a different feel on the road (think high end sports car) compared to the others. If you would like to see a video of it, Greg Shields posted one on his site that we made at Hutch this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmpON_oAK4M&t=578s

As much as it might pain him to admit it, Greg had a grin on his face driving it down the road. :D

2017 Kenworth T680
2016 Smart Prime

Lot Lizard

Not a term I'd heard used that way. Based on how I heard the term used, I took it to mean someone who mangles a community's life with dysfunctional behavior, i.e., gossip, backbiting, and such.

2001 Volvo 610 HDT with Smart Car bed and ET Junior hitch

2007 New Horizons Summit 38

2013 Smart for Two

2012 Easy Racer Tour Easy recumbent bicycle

"There is no path. Paths are made by walking." – Spanish poet Antonio Machado

As much as it might pain him to admit it, Greg had a grin on his driving it down the road. :D

Dave's KW is exceptionally nice. And in general the T680 is a very nice truck and makes a great RV Hauler. It would be one of my top choices. My personal choice is the 780,mainly because I know Volvo's well, the space and storage inside is exceptional, and they are more common than the T680 in the configuration I like (no Paccar engine).

But if I was buying new, it would be hard to choose between them. You certainly cannot fault what you see in that RV Hauler.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Were you prior Military, stemming from your location??

I have spent a winter and a summer in Alaska for Military training myself, and I have to say that Alaska is without a doubt one of the most beautiful places I have ever been, and I have been to plenty of places, including Russia..

Spent a day is Seward, Delta Junction, Anchorage, Fairbanks, and a few other places out in the middle of nowhere!

The only thing that got my attention, were the wild Wolves, Moose, Bears, and Hell's Angel's...

But I can definitely see myself with a HDT RV Hauler and a Toy hauler in Alaska.. In fact, it is on my bucket list!!

Born here, went to school "outside" came home after graduation. spent some time in the USCG Reserves and a few years as FSO-OP of the local USCG aux. also put in some time in the state Militia but was not impressed. 2 years as a Deputy Sheriff in Clark County Washington while finishing school. Been to every Military base in state thou, worked as private security out on Shemya for a while too. Also worked as an armed contractor for FPS under the D.H.S. Now I am just a Telecom Tech/Engineer who designs and maintains power systems(Battery plants, Generators and UPS). And on an 8 year retirement plan. Planning to retire once the youngest graduates high school.

but that's all OT. We have only stayed at 1 RV park in Alaska with out HDT. Most of our usage is boon docking while hunting, camping, atving or snow machining.

2016 Road Warrior 420

2001 Volvo VNL 660

Alaska Based.

I find people are usually very nice. They are always asking how we get the car up on the truck and if I am a truck driver, some ask how much the setup cost. I never answer that question. I even get a lot of questions from truckers when fueling up. Lots of pictures taken and I try my best to answer all questions with a smile.

Well,

Personal preference played a large part in the decision. I liked the exterior and interior looks of the Kenworth and it could be ordered with the gauge packages that I wanted. Add to that a helpful KW engineer on the board (scrap) and it was an easy choice. We drove a Volvo and didn't like the available passenger room or the looks and it reminded me of driving dad's Lincoln. It had a floating feel on the road. Next stop was Freightliner (we had a M2-112 at that time) and I still like the detroit engine and DT12 tranny (and shifter) but the interior was still all Freightliner. Nothing wrong with it but they still remind me of a Ford or Chevy of the trucking world. I will admit that the Detroit.DT12 combo is the only OEM combo that I like.

We then went to see a Pete but weren't impressed with the low headroom over the driver seats in the new, integrated cab version. That brought us to the Kenworth dealer and the first time we sat down in the cab, it felt like home. With scrap's help, we optioned out a very nice truck that will take me a few years to completely wire in all of the options this rig has. I have had several people drive the truck and it opened their eyes on how quiet and smooth it is and how it has such a different feel on the road (think high end sports car) compared to the others. If you would like to see a video of it, Greg Shields posted one on his site that we made at Hutch this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmpON_oAK4M&t=578s

As much as it might pain him to admit it, Greg had a grin on his face driving it down the road. :D

What drive line do you have in the KW. I never got back over to get a close look in Tampa. I am like you when it comes to the Volvo and the Freightliner, that's why we went with the Western Star. The WS is about as old school as you can get when it comes to looks but the ride and quite cab along with the straight Detriot drive and electronics are the main reasons we went with it. I love the DT 12 tranny in it.

