This pulled up next to me at the Pilot in Paducah, KY today

lockmup68

Interesting. Here's their website

safetyhitch.com

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Mike Dillard has been using one for several years. He likes it a lot.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

It takes a little different skill set to back up, but as any farmer that's ever backed up a hay wagon will tell you, it isn't all that difficult.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

It takes a little different skill set to back up, but as any farmer that's ever backed up a hay wagon will tell you, it isn't all that difficult.

From the videos I watched, it basically just extends the truck out. It attaches by 3 points to the truck frame and it appears It's more like adding a tag axle to your truck that stays in line with the truck. It doesn't swivel on it's own so backing up would be the same, except that you've extended the pivot point of the hitch way behind the rear axle, similar to how a lot of the HDT setups are. So it actually might make backing up easier than a standard 5th wheel setup in a pickup.

How it attaches

Backing it up

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

Depends on pin weight. I had too much for a dually. This would have corrected my problem. I do believe I like the HDT better though. Now that with my truck would allow a longer car to piggy back but I would be so long.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I had seen a similar tow dolly setup before, but it was a little different. I finally found the other one called the Tow All Dolly I had seen although now comparing the two, I think the automated saftey hitch looks much more substantial with the way it attaches to the vehicle. This other setup call the Tow All apears it just uses a standard bumper pull hitch to attach and not the extra points of attachment the safety automated hitch does. - http://ridingmode.com/tow-all-dolly/

Towards the end of the video you can see it in action.

Back to the Automated Saftey Hitch, it's interesting to watch these couple vids where they take it through some pretty rough terrain with a goose neck hitch and horse trailer on it. It seems for someone that might want to venture more off the beaten path with a 4x4 truck and maybe smaller 5th wheel (I think the ground clearace of the 5th wheel would be your limiting factor), this might give you some better options than a standard pickup 5th wheel setup where getting too much out of line risks the trailer contacting the bed.

This recovery video is impressive too with the winch setup.

Braking, Control, Stability, Manuverability. I was just watching all the videos and really it seems like this would be a step in the HDT direction for those that still own a regular pickup to tow their 5th wheel. I think most on here would say they would probably still prefer an HDT over this setup as you still have quite a few advantages, but it certainly seems to make things better than just towing with a standard pickup.

From the videos, he shows how it has it's own brakes that work in conjunction with the trailer brake setup and seems to dramatically help one of the biggest complaints of towing a large 5th wheel with a pickup and that is the substantially increased stopping distance. Since that's one of biggest saftey reasons the HDT's are so popular, it seems like it would be a big plus on that account.

Braking

Controlability

Here's the pics you so don't have to click on the links

IMG_1518_zpsmyxfmvgu.jpg

IMG_1517_zpsvcx1l3md.jpg

yes, it is a steerable tag axel with brakes, option for 8k in pin weight. Pretty substantial setup tied directly to the frame with three mounting points. I talked to the guy a bit and he said it pulled so much easier than with it hooked in the bed and he said that his 5ver would unload the front exle of his truck in many situations and it wasn't fun. He said they were going to give up RVing until they found this. I followed him for a few miles and it seemed to track and tow very well.. Pretty spendy from what I can tell.

How to post pics directly in thread without links? I'm still figuring that out.

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

It seems you can only put 2 videos in a post so I'll separate them out.

Highway Stability

Automated Steering Control System. I wondered how the wheels were unlocked in some videos and appeared locked in others. This explains how it works.

yes, it is a steerable tag axel with brakes, option for 8k in pin weight. Pretty substantial setup tied directly to the frame with three mounting points. I talked to the guy a bit and he said it pulled so much easier than with it hooked in the bed and he said that his 5ver would unload the front exle of his truck in many situations and it wasn't fun. He said they were going to give up RVing until they found this. I followed him for a few miles and it seemed to track and tow very well.. Pretty spendy from what I can tell.

How to post pics directly in thread without links? I'm still figuring that out.

Photobucket actually makes it easy for you as it gives you the code right on the page. When you pull up your picture on PB, look over to the right side where it says sharing and then below that look for the line that says IMG which stands for IMG tags. Just copy it directly and paste it right in here and your pics will appear directly in the thread.

Mike Dillard has been using one for several years. He likes it a lot.

Mike and Teresa are going to the Tampa RV show with there rig if you want to see one in person.

He loves his and let's him put his jeep on the back of his truck.

Roger

While looking at pics of the Automated Safety Hitch, I found this one behind an HDT with a Jeep, so I guess that might be Mike's setup as mentioned above.

As I posted the picture the link to show it, I noticed it says Mike Dillard right in the URL, so I guess that is his setup. That's pretty cool too.

LAYOUT_03_mike-dillard-w.jpg

Photobucket actually makes it easy for you as it gives you the code right on the page. When you pull up your picture on PB, look over to the right side where it says sharing and then below that look for the line that says IMG which stands for IMG tags. Just copy it directly and paste it right in here and your pics will appear directly in the thread.

I'm thinking that maybe the Dollymoma needs a couple of these things for her trailer assortment......and then I could ADD TWO tire and wheel sizes of my selection of spare tires and wheels (landing gear and axle tires)......pretty soon I am no longer a RV....I am a mobile tire wharehouse......

Drive on.......(two, too many.....spares?)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

From the videos I watched, it basically just extends the truck out. It attaches by 3 points to the truck frame and it appears It's more like adding a tag axle to your truck that stays in line with the truck. It doesn't swivel on it's own so backing up would be the same, except that you've extended the pivot point of the hitch way behind the rear axle, similar to how a lot of the HDT setups are. So it actually might make backing up easier than a standard 5th wheel setup in a pickup.

Yep, that definitely makes a big difference! About the same as backing up a standard TT,..

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

This is exactly what I need to solve my issue of not having enough room for both the smart and the bike on the deck. But for the price they are asking it may be cheaper to move my axle back to the long position and refab my deck

2000 W900L KW
Singled, C15 CAT 475 HP 18 sp, 3:36 rear, power locker,ET Hitch,,22.5 rubber

2011 Excel 36CFE Limited

photo2_zpse35f7a55.jpg

Archived