Can't Connect

LindaH

Hi Linda, long time no talk to since I took my class B over to have a tour of your park model at Q. Anyway the same thing happened to my laptop a couple of days ago. It sensed the wifi but no internet connect. No restore points either. So I can tell you how I fixed it. Simple, I took it to a computer replace and $125 later it was fixed. Turns out it's happening to a lot of people. There were 7 other computers there getting worked on with the same exact problem! They said it was some kind of malware or windows thing. They didn't give details. Wierd to me atleast, that's it's happening to so many all at the same time but I guess that's what happens these days.

Dave 04 PleasureWay Excel

Hi Dave. Yes, I've thought about taking it somewhere because I know just enough about computers to be dangerous, but not enough to fix problems!

I did run Malwarebytes, but it didn't come up with anything, so I don't know if that's the problem. I'm very careful about not clicking links in emails, or opening up attachments in an email unless it's something I'm expecting from a friend or family member...which hasn't happened in quite awhile.

I'm going to try Bill's suggestion, above, and see if that will fix the problem. If not, I may take it in to a computer repair shop and have them look at it...but that wouldn't happen until we get back home in the spring. In the meantime, I have my Surface 3 which...at the moment, anyway...is working just fine.

If I could use a Chromebook, I'd get one of those because they're cheap. But I have to have Quicken, which doesn't work on the Chrome OS.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

One suggestion that I don't think has been made yet is the one I used with my wife's Dell. The WiFi adapter was so flaky and lost connection so often that I purchased a USB wifi adapter and am using it with the built-in one disabled. The laptop still has some wifi issues but not nearly as many as before. I bought it on Amazon for $8! https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003MTTJOY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

I ran windows defender full scan a few days ago and we have been good since then.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

This can occur if an older version of a VPN was installed prior to the upgrade to W10. From Microsoft, “This issue may occur if older VPN software is installed on Windows 8.1 and is present during the upgrade to Windows 10. Older software versions contain a Filter Driver (the Deterministic Network Enhancer) which is not properly upgraded, leading to the issue.” This can occur if a old VPN client, specifically from Cisco, is configured on the older Windows setup from W7 or W8. This has been a problem on computers like Asus, Acer, Dell, HP, Sony, Lenovo, Samsung, Toshiba, IBM, Alienware, Compaq, Gateway, LG, Microsoft, MSI, etc. A fix can be as simple as uninstalling the wifi adapter and reinstalling since the adapter becomes incompatible after the W10 update. The LAN adapter and the Wifi adapter ARE NOT the same so be sure and remove and reinstall the correct adapter. Chuck

58dd65872f8a7_ReducedRVandCar.jpg.cf7b626fb3b5b05ebc20cb05195193a2.jpg

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

This can occur if an older version of a VPN was installed prior to the upgrade to W10. From Microsoft, “This issue may occur if older VPN software is installed on Windows 8.1 and is present during the upgrade to Windows 10. Older software versions contain a Filter Driver (the Deterministic Network Enhancer) which is not properly upgraded, leading to the issue.” This can occur if a old VPN client, specifically from Cisco, is configured on the older Windows setup from W7 or W8. This has been a problem on computers like Asus, Acer, Dell, HP, Sony, Lenovo, Samsung, Toshiba, IBM, Alienware, Compaq, Gateway, LG, Microsoft, MSI, etc. A fix can be as simple as uninstalling the wifi adapter and reinstalling since the adapter becomes incompatible after the W10 update. The LAN adapter and the Wifi adapter ARE NOT the same so be sure and remove and reinstall the correct adapter. Chuck

Interesting. The computer in question is a Toshiba. I have no idea what VPN client is on the computer...whatever came with it, I suppose, because I certainly never changed it.

I'll have to find the correct Wi-Fi adapter online and put it on a USB stick as Bill suggested.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

docj's suggestion of using a USB wifi adapter is a good one if you can't get the built-in one working. I see little wifi adapters on Amazon for $8 (http://www.amazon.com/Edimax-EW-7811Un-150Mbps-Raspberry-Supports/dp/B003MTTJOY/ for a bestselle) and nicer ones with big antennas for $12 to $17.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Read an article on HotHardWare today, "Windows 10 Anniversary Update Blamed for WIFi Dropout Bug." It describes how to fix the Problem!

Hold down the Shift key as you press down the Start button, (Never letting go of the Shift Key until the process begins.)That will force the computer to Shutdown to a state where it will need to process a full boot cycle before you get back to Windows! If this don't work, they also say to right click the Network symbol on the system tray and click on Troubleshoot Problems!

Hope this helps!! :):):D:D

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

Pieere, on 11 Dec 2016 - 09:58 AM, said:

Hold down the Shift key as you press down the Start button, (Never letting go of the Shift Key until the process begins.)That will force the computer to Shutdown to a state where it will need to process a full boot cycle before you get back to Windows!

This seems to have worked! Or else, the computer just needed a few days of rest...it's been sitting in the bottom of the closet since I gave up on it a few days ago and started using my Surface 3.

Thanks, Pieere! This is a lot simpler -- and a lot less expensive -- that some of the other fixes, including a new computer! :)

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

Archived