residential fridge install question

lockmup68

I found a flaw with using bungee cords. I had a watermelon in the fridge and while traveling it got against the door alwong with a couple of bottles of water. Going down the road the bouncing kept wedging the watermelon against the door and the bottles kept holding it at that position until there was enough force to let the watermelon start working its way out, too.  At our destination, the bottles were on the floor... somewhere and the watermelon was busted open on the floor as well.

I had to switch to straps that run diagonally from the hinges to the opposite corner of the doors. This has worked well for the years since.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

And pic of the finished product:

7jBhArbl.jpg

I attach at strap across top and bottom sections, and then we strap the island to the front with a pillow in between after slide is in. Our island is on wheels and it fits perfectly between the two slides when in.

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

For me, the residential fridge wins over the RV fridge because of its size.  It can hold more than an RV fridge and is more convenient for us because of that.  It does require additional equipment to keep it running when traveling or boondocking though so that has to be weighed into the equation.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

17 minutes ago, oldbutspry said:

Do the RV fridges like Dometic not cool ok?  Or is it just the size and ice maker that people don't like?

In my case, the cooling unit leaked (again) and would have to be replaced (again). The cost of that, alone, would be more than a residential refrigerator purchase. Fortunately, I already had an old 2 door beer/watermelon refrigerator in the basement that was almost an exact fit.  It would be nice to have on the door ice and water dispenser, though.  but you can't beat free.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

54 minutes ago, lockmup68 said:

And pic of the finished product:

7jBhArbl.jpg

I attach at strap across top and bottom sections, and then we strap the island to the front with a pillow in between after slide is in. Our island is on wheels and it fits perfectly between the two slides when in.

I can see my store bought clamps on that

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

3 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Which ones did you get? There are no handles on this one, so everything I've looked at doesn't really make sense. Plus, throwing straps on it is extra insurance for keeping the reefer in place. I also have a mind block of drilling into a brand new, expensive reefer. 

12 minutes ago, lockmup68 said:

Which ones did you get? There are no handles on this one, so everything I've looked at doesn't really make sense. Plus, throwing straps on it is extra insurance for keeping the reefer in place. I also have a mind block of drilling into a brand new, expensive reefer. 

They are just spring loaded clamps.https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/tekton-3-in-supergrip-spring-clamp?rfk=1

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

2 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Aha, got it. nothing to pinch together unfortunately on my model with the sunken handles. I have a couple of those types of clamps and I just tried them to see if they would work, and nada.

On 1/17/2018 at 12:32 PM, budeneighe said:

It would be nice to have on the door ice and water dispenser, though.

It's funny how everyone has such different priorities.  Our fridge in the stix-n-brix has water and ice in the door.  Literally, the only time we ever used it was the test we did when we first got it.  The only time we use the icemaker is when we are going on camping trips and need the ice to fill the cooler.  Still, the wife would prefer a residential fridge because it's bigger.  I think I could live with a smaller fridge but the wife will probably get what she wants.

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 10:37 PM, oldbutspry said:

It's funny how everyone has such different priorities.  Our fridge in the stix-n-brix has water and ice in the door.  Literally, the only time we ever used it was the test we did when we first got it.  The only time we use the icemaker is when we are going on camping trips and need the ice to fill the cooler.  Still, the wife would prefer a residential fridge because it's bigger.  I think I could live with a smaller fridge but the wife will probably get what she wants.

Your first sentence is the key.  My wife uses the water in the door at our S&B all the time.  I never do.  The ice maker for the S&B broke years ago, but I'm not getting a new fridge just for that.  The residential unit in the 5er has an ice maker and we use it all the time.  She is very happy with the residential unit in lieu of an RV fridge.  I like it, too.  Fewer trips to the grocery store now, and it works/cools much better than the rv fridge.  Not to mention, a replacement residential fridge can cost a lot less than an rv fridge.  The pain seems to be fitting one in the rv fridge space.  I do not believe in "happy wife, happy life", but I do believe you both will be satisfied with a residential fridge.

On 1/17/2018 at 2:44 PM, GlennWest said:

nothing to clamp to. The top and bottom of the "handles" has no ridge to clamp to. top and bottom of fridge and doors are flat. 

On 1/21/2018 at 7:41 PM, lockmup68 said:

nothing to clamp to. The top and bottom of the "handles" has no ridge to clamp to. top and bottom of fridge and doors are flat. 

This isn't quite what we have but it is close:  https://www.amazon.com/Edelein-Adjustable-Proofing-Refrigerator-Appliances/dp/B00XAYU3V4/ref=sr_1_14_s_it?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1516674599&sr=1-14&refinements=p_n_location_browse-bin%3A3998121011

Ours works well enough and is not very visible.  I'll look around some more and see if I can find what we are using.  

2007 2L Freightliner Century Condo, 14.0L Detroit, QD 6000
2013 Space Craft

Archived