GEO method for black tanks

Fun2travel

Just be sensible about what goes in the tank.Greg

Pooh goes in the tank Greg. And without sitting in liquid, it hardens. You say its been 4 years without an issue but how do you know what is in that tank? Barbara is right, it's not if but when. But what the heck, you are capable of dropping the tank, right? Sounds like just making work for yourself, that could have easily been avoided.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I'm not going to beat a dead horse, but Barb and Big5er are dead on rights. "When.. not if" is an absolute.

One other factor to consider for those that rely on their black tanks when FHU's are not available... retaining copious amounts of excrement in your tanks will greatly diminish it's overall capacity.

Flushing with large quantities of water is always effective, but not always possible without FHU's or those that spend lengthy periods of time dry camping where fresh water tanks only hold 'so' much. One way around that is to partially fill your black tanks with fresh water before setting out so less water from your fresh water tank is required for actual flushing.

How much water is in your tank is more important than how much you actually add per flush.

I generally set out with 1/3 to 1/2 of my black tank filled with fresh water after a dump. That allows a very minimal amount of water from my fresh water tank per flush without compromising my black tanks ability to dump effectively.

I knew I would be flamed for this, but 4+ years and still running can't be all bad.

Nobody is flaming you, only expressing concern. In the real world it is not an exact science that always, or never happens. A significant part of it is also the geometry of your plumbing, but it is your tank and clearly you can deal with it should the worst happen. On the other hand, I would advise the new RV owner to ignore your advice for several reasons. First, no two RVs are exactly alike and so even though your waste tank may not retain any solids in the tank, that clearly doesn't prove that anyone else would have the same experience, especially if they have a different model/make of RV.

You should visualize just what happens if your tank should plug up while sitting with the black tank dump valve open. You won't even notice that things aren't draining like you are used to, until there is enough blockage to cause the water to stay in the tank as well as all or most of the solids. That means that there will be more than just a small amount of "nasty stuff" built up in the tank as it has to block almost completely before that big tank will have enough inside for people not paying attention to notice. Now let's just imagine that the worst has happened and it is time to correct the problem............ There have been many discussions about what to do with that problem on these forums over the years and none of them have found pleasant answers. If your toilet happens to be directly above an in line with the tank drain lines you might be able to somehow open the plug from above by digging out some rather unpleasant material to do so, but most tanks have a drain line that leaves the side of the tank and so it turns 90° to complicate things and it may not even be located close to the point that the toilet drains into the tank. That could mean you will have to open the line from the bottom. Consider that your tank is now nearly full, you noticed the problem because it is retaining liquid as well as solids, and that means that the tank is also very heavy and won't be so easy to remove. If you run a snake or something up the open end of the drain line, you will probably be aware when the plug breaks as there will be a rush of ................ out the opening where you are working to make sure that you know. Not a pleasant job.

.........there is nothing on this camper I can't repair or fix myself, so any labor is zero cost. Dropping a waste tank is well within my capabilities for repair or replacement, but I repeat, so far no problems and for 4 years I have not had any issues. Just be sensible about what goes in the tank.

You may well be right, but there are some who read these forums who are not so capable. Before you completely disregard the cautions of those who are concerned, talk to the people at your favorite RV repair facility and ask them if they have ever had this problem to deal with, and ask them describe the process it takes to deal with it. There are shops that will not take that sort of job at all.

Greg is absolutely right that this is his RV and he may never have a problem with his black tank, but it is taking a risk that I choose to avoid, since dumping the tank when half or more full is such an easy way to make sure it doesn't happen to me. I have twice known people who did experience black tank drainage failure so I know that it can happen. Each one to their own way, but it is important that those who are considering what is the best answer know what they are risking. I see this issue as very much like that of wearing a seat-belt when you are driving. If you have been driving for 4 or more years and have never been involved in an accident, is it a waste of time to buckle yourself into a vehicle?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived