Removing Vinyl Stripe

Snufy1

I am removing the vinyl stripe from My rig 1983 Revcon. I have used a 3m eraser and 3m adhesive remover, but all of it is not coming off. I know that there is going to be a shadow. But this is where the stripe cracked from age. Any ideas

Tom & Michele

1983 Revcon King33

1989 Goldwing

Try using a heat gun and a plastic scraper, where they cracked is the hardest areas to remove.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

My decals were also old and cracked. I used a decal remover from Harbor Freight. It is a cheap little tool that heats a razor blade to scape off most of the decal and glue but it can nick the siding if one isn't careful. I then used lacquer thinner to remove the remaining stuff. These tools sell for less than $20. I took off all of the decals on our 40' 5er and then used the shadows as a guide to paint on new graphics.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

I am doing this very thing. Started with the heat gun and plastic razor blades. The used the eraser ONLY if needed for subborn areas. Didnt use gas for glue, kind of afraid that it would harm the paint, used Xylene instead. Did a great job. Then rubbing compound with a buffer, then polish and finally wax. Yes, shadows remain. Planning on either larger vinyl for new look or will paint using the same areas.

Marcel

Plastic razor blades won't damage the fiberglass finish as you remove the old decal. I follow up with Goof-Off to remove any adhesive that remains. Then I've used mineral spirits to clean any remaining residue so that a new decal will adhere to the area.

Warren & Sandy

2006 New Horizons 36 ft 5ver

2003 Freightliner FL60 - Mountain Master conversion

I got all of the tape off with the eraser. I am trying to get the residue glue off where it looks like it baked on. I have used Goof-off, 3m adhesive remover rubbing compound acetone. I'm going to repaint after I save the $$$$$. I have had quotes from $ 12,000. to $ 22,000.

Tom & Michele

1983 Revcon King33

1989 Goldwing

I got all of the tape off with the eraser. I am trying to get the residue glue off where it looks like it baked on. I have used Goof-off, 3m adhesive remover rubbing compound acetone. I'm going to repaint after I save the $$$$$. I have had quotes from $ 12,000. to $ 22,000.

You might try WD-40 .

Goes around , comes around .

I finely got 99% of the residue off the last thing did was use rubbing compound one inch at a time slow work but it looks a lot better. Now I will polish the whole rig and wait until I can afford to repaint her

Tom & Michele

1983 Revcon King33

1989 Goldwing

A ROYAL PITA. I've dealt with UV hardened/cracked decals on several units and I HATE them. Makes you want to take them all off while they are still new and fresh. Then again, there's MILES of them.....ugh.

One of the things that "sold" me on our Berkshire is that the "art" is painted on, before the 4 coats of clear coat go on. In theory they will last as long as the paint and then it's just sand and respray.

Previously a 2017 Forest River, Berkshire 38A, "The Dragonship". https://dragonship.blog/

I have owned a sign shop for the last 13 years and have done a lot of stripe and graphic replacements on RVs. The best way we have found to remove old stripes was using a heat gun and plastic scrapers to first remove the vinyl and then go over the left over adhesive with rapid remover. This stuff works the best of anything we have found. I have included the description from our suppliers website. The stuff comes in quarts and gallon sizes. Our cost for a quart runs around $20.00 and a gallon runs $65. A typical 35' Montana 5th wheel would use about a quart of product. I am not selling the remover just letting you know the cost involved. Maybe check with your local sign shop to see if they have any for sale.

Just my 2 cents.

An environmentally friendly product, great for removing adhesive left by decals and vinyl graphics. Rapid Remover is a non-toxic, water-soluble methanol based solution with a mild citrus odor that breaks down and removes adhesives fast. Spray it on, wait thirty to sixty seconds, and easily wipe it off with a plastic squeegee, with no damage to painted or bare metal surfaces.post-54127-0-76793800-1483039762_thumb.gif

2009 Carriage Cameo

1961 Ford Econoline

Archived