Our new 2017 DRV MS 40KSSB4

Chad Heiser

Looks good Chad.......What type and size of screws are you using on the brackets that hold the panels down? What size of wire did you use from the combiner box to charge controller?

I'm using 1"X1/4" zinc played screws. They come with the smart feet mounts from rvsolarconnection.com that I have for you.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks great. What are you using to secure the panels. I see adhesive on the boxes. What are you going to do with the extra power you will be generating? I will be following your use of solar and the good, bad and the unexpected.

Rod

The panels are being mounted with 6 smart feet per panel (3 on each side). The smart feet come from rvsolarconnection.com and come with all the necessary mounting hardware. They also offer a foot mount with a larger base and 3M adhesive pre-installed if you have a fiberglass or metal roof.

2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)

event.png    

Chad, you must be as pale as a ghost. It really must suck having to work inside such a large insulated building. How can you see in there? If you would work outside like the rest of us you would be able to use the natural sunlight which could help you see and add to your tan.

But, considering you are forced to work inside, it is a very nice install. I'm enjoying the updates.

I know I am spoiled working in my shop. I really had to rough it at Rolling Retreats when I installed the batteries and other items with the trailer sitting outside. ;)

event.png    

Chad: The solar panels look huge (and heavy). How did you get them up on the roof?

Jack was correct, the panels weigh about 50 pounds each. I carried them up to the roof on my Little Giant ladder. It is very sturdy and stable sitting on the concrete floor. It was a little awkward carrying them up the ladder, but I made it work.

event.png    

Chad, I see three wires entering the combiner...so you have three strings of two each, parallel (2x3 array)? If you do then you will lose most of one string when you shadow it. It will be interesting to see how much you lose on that.

Refuzn, those panels are around 50 lbs, so you can slide them up a ladder pretty easy. The biggest thing to watch for with the larger panels is to properly support them midway down their length. They can flex there and over time it "may" cause an issue.

For mounting, if you have a well adhered fiberglass roof - especially if it is laminated - then you can simply use adhesive. But in most cases a combo of adhesive and one or two screws per leg is enough. Each situation is different, though.

Nice job, by the way..... :)

Yes I am running them in 2/3 strings. I realize I will loose the shaded string, but it should only really be shaded if the satellite dish is up and then also the sun is at the correct angle. In a boondocking situation I can mitigate this by parking the trailer in the correct orientation. Also we don't watch a lot of TV during the day, so I don't have to put the antenna up if we don't need it. That will also help.

As I mentioned above, each panel has six mounting feet, so the will be supported at the corners and in the center of the long sides. They should be very stable.

And thanks for the compliment.

event.png    

I finished the solar panel install this afternoon. It was a bit disconcerting putting 36 new holes in my brand new trailer roof, but all went well and all the solar panel mounts are well sealed in self leveling Dicor. Here are some pictures:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BypMhjRfrAf1LUJHUFFIdHNyM3c

event.png    

I have to ask, Why are the air conditioners black?

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

What an immaculate install!

Looking at the panels I sure hope I measured my roof correctly. Not having the bedroom fan really opened up the space for the panels.

Tim & Cheryl
2015 Mobile Suites 39 TKSB3
2009 Volvo 670 D13 I-Shift  “Walter”

Happily Living Somewhere In Nevada

649EF470-4F2A-4D47-8AB9-AFD3462E24F4.jpeg

Chad.... that looks great! I can see why those adjustable mounts work so good to deal with slight slope on the roof. Did you also use screw down zip ties and dicor to hold down the cable? Glad I will have some expert help at the WCR when I install the two extra panels. ;):)

I have to ask, Why are the air conditioners black?

That is just the way they came from DRV. I assume it is to match the paint scheme, but I don't have a better answer than that.

What an immaculate install!

Looking at the panels I sure hope I measured my roof correctly. Not having the bedroom fan really opened up the space for the panels.

Thanks. We will do our best to get all the panels up on your roof. Do you have vent covers over your vents? It made a fairly significant difference in the width of my vents with the MaxxAirII's installed.

Chad.... that looks great! I can see why those adjustable mounts work so good to deal with slight slope on the roof. Did you also use screw down zip ties and dicor to hold down the cable? Glad I will have some expert help at the WCR when I install the two extra panels. ;):)

Thanks, the adjustable feet worked great to follow the natural curve of the roof. I used some zip tie cradles that can be screwed down, but I chose to just Dicor them down for now. I will see if that holds well enough. I can always add screws later, but I wanted to minimize the roof penetrations for now.

I didn't realize you intended to install your panels at the WCR. I will make sure to bring some tools and other stuff to get it done.

Very nice job, looks great.

Thanks for the compliment. I am very happy with how it came out.

event.png    

Thanks. We will do our best to get all the panels up on your roof. Do you have vent covers over your vents? It made a fairly significant difference in the width of my vents with the MaxxAirII's installed.

