Using a Jetpack as a router between devices

Jmcgsd

I just acquired a Verizon Jepack used on CL and have registered it with Verizon. Seems to work great for its intended purpose. My question regards using it to transfer data between devices.

I found a few posts but there seems to be conflicting answers. There are times I would like to be able to move or copy data including pictures between my iPhone and iPad. Can I do this with the Jetpack? Related questions include: if this is possible will it use data on my plan? If it does work, does it just happen when my two devices are on and connected to the Jetpack as would happen on my home network?

Thanks.

Joe

I just found this on the web:

With Airdrop it is always a direct connection (usually wifi or a mix of wifi + bluetooth) between the 2 devices. No internet connection is required at all. So you can transfer as much as you like and it will all be local between the devices; "peer to peer" like you say. Your internet quota won't be used at all.

Mark & Sue---SKP#86611
'06 International 4400LoPro DT570 310hp 950ft-lbs.-Allison--3.70 gears
'05 36' Teton Liberty
'12 BMW F650 twin

I have a wireless printer that I connect to from our laptops through the jetpack.

Usually it is not the router that is the problem, it is configuring the devices to talk to or to allow the software to talk to each other.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

I just acquired a Verizon Jepack used on CL and have registered it with Verizon. Seems to work great for its intended purpose. My question regards using it to transfer data between devices.

I found a few posts but there seems to be conflicting answers. There are times I would like to be able to move or copy data including pictures between my iPhone and iPad. Can I do this with the Jetpack? Related questions include: if this is possible will it use data on my plan? If it does work, does it just happen when my two devices are on and connected to the Jetpack as would happen on my home network?

Thanks.

Joe

Don't you have the iPhone and iPad registered with an iCloud account with Apple? When I put something on one, it automatically updates in the other if I have selected that option. I have Calendar, email, contacts, and photos that update through iCloud.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I use my Jetpack to print to two wireless printers and to transfer data between my computer and my wife's computer.

How did you do it? I spent half a day trying to find some way to use my MiFi as a home network and could find no way to do it. I talked to two Verizon techs and a store tech and they all said it couldn't be done (connecting my laptop to my wife's laptop). I still thought there should be some way.

I was able to connect to our wireless printer with no problem.

Clay(WA5NMR), Lee(Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats)
Full timed for eleven years in our 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Snowbirds for 1 year. Now settled down in western CO.
Honda Accord toad.

I have never used the cloud. Our jetpack has always ( 6 years now) been easy and I never did anything special. All of our devices ( laptop, Nexus, HP wireless printer, and 2 iPhones work together just fine).

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

Have been doing it for years. 5 devices connected. Login to Jetpack go to Jetpack settings and select Wi-Fi "on". can't believe Verizon people don't know how!

This allows all five devices to share folders, files, ect in a home network?

Clay(WA5NMR), Lee(Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats)
Full timed for eleven years in our 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Snowbirds for 1 year. Now settled down in western CO.
Honda Accord toad.

The correct answer to your question is that "this can be done" but it isn't always easy. With Windows 8 and 10 it is easiest to make all your devices members of the same "Home Group" but you may still have to adjust settings on your firewall and/or anti-virus software if you use a non-Microsoft product. I have found that, for me at least, it is easier and more reliable to use the "cloud" for document storage and sharing rather than to deal with file sharing between devices on my network.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

The MiFi connects the devices into a local LAN. The sharing of files is a function of the operating system settings like Home Networking.

We do a lot od files sharing basically having a file server for the PCs. We would not rely of the performance of a mini battery power device to handle that traffic between PCs which is significantly higher than the traffic out to the Internet. We use a real router for that.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

The correct answer to your question is that "this can be done" but it isn't always easy. With Windows 8 and 10 it is easiest to make all your devices members of the same "Home Group" but you may still have to adjust settings on your firewall and/or anti-virus software if you use a non-Microsoft product. I have found that, for me at least, it is easier and more reliable to use the "cloud" for document storage and sharing rather than to deal with file sharing between devices on my network.

Doesn't using the Cloud involve also using data both to and from the Cloud? I think the OP's intent is to do this without using their allotted data.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Doesn't using the Cloud involve also using data both to and from the Cloud? I think the OP's intent is to do this without using their allotted data.

Right you are, chirakawa. Using the cloud as an intermediary does, in fact, count against plan data. As others have stated above, connecting each device to the MiFi (which has a built-in router) creates a local network. The rest of it depends on making various devices and folders "visible" to other devices on your local network. The procedure for this varies among operating systems. Me careful, though, if you use these same devices on an unsecured public network. You don't want that kid in the booth across from you at McDonald's getting to your data while you're enjoying your senior coffee...

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

Archived