Verizon going after high usage users again

I find it difficult to defend 200GB/month users. That said, I would prefer they throttle rather than kick them off the plan.

Streaming 4K video, playing online games, etc, are now common activities that home users do without thinking. Some people working at home need to move massive amounts of data for their work, drawings, etc. Verizon sold those plans as unlimited, so users are treating them that way. Many of these users are not thinking about what they are using, they are just doing what others are doing with wired connections.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)
Ā 

I find it difficult to defend 200GB/month users. That said, I would prefer they throttle rather than kick them off the plan.

Ā 

I agree. I fear that they will kill the goose that laid the golden egg for the rest of us! I'm going to go over 30GB this month. I think that's a new high for us.

Our "Here and There" Blog

Ā 

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

Ā 

We've been covering the story since Tuesday evening, when the leaks broke. Here's our article about it which we'll keep updated:

Breaking News: Verizon Aggressively Moves to Cancel High Usage Unlimited Data Plans

Ā 

We've had several of our members successfully get back on contract, and thus far the termination letters have only been received by those out of contract.

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5Ā Winnebago Travato GLĀ Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized asĀ Escapee's Commercial Partners #773Ā /Ā EscapeesĀ RVOU Instructors

Bait and switch!

Later,

J

Ā 

PS Of course they will be successful with their position simply because they have more lawyers than the average Joe.

Ā 

I'm curious what you mean by "bait and switch" and why they would need a lawyer.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.Ā  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.Ā  Albert King

Ā 

Back when folks got those unlimited plans many of the thing we do now did not exist. I do not blame Verizon.200 GB is a lot of data and much more than a average home user would use.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Yup, back when these plans were offered - using 5GB a month would have been considered pretty darn extreme. in the age of video streaming, cloud services and more, 'unlimited' has a bit different of a meaning. Bandwidth is not an unlimited resource, that requires investments in equipment, towers, leases and backhaul. Not to mention limited spectrum licensing that has a high price of acquisition.

Ā 

Thus far, Verizon has only canceled those OUT of contract. Those for whom where on a month-to-month basis anyway. And even those in contract have wording that effectively makes it so Verizon can change the terms and just let consumers out of their early termination fees to cancel the contract.

Ā 

While, i as much as any other unlimited consumer, don't look forward to the day our sweet unlimited Verizon plans fully go away - I also understand why the carrier doesn't want to continue them.

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5Ā Winnebago Travato GLĀ Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized asĀ Escapee's Commercial Partners #773Ā /Ā EscapeesĀ RVOU Instructors

Yup, back when these plans were offered - using 5GB a month would have been considered pretty darn extreme. in the age of video streaming, cloud services and more, 'unlimited' has a bit different of a meaning. Bandwidth is not an unlimited resource, that requires investments in equipment, towers, leases and backhaul. Not to mention limited spectrum licensing that has a high price of acquisition.

Ā 

Thus far, Verizon has only canceled those OUT of contract. Those for whom where on a month-to-month basis anyway. And even those in contract have wording that effectively makes it so Verizon can change the terms and just let consumers out of their early termination fees to cancel the contract.

Ā 

While, i as much as any other unlimited consumer, don't look forward to the day our sweet unlimited Verizon plans fully go away - I also understand why the carrier doesn't want to continue them.

Ā 

I am not trying to start a brand vs. brand discussion here but based on your comments I am curious how T-Mobile can be offering the unlimited service they are offering along with their Binge On which allows streaming from certain services and it does not even count towards your data usage. At first blush it would seem that Verizon (or their stock holders) are interested in more profits than are those of T-Mobile. Or, T-Mobile is genuinely able to offer what they advertise and still keep the shareholders happy. I really am not sure which theory is accurate, if either of them are.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Ā 

I am not trying to start a brand vs. brand discussion here but based on your comments I am curious how T-Mobile can be offering the unlimited service they are offering along with their Binge On which allows streaming from certain services and it does not even count towards your data usage. At first blush it would seem that Verizon (or their stock holders) are interested in more profits than are those of T-Mobile. Or, T-Mobile is genuinely able to offer what they advertise and still keep the shareholders happy. I really am not sure which theory is accurate, if either of them are.

Ā 

It's my understanding that the so-called unlimited streaming on T-Mobile is 480p quality on mobile devices. Even assuming that you can send the signal from a mobile device to a TV, watching a >40" UHD TV in 480p isn't my idea of a satisfactory solution. If you actually have to watch on a mobile device then that's a real non-starter as far as I'm concerned. Furthermore, the T-Mobile "small print" appears to say that they reserve the right to throttle "heavy users" at any time they declare there is network congestion. Doesn't sound like that good a deal IMO.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

aren't these Verizon unlimited dats plans 3G they were when we had one a few years ago and unlimited in 4G was not available. We have a 40G Verizon plan .We do not watch movies, play games , etc. We are just normal internet users, pay bills, communicate with family and friends. We use between 30/35 gigs a month, We are now at 23 gigs for this month with 8 days left..

