Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and the whole RVing. My husband and I are moving to Austin, TX this year, and we're planning to be a full time RVer. We already signed up for the Escapee Mail Service so we have that address also. I have some questions that you guys might be able to help with:

1. Can I use the Escapee Mail Service to get our driver's license, pay taxes, and get the license plates for our 2 vehicles and RV?

2. When it comes to domicile, should I/can I make Austin our city instead of Livingston?

Thanks a lot in advance!

-Stephanie

Update: We've successfully became Texans! :) Thank you all for your help and guidance.

Confusing ...you will be fulltime RVing, but stationary in Austin??? If you are truly tarveling fullltime, the Livingston address will work very well for license, registration, etc which you will go to Livingston to accomplish (at least the first time). If you are in Austin most of the time, there is no reason not to get your license, registration, etc there. You can still use the mail service when you are traveling.

We used the mail service while traveling fulltime for 7-8 years. Then after we bought a home base in another Texas county we registered our vehicles and transferred our license, etc there. When we are traveling we forward our local mail to our Escapees address and email Escapees Mail Service where we want the mail forwarded to.

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

Confusing ...you will be fulltime RVing, but stationary in Austin??? If you are truly tarveling fullltime, the Livingston address will work very well for license, registration, etc which you will go to Livingston to accomplish (at least the first time). If you are in Austin most of the time, there is no reason not to get your license, registration, etc there. You can still use the mail service when you are traveling.

We used the mail service while traveling fulltime for 7-8 years. Then after we bought a home base in another Texas county we registered our vehicles and transferred our license, etc there. When we are traveling we forward our local mail to our Escapees address and email Escapees Mail Service where we want the mail forwarded to.

Thanks for the reply. We will be living full time in the RV in Austin. That means we won't have an official address so to say because we'll be moving around from campgrounds to campgrounds in Austin.

Stephanie

Things to consider about Austin ...

Not sure where you are coming from and how familiar you are with the area

• Travis County (Austin) is an emissions county, which means that if you register your vehicle(s) in Austin then you will have to have your inspections done in an emissions county and be subject to emissions testing. (Diesel engines are exempt)
  • Voting might be an issue - you will need to look into that as far as absentee ballots and still being in the state.
  • Traffic in Austin sucks big time. So if you have to travel to work daily you may want to be very picky about where you stay. The closer to town the more expensive. And its not limited to just the weekdays. Yesterday (Sunday) there was an accident on I35 and made I35 a parking lot North and South throughout much of the afternoon.
  • It gets hot in Austin in the summer and the days are long so you need to understand that it may be hard for RV HVAC to keep up - meaning electricity included would be something you should consider.

I would consider doing your registration and licensing Address in Livingston, then, when it comes to vehicle inspections you can go anywhere in the state to get your inspection. (and I would go a little south to Hays county to get your annual inspection).

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

Thank you Kirk for the voting suggestion.

Thank you Trey and Susan for all the advice. We know about the traffic problem in Austin. Currently, we are moving there because of work. We're dreaming to one day be able to work from home/RV :) We can't be picky with our living spot right now because Austin RV parks are full for the next few months so we're having to grab whatever spots open up. Kind of a hassle and an adventure at the same time.

Archived