Nope, just the stock Max Fans

Tim & Cheryl
2015 Mobile Suites 39 TKSB3
2009 Volvo 670 D13 I-Shift  “Walter”

Happily Living Somewhere In Nevada

649EF470-4F2A-4D47-8AB9-AFD3462E24F4.jpeg

I don't think we'll need any tools....santa brought me a solar panel tool kit with cutters/crimpers/stippers and MC4 tools in it. I'm just not sure about the PT-100 yet as it really isn't programmable to specific settings. Just seems to have dip switch settings to their generic numbers. The fan is also a concern being that is new to the market and not proven in a mobile application yet. I will probably have the Morningstar MPPT 60 for sale at the swap meet. :)

I don't think we'll need any tools....santa brought me a solar panel tool kit with cutters/crimpers/stippers and MC4 tools in it. I'm just not sure about the PT-100 yet as it really isn't programmable to specific settings. Just seems to have dip switch settings to their generic numbers. The fan is also a concern being that is new to the market and not proven in a mobile application yet. I will probably have the Morningstar MPPT 60 for sale at the swap meet. :)

I don't remember if you have an inverter or not, but if you have a Magnum with the ME-ARC50 remote, you can set up all kinds of stuff on the PT-100.

event.png    

Holding wires to the roof:

The best way to attach wires to the roof, IMO, is to put them in puddles of adhesive caulk appropriate for your roof type. Bed them in a 4-5" puddle. Hold them down into the puddle with tape on either side while the caulk dries, then remove the tape. Once dry, put some more over the top. They will not move if the roof was clean. There is zero reason to penetrate the roof for this. I've attached literally thousands of wires in this fashion. They are not going anywhere. If you are obsessed with holding them down, use a piece of Eternabond instead of caulk. A 4-5" length will work fine.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Holding wires to the roof:

The best way to attach wires to the roof, IMO, is to put them in puddles of adhesive caulk appropriate for your roof type. Bed them in a 4-5" puddle. Hold them down into the puddle with tape on either side while the caulk dries, then remove the tape. Once dry, put some more over the top. They will not move if the roof was clean. There is zero reason to penetrate the roof for this. I've attached literally thousands of wires in this fashion. They are not going anywhere. If you are obsessed with holding them down, use a piece of Eternabond instead of caulk. A 4-5" length will work fine.

This is the way I did mine 5 years ago and stay are still where we set them down.

I have the Magnum MS2012 / ME-ARC / ME-AGS / ME-BMK. Where did you purchase your PT-100 from?

Rick, you need a firmware update on your remote since they didn't produce the PT100 at that time. Once that is done, you should see a new menu for the PT Controller.

Looks good Chad! Not wasting any time getting set up.

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

Yeah...the one thing about the Magnum stuff is that the inverter and remote can't be firmware upgraded without removing them and shipping them back. I guess not so bad for my southern friends but very costly for us. Where did you guys buy your PT-100's ?

Does the PT-100 require the inverter to be turned on to function? Also, my ME-ARC is revision 2.3 which can't be upgraded so I will have to purchase a new one. Also, a little concerned that my parallel array may be to close to the 24v minimum value in warm conditions required by the PT-100. Will have 5 x 235 watt panels. If it drops below 24v the PT-100 shuts off completely.

Nominal Battery MPPT Voltage Range High Voc Range Max PV Input
Bank Voltage Lower Vmp Upper Vmp Voltage level
Level Level 12V 24 VDC 187 VDC 188 - 210 VDC ≥211 VDC

Does the PT-100 require the inverter to be turned on to function? Also, my ME-ARC is revision 2.3 which can't be upgraded so I will have to purchase a new one. Also, a little concerned that my parallel array may be to close to the 24v minimum value in warm conditions required by the PT-100. Will have 5 x 235 watt panels. If it drops below 24v the PT-100 shuts off completely.

Nominal Battery MPPT Voltage Range High Voc Range Max PV InputBank Voltage Lower Vmp Upper Vmp Voltage level

Level Level 12V 24 VDC 187 VDC 188 - 210 VDC ≥211 VDC

The PT-100 does not require the inverter to be on to function. With the new revision of the ME-ARC (version 4.0 or later), you have full control of the PT-100. There are settings that allow you to tie the PT-100 charge characteristics to the inverter's so they don't fight each other, but you can also set them individually if you want.

I bought my PT-100 from iMarineUSA.com. They seem to have the best prices on Magnum equipment that I can find.

I would call Magnum technical support about running 5 of these panels in parallel. I didn't specifically ask them that question when I talked to them. I asked about 6 in parallel and was told there was a chance of overpowering the controller. They did tell me six in series/parallel was ok though.

event.png    

Looks good Chad! Not wasting any time getting set up.

Thanks. I wanted to get mine done because I'm doing another install this weekend and we have a trip planned at the end of the month. I still need to load all my stuff from the old trailer into the new trailer too. Right now it's all piled on the floor behind the trailer in the shop.

event.png    

Chad... talked to Darren in tech support this morning. No problem with the amperage of five panels in parallel but voltage rating of the panels may drop below the 24V minimum of the PT-100 and not charge at all. Series parallel setup would work better but only for even number of panels.

On 3/7/2017 at 9:21 PM, RickS said:

Chad... talked to Darren in tech support this morning. No problem with the amperage of five panels in parallel but voltage rating of the panels may drop below the 24V minimum of the PT-100 and not charge at all. Series parallel setup would work better but only for even number of panels.

Can you fit a sixth panel on your roof?

event.png    

We went through some various iterations of possible panel positions on my buddies trailer today.  We intended to put six panels on the roof, but after actually placing a cutout around on the roof it didn't look like we could do it.  Then we started getting creative.  We covered one vent with a panel and moved his wifi ranger box.  We also hung two panels a couple of inches over the edge of the roof, but still inside the slide toppers.  When we did this, we were able to get all six panels to fit.  Maybe there are some tweaks you could to to get six to fit on your roof to?

On 3/9/2017 at 11:07 AM, RickS said:

No can't do 6 but may just stay with 4 instead of 5 and use the Morningstar MPPT 60 in a series/parallel connection. Really want to use more but may have to look at some other options.

event.png    

Archived