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Ā 

As others have said, read the fine print for T-Mobile. Binge On is limited to 480p and cannot be "cast" to a TV, so it is on the device only. Tethering is limited or slower speed, depending on how much you pay. Above a certain limit, I think it is about 27GB per month, they can throttle you. Plus, from personal experience, T-Mobile does not have the best coverage. Carrying a T-Mobile smartphone along the West Coast this fall I encountered many places with no service or the service was slow, including areas that were 4GLTE. I learned that if I saw a MetroPCS store (T-Mobile pre-paid), my speeds were often slow in the area of the store. I suspect that was from overloaded towers. I no longer need the T-Mobile phone, so it is history. But, it was useful in a couple key location where Verizon sucked.

Ā 

I also avoid Sprint, since some family members have Sprint and when they travel the whining and complaining about bad service is constant.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)
Ā 

Ā 

I'm curious what you mean by "bait and switch" and why they would need a lawyer.

Self explanatory.

Later,

J

Ā 

PS Lawyers are generally involved in writing the fine print found in most contracts.

PSS How data use has changed over time as described in the examples provided here are very true and in my opinion should have been considered BEFORE offering up the unlimited plans (but of course there was some fine print to maintain and improve future profit margins).

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

Ā 

Self explanatory.

Later,

J

Ā 

PS Lawyers are generally involved in writing the fine print found in most contracts.

PSS How data use has changed over time as described in the examples provided here are very true and in my opinion should have been considered BEFORE offering up the unlimited plans (but of course there was some fine print to maintain and improve future profit margins).

Ā 

I have no dog in this fight, but I also don't see where you are coming from. Everything I've read is that the users that were targeted by Verizon were not in contract, both this time and the previous time. They were out of contract and going month to month, so where is the bait and switch? I'm pretty sure under those terms either side can terminate without cause. Tenchnomadia has consistenly said that the best way to protect your unlimited Verizon was to keep it in contract and that is consistently echoed in their user forum. Now Verizon did end their 2 year contracts also a few days ago, but last I read on the forum, people were sitll able to lock in their UDP to a 1 year contract. They just stay on top of renewing their contract before it ends.

Ā 

Maybe that will change in the near future, but I'm sure Technomadia will be on top of that also if/when it happens.

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.comĀ orĀ Two Wheel Ramblin

One other factor, though perhaps minor in overall numbers, are the Verizon customers that are part of a Group Plan. We're Off Contract, and have been every since the days that Verizon wanted us to cancel the the ULD plan at each renewal. We've never obtained a phone via Verizon subsidy, even when we first started... We, as do many other Verizon account holders, also pay the extra fee for Hotspot.

Ā 

I've often wondered if being in a Group Discount Plan and or paying of the Hotspot feature, has helped us avoid being targeted from Verizon for being month to month?

Ā 

We do keep up with the changes from many sources, and yeah one of those is the Two Chris's and what they bring to the table with their Technomedia content.

Ā 

Always something for us to all keep up with:)!

Best to all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Self explanatory.

Later,

J

Ā 

Ā 

Verizon hasn't offered unlimited data to the general public in five years. Many of us bought unlimited data and have enjoyed it for many years. There is absolutely no obligation on Verizon's part to continue to offer unlimited data forever. Whether you're in contract or not, Verizon can end unlimited data any time they want.

Ā 

Since Verizon never falsely advertised unlimited data, never pressured anyone to buy another product when they went to buy unlimited data, and never switched anyone to another product without their knowledge, I don't see how what they're doing can be considered "bait and switch". So, it's not "self explanatory" to me.

Ā 

I'm not a lawyer, but I have read my User's Agreement several times. It's actually pretty simple and easy to understand. It clearly says that Verizon can change the service any time they want.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.Ā  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.Ā  Albert King

Ā 

I want to know how an unlimited user can have a contract. I thought when you renewed your contract it kicked you out of unlimited. If you subsidize a phone it will definitely kick you out of unlimited.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

I want to know how an unlimited user can have a contract. I thought when you renewed your contract it kicked you out of unlimited. If you subsidize a phone it will definitely kick you out of unlimited.

Ā 

Technomadio on their https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/ site go into detail about how to stay in contract and not use your UDP. I think that's discussed in their memember only area.

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.comĀ orĀ Two Wheel Ramblin

Ā 

Here's a thread with 1843 pages of posts dating back almost two years explaining how to buy a subsidized phone and keep unlimited data.

Ā 

https://slickdeals.net/f/7743625-verizon-how-to-use-a-subsidized-upgrade-and-keep-your-unlimited-data-plan-or-avoid-a-2-year-data-plan-on-a-nationwide-basic-line?v=1

Ā 

Here's a link to Verizon's iconic website where people are reporting that they are still able to buy a subsidized phone on two year contract as late as today.

Ā 

https://preorder.verizonwireless.com/order/common/dotcomContainer.jsp

Ā 

Archived