One less attraction to see

bruce t

As old as the tree was, even trees do not live forever. There are pictures of the tree before that drive through hole was made and most of the opening was there naturally so while there probably was more damage in making that opening, chances are that it wasn't totally responsible. My grandmother had her picture taken standing in front of their car while parked in the tree, back in the early 50's. But this is not the first famous tree that I have seen die as they do have a limited lifespan, just some live longer depending upon the variety.

There have been several other trees in CA that one could drive through and several of them still exist today.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We have hiked many miles through the various redwood groves. It's a very humbling experience. A place where you don't talk but simply whisper.

The reality is that these things do happen. But none the less it's still a sad occasion. Back around 1999 we were hiking one trail when one huge tree fell over just a hundred yards behind us. Made one heck of a noise. Inspection showed no root damage. My guess is that gravity simply took over and the roots simply weren't enough to hold it up any longer.

The same will happen in other places. Some of the famous arches in Arches NP have fallen. So the only solution is to hit the road and see as much as possible while it's still possible!!

regards

It's sad when little parts of a tourist attraction are gone for good. Altho i never saw the tree, i do remember when i was a youngster , parents took us kids to see the man in the mountain . Went back as an adult before it was, an then after. Atleast we have the memories from when we do visit something like this. That my Friends can not be destroyed.

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

Just because something happened to change it's angle of presence doesn't mean it's gone . It's still a piece of reality . It likely won't disintegrate anytime soon , so you all have plenty of time to visit the tree and encounter it like was never before possible .

Everything changes , ALWAYS .

It is a good thing .

Goes around , comes around .

I'm not sure if I drove through that exact tree, but I have a photo of my 1989 Celica coming through one of the Drive Through trees in California. Sad that one has fallen.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

we missed seeing The Old Man of the Mountain in New Hampshire by a few months, since it collapsed before we got there. These things do not last forever, so be thankful if you have memories of them. I still remember Mount Saint Helens before it blew up and am glad for the memory.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

We have great photos of Delicate Arch before its collapse in Arches Nat'l Park. It was a beauty at around 40' tall. Nature is not permanent.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10210728368540895&set=gm.748918188597491&type=3

Found my photo from 1989 or 90 driving through a Redwood. Don't think it's the same tree that fell. Zoom in on the photo and it says Chandelier

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

A really "smart" comment from an "equally smart" individual. I don't know if your parents ever told you this but let me. "Just because you think it, it doesn't mean you have to say it.

He can say it all he likes - no basis in fact - It's just a 2nd place Texas Paper Tiger -vs- CA "thing" by the un-informed.

From the mountains to the ocean to the desert - I'll take CA anytime!

However, *IF* it is "falling to pieces" (did it drop to 8th largest economy in the world, or?) - please tell your friends, acquaintances and kin who may have moved here making it the most populous state in the US - to hurry and return to "wherever"!.

Makes more campsites available, and we thank you.

Sorry, but I was raised to a different standard. I've never lived in California but 25 years ago when my wife and I were married we honeymooned in San Francisco and took the train ride to Merced and a bus into Yosemite. A great vacation/honeymoon and I find it hard to disparage an entire state that holds so much of our nation's history and natural attractions. Free speech isn't free and while he has the right to comment negatively about something I have the same right to offer a dissenting opinion. We've traveled all around the deep south of this country and found many wonderful places to visit and people to meet but I wouldn't disrespect a city, county or state because of some perceived prejudice I personally had. That's just my opinion and of course, I could be wrong. Thanks for listening.

Maybe he was joking and maybe he wasn't. If he was he ain't good at it and like me he needs to keep his day job like me or we may both starve to death doing comedy :blink::lol:

I don't know about that starving to death part . I'd think you could stay alive eating the fruit that people threw at you . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

Ironically if they threw grapefruit it could cause me to OD on my blood pressure med. I can sometimes slip just a little in late in the day but I have to watch the timing and the portion. I got careless some years ago while at SKP park in Bushnell and nearly did myself in. I hate it because I really love grapefruit. Now that I am on warfarin I have to watch out for cranberries. If I get on to much more meds. I may not have anything that I can safely eat.

missed seeing that one by a year. saw the fallen rocks of what was"Old man of the Mountain".. Nothing last forever. Missed seeing this site by 4 yrs.. hope to see the others if possible.

At a thousand years old, the tree had a good run. The rain from the storm was equally beneficial to the drought in California. I remember in 2003 when New Hampshire lost its Old Man of the Mountain profile due to its' weather. Sadly, nothing lasts forever.

2005 Airstream Classic 31D , pulled with a 2003 F-250 7.3L, CrewCab with a Propride hitch for stability.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived