Boosting my wifi Ranger internal signal

rynosback

I have a wifi Ranger Go 2. It is mounted on the roof above the bedroom. I show 3 bars when I have a device up there. But when I go back to the rear of my 5th wheel it shows two bars of strength. I am using mostly Apple devices. If I get an Apple Airport Express, is it compatible with the wifi Ranger? Will it improve my signal? Thanks for you feedback.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Do you have the wifi Ranger Go 2 kit or just the antenna?

What device are you putting up on the roof with the antenna?

I have the older kit with only one output on the router. Their new one same price has more. From my one output I ran it to a 8 Switch that works for me.

I don't notice any difference in speed no matter how many bars I am getting on iPhone or iPad.

My 2 Smart TV's don't give a signal power. Bedroom works just as good as main TV. But i do have the DirecTV Genie and Blue Ray DVD hard wired to the router.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

I have a wifi Ranger Go 2. It is mounted on the roof above the bedroom. I show 3 bars when I have a device up there. But when I go back to the rear of my 5th wheel it shows two bars of strength. I am using mostly Apple devices. If I get an Apple Airport Express, is it compatible with the wifi Ranger? Will it improve my signal? Thanks for you feedback.

My first question is why you mounted a Go2 on the roof--it's not intended for outdoor use? Have you had it outside during rain?

Second, the number of bars of signal you see is totally irrelevant. The only thing that matters is can you connect to the signal and what speeds do you get if you do a speedtest? Yes, a wifi signal will vary strength over the area in which you plan to use it, but that's totally normal.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Well not a apple guy, but why on roof. Most extenders/boosters are usually placed almost half way between modem an where you would like to get a signal at.

I did not install it, I bought it that way.

Do you have the wifi Ranger Go 2 kit or just the antenna?

What device are you putting up on the roof with the antenna?

I have the older kit with only one output on the router. Their new one same price has more. From my one output I ran it to a 8 Switch that works for me.

I don't notice any difference in speed no matter how many bars I am getting on iPhone or iPad.

My 2 Smart TV's don't give a signal power. Bedroom works just as good as main TV. But i do have the DirecTV Genie and Blue Ray DVD hard wired to the router.

I would think that I have the kit. I guess I need to call wifi Ranger and find out what I have. I am not putting anything on the roof. It was an option that I opted when I ordered the 5ver.

I also have my tv and DVR connected to the Ranger.

That is the antenna. Not a antenna and another device.

If you are getting a signal if 1 bar or 5 bars inside the RV. Then if the control panel has a lock on a WiFi signal that is open or maybe only a sign on filter.

You have no problem. The 2 bar signal will give you the same speed as a 3 bar one.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

That is the Sky2. You may or may not have an internal router. Do you have anything inside?

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

That is the Sky2. You may or may not have an internal router. Do you have anything inside?

Now that we've established that what you have on your roof is, indeed, an outdoor WiFiRanger, the next question is why are you so concerned about the number of bars displayed at different locations? As several people have noted, the strength of the signal inside your RV is not significant, all that really matters is that you can connect. If you can connect to the network in different parts of your RV then everything is working fine; you don't need additional hardware.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

A test you can perform for peace of mind. Use speedtest.com. Run it on your laptop or tablet (use the app) from the different areas where the interior signal strength varies. Run several tests at each location and average them. That will give you concrete data on your signal strength vs. actual data throughput. Signal strength alone is not a valid indicator of much, as others have correctly noted.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Now that we've established that what you have on your roof is, indeed, an outdoor WiFiRanger, the next question is why are you so concerned about the number of bars displayed at different locations? As several people have noted, the strength of the signal inside your RV is not significant, all that really matters is that you can connect. If you can connect to the network in different parts of your RV then everything is working fine; you don't need additional hardware.

I get that now, but why have a signal strength bar if it makes no difference?

A test you can perform for peace of mind. Use speedtest.com. Run it on your laptop or tablet (use the app) from the different areas where the interior signal strength varies. Run several tests at each location and average them. That will give you concrete data on your signal strength vs. actual data throughput. Signal strength alone is not a valid indicator of much, as others have correctly noted.

Makes sense, guess I will sell my new AirPort Express.

I get that now, but why have a signal strength bar if it makes no difference?

The signal strength indicator on your computer provides "qualitative" information about the relative strengths of the wifi signals it sees. If you have a choice of access points to connect to, as you do in some parks, it makes sense to connect to the strongest signal. But you can connect to signals with a rather wide range of signal strengths with no loss of throughput speed. It's just there as an indicator; sometimes the access point you want to connect to is rather weak, but you find you can connect to it without a problem.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Archived