I have no idea what Washington requires on this. What I have seen many times on these forums, however, is that vehicles are usually registered where garaged. So I just wanted to bring up this point.

Where "garaged" is the pretty much standard rule but each state defines the term garaged. Nearly all of them have some version of the vehicle or RV that means where it is parked most. To quote from the WA ~DOT website:

Things to know
  • First, you must get your Washington (WA) driver license, then register your vehicle(s). You have 30 days to do this after you’ve moved here.

Vehicle registration is a state function so the issue is typically the length of time you state inside of that state's boundaries. You are less likely to be caught when you move about inside of the state but if you should be caught you will loose. I really don't understand why you hesitate to claim WA as domicile and move your registrations there? Even if you should do that and prefer to use the Escapee mail service, that can be done since WA doesn't care where you receive mail (nor does any state) but what they want is your registration fees and taxes, which are probably little different from those in TX.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Hi everyone!

Diane and I would like to express our sincere appreciation to you all for the many thoughtful comments and suggestions. As a result, we have revised our plans slightly and are now much more comfortable with our decision to go forward with our transition into full time RV'ing next spring, albeit within a rather restricted geographical region at least for the first few years: Puget Sound and the Pacific Northwest. Following are the main changes to our plan, primarily based