2016 Western Star 5700xe (Pathfinder) DD15 555hp

w/12 speed automatic 3:05 diffs

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

2 Great Danes

We have a Cummins ISX 15 set at 500HP and 1650 torque with an Eaton 13 speed Ultrashift Plus combo. Like you have noted, all of the new trannies are top notch.

Is the Eaton comparable to the DT12 in respect to function? I.E. Creep mode, auto coast, and does KW have the adaptive cruise? I ask because I really did like the cab and instrument setup in your new truck.

2 Great Danes

Yes, creep mode is available and the 2017's will have terrain adaptive cruise (looks ahead using GPS to see if it needs to speed up/slow down) as well as adaptive cruise that will follow the vehicle in front of you. Eco coast is also available.

Some of the options are for Paccar engines for 2017 but are supposed to be available for Cummins engines next year. Scrap has also tested the new 10 speed Allison and thinks that would be a winner for us "old farts".

2017 Kenworth T680
2016 Smart Prime

Yes, creep mode is available and the 2017's will have terrain adaptive cruise (looks ahead using GPS to see if it needs to speed up/slow down) as well as adaptive cruise that will follow the vehicle in front of you. Eco coast is also available.

Some of the options are for Paccar engines for 2017 but are supposed to be available for Cummins engines next year. Scrap has also tested the new 10 speed Allison and thinks that would be a winner for us "old farts".

Very interesting! This has been our first real trip driving the new WS I think so far we have traveled around 4,200 miles and I have to say the adaptive cruise with the front looking radar has to be hands down my favorite thing about the new truck. The ability to hit the center lane and cruise through Atlanta at midday and never hit the brakes or the accelerator unless it is an emergency was really nice. We travel at about 64 mph which is 1275 RPMs and through the strectches of I 20 from Columbia, SC to Vicksburg, MS where the terrain is hilly we averaged 8.3 mpg which matches my Ford on the level. The auto coast mode still freaks me out though! It is so smooth you don't even feel the shift to neutral or the shift back to 12th, it just gets completely quite all the sudden when it drops to 600 rpm's.

We are already looking at the 2018's and making a few changes to our current 2016. I think I will order a little longer wheel base, 82" stratos sleeper, and most important I am going to the 2:41 or the 2:64 diffs instead of the 3:08

2 Great Danes

• 2 weeks later...

Recently had a bad experience in Austin, Texas at Royal Palms RV Resort (The resort part might be an over-statement). I called weeks in advance and explained what I would be driving (a 2010 Volvo 630 with a 2016 Cedar Creek fifth wheel) and included a picture of the rig and trailer. The staffer told me no problem as they currently have a Peterbilt show hauler in the resort. We prepaid for our stay and drove 1200 miles to our reserved spot. Upon arrival, as we were checking in, the owner came in and asked who owned the commercial vehicle pulling the camper, and told us we couldn't stay there. I explained the motorhome registration, plates, non-commercial use and the fact that we had sent pics and prepaid before leaving. He went on to make multiple ridiculous claims why we couldn't stay......too heavy....wrong! A Peterbilt was parked in his "resort" 50ft away. He claimed that no matter what it was still a commercial truck.....wrong! I tried to calmly reason with him because we had no other alternative to go to. I produced the registration, etc. No dice. Sorry you drove 1200 miles but you are out of luck. So despite doing all we could to explain why we do what we do and drive a giant truck, everyone is not going to get it. Please include Royal Palms as a Heavy Hauler unfriendly park but there are many more who understand what we're doing and are happy to take our money.

Yes, MrSeas, it is kinda in play. I thought we had really done our due diligence in explaining and even sending pictures prior to booking the site as to what we were bringing to their park. I understand that every owner has the right to decide what they will accept and had they told me prior to departure, I would gladly move on to somewhere else. When I explained to the owner the conversation with his staff and the pics, he said they had no right to accept my reservation. What????? Isn't that what they do? In the 30 minutes I spent at their resort, I could point out an example of a violation of every one of their published rules.

Archived