Looking to upgrade from pickup

bluflame11

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well...we are thinking seriously about taking a trip to look at the truck...coming from a newbie to the hdt market, what should I look for on inspection? We do not have the time to have it professionally inspected. What should turn me away from the truck?

Thanks for all the help everyone has given me so far!

Jack has a detailed list on his site. I copied it and used it to check mine

I like Glenn's idea about using a check list from Jack. You could start with a pre-trip inspection then move into a full inspection. Also ask to see if there was a DOT inspection done. Take your time. So what if it takes you a hour to and hour and half to look the truck over. Take a tablet and a pen with you. After you inspect the truck you could have some questions. Write your questions done. Write your question down as soon as you think of them. When I bought my truck the salesman just left me alone to do my own thing. Ask to see if there are any service records.

Best of luck, remember to ask a lot of questions,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

As far as the service records, any Volvo truck center should be able to pull all the records associated with the trucks VIN number. They may ask you if you really want it printed or not depending on how long it is. RDO truck center in Bismarck ND was able to see a service I had done in Mcallen TX.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

HERE is a list that is a combination of Gregg Shields list and my list.

It takes hours to properly inspect a truck. I take a Tyvex painters coveralls with me and a headlamp. If you have a Whisper, it will help you with "sounds". You may not be able to do all the items on this list, depending on the ability to "do stuff" to the truck....like pull wheels, etc. Also, it is key that you determine if the truck cruises properly at your desired cruise speed. SOme trucks will not locate a desired gear at some speeds.....good thing to be aware of.

Make sure you know how to do a proper air brake test, and do it....some of these trucks have very marginal air systems.

The list is more like a pilots "checklist". It is a reminder...it does not cover what to do with each item.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Is that a old picture as I believe I see a Sport Chassis ? or the signature in error. Either way you have a load.

Clay

The picture is of cwill925 truck and trailer I was just quoting there comment. Kind of like talking directly to them. He and I both haul our smarts in the trailer. But soon I plan on having the car on the truck and the Harley in the Trailer.

Norm & Rhonda

2013 Volvo VNL780 500HP D-13 12 Speed iShift Trans

2008 Jayco F 36 V 40' Toy Hauler

2016 Smart Fortwo Prime

2014 Harley-Davidson CVO Limited

Well...we are thinking seriously about taking a trip to look at the truck...coming from a newbie to the hdt market, what should I look for on inspection? We do not have the time to have it professionally inspected. What should turn me away from the truck?

Thanks for all the help everyone has given me so far!

bluflame,

Please keep us updated. It would be nice to hear how things are going for you.

Al

Well, we took the plunge! we went to look at the truck and really liked what we saw so we drove it home! the trip went really well, just long hours and one hiccup where we sheared a bolt off the rear fender mount. I have to say it rode rougher than I expected, rough enough to shear that bolt which makes me concerned that I may have a suspension issue??

I want to get everything checked over and all fluids changed at a dealership soon, but for now it is sitting in the garage. im anxious to tinker with it, but it is 5 degrees outside now and though it is inside, there is no heat in the garage it is in

It is the one from the racing ad! I'll post some pics soon!

bluflame,

Congratulation ! Now the fun starts. Is the truck a blue Volvo ? If it is, I like that color blue.

Al

A pretty blue 730, to boot!

A fine catch.

Love that it fits through my 12x12 garage doors to my shop!! I think it will work out great for our family and no more of that "your truck is too small for that camper!" stuff...

I have a few bugs to work out (goes with the territory and im looking at it as kinda a fun challenge), but it seems like the folks who had it took a lot of pride in it, so I hope that means they took good care of it and it will last us a long time!

Congratulations. You should get a lot of good use out of it.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

bluflame,

Your truck needed to be blue in color. It goes with your forum name. If you have the time, there is going to be a HDT rally in April in Tennessee. It would be nice to see you and your family.

Best of luck on your build,

Al

Have been spending some time working on the new rig! so far have adjusted the fenders, changed out the side markers for LED s and did some wiring for the cab.

They had the shore power plug just connected straight into the inverter, so I reinstalled the shore power plug so it can be connected from the outside, and added a switch to select from shore power or the inverter. Also added a battery tender connected to the shore power line.

Next on the docket is removing the commercial hitch and trying to get it to meet the requirements for motor home status in the eyes of the state!

By the way, I was looking to change out the climate control knobs as they are somewhat worn....does anyone know if I can switch to the knobs that look the same except have the "auto" feature? just wondering if this is possible...it was an option for the truck, but didn't know if it would just plug and play or not....

Have been spending some time working on the new rig! so far have adjusted the fenders, changed out the side markers for LED s and did some wiring for the cab.

They had the shore power plug just connected straight into the inverter, so I reinstalled the shore power plug so it can be connected from the outside, and added a switch to select from shore power or the inverter. Also added a battery tender connected to the shore power line.

Next on the docket is removing the commercial hitch and trying to get it to meet the requirements for motor home status in the eyes of the state!

By the way, I was looking to change out the climate control knobs as they are somewhat worn....does anyone know if I can switch to the knobs that look the same except have the "auto" feature? just wondering if this is possible...it was an option for the truck, but didn't know if it would just plug and play or not....

Hi bluflame,

Nice to hear that you are spending quality time with your truck. I think the best way to get your question answered is posting it into the hdt section. Go ahead and start a new thread. I don't think everybody knows that you posted a new question. This is just an idea to help you out. All questions are good as far as I can see.

Good luck with the truck,

Al

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats! I am proud for you too!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Archived