Toyota towing information request

Boogity

Hi everyone. We've been off the road for several years and now we are planning to start RVing again in a much-reduced capacity. I'm planning to tow my 2010 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner pickup truck (two wheel drive) behind a MiniWinnie class C motorhome. I have towed several vehicles in the past 15 years and I'm familiar with many of the requirements for towing. I can purchase and install the driveshaft disconnect equipment, the towbar hitch (baseplate). The brake/turn signal lights and braking system is a piece of cake. My primary concern is whether I would need to remove certain fuses while traveling. As most of us know, the ignition switch must be in the "on" position to release the steering wheel lock while towing and this causes a drain on the battery. Many vehicle manufacturers publish info. on what fuse (or fuses) to pull but I can't find the Toyota information.

Any help out there? Thanks.

We tow our Toyota RAV4 with the key in "Acc" position and everything turned off, such as the radio, etc. We sometimes go 2-3 days without unhooking the car, and the battery has always been more than strong enough to start the car. About the only load on it while underway is the LED brake lights when stopping. Since the brake lights are also powered by the coach via diode packs, I doubt that adds much of a load.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I know nothing about Toyota's, but do you "know" that the ignition must be on to unlock the steering wheel?

When I bought a used 2009 Chevy Colorado I "assumed" the ignition had to be on to unlock the steering wheel. I discovered a year or two later that the steering wheel is never locked and have been towing with the ignition off and key removed for the last 2 years.

You may have to jack up both front wheel to test, but it is worth testing. You could also hook up the truck to the MH and tow it slowly a few feet while making a slow turn with someone watching the steering wheel and tires. Sliding the tires 2 or 3 inches is not going to hurt anything.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the replies folks. I also posted this same question on the Tacoma Owner's Group website forum and received several different answers. But one of the replies stated exactly what Al Florida posted above . . . he said that he always tows his off-road 2008 Tacoma with the steering wheel locked and the ignition keys in his pocket. He explained that he discovered that the key lock on the steering column only locks the steering wheel and not the front wheels of the vehicle. I think I'll look into that a bit further. When I think about it (hard thing for me to do) the steering wheel shaft simply controls hydraulic valves in the power steering system and hydraulic pistons move the tie rods left and right. So maybe he's right. I'll have to experiment later today.

I also have a request for info. from Toyota as well as the driveshaft disconnect mfg. (Remco).

@Dutch_12078

Do you have a supplemental transmission oil pump for towing on your RAV-4? We have a 2008 RAV-4 that we could tow. It has a bazzillion miles on it and I would rather tow it than the pickup. And I would not have to install a driveshaft disconnect. Yeaaaa!

Thanks for the replies folks. I also posted this same question on the Tacoma Owner's Group website forum and received several different answers. But one of the replies stated exactly what Al Florida posted above . . . he said that he always tows his off-road 2008 Tacoma with the steering wheel locked and the ignition keys in his pocket. He explained that he discovered that the key lock on the steering column only locks the steering wheel and not the front wheels of the vehicle. I think I'll look into that a bit further. When I think about it (hard thing for me to do) the steering wheel shaft simply controls hydraulic valves in the power steering system and hydraulic pistons move the tie rods left and right. So maybe he's right. I'll have to experiment later today.

I also have a request for info. from Toyota as well as the driveshaft disconnect mfg. (Remco).t

As I understand federal highway law, all automobiles are required to be steerable without the power steering in operation. That is accomplished by using power assist systems that aid a mechanical connection between the steering wheel and the front wheel linkages. I think that you need to talk to a mechanic before you try that.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

At least for me this steering wheel lock issue stems from back in the 1980's, maybe even 1970's, when there was an anti theft regulation that required the steering wheel to lock when the key was removed.

I don't know when it changed, but I was really surprised when I tested my 2009 Chevy Colorado, with the key out and transmission in park, the steering wheel just followed the wheels as the moved right and left around turns.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

@Dutch_12078

Do you have a supplemental transmission oil pump for towing on your RAV-4? We have a 2008 RAV-4 that we could tow. It has a bazzillion miles on it and I would rather tow it than the pickup. And I would not have to install a driveshaft disconnect. Yeaaaa!

Yes, I installed a Remco pump for towing our RAV4. Actually, our current 2011 is the second RAV4 I've installed this pump on. We towed our 2002 RAV4 about 30,000 miles before retiring it to "spare" car status when we bought the 2011. We've since put about 20,000 towing miles on the 2011 with the same pump and zero problems.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Man! I must be loosing it. Last night I typed a response to the replies form you guys and when I came to check tonight I see that my response is not here. I'll bet I did not hit "post" before I closed the forums. Duh!

I'll try again . . .

Kirk - I think you are correct, every vehicle with power steering I have ever tinkered with has had mechanical connections from the steering gearbox to the steering linkage and the hydraulic power steering piston was simply an assist. I'm fairly certain that it is still that design on today's vehicles. Today I jacked the front wheels off the ground on my Tacoma and with the steering wheel locked I could move the wheels only a small amount.

Dutch_12078 - I'll keep your reply in mind when I make my decisions over the next few weeks. Thanks.

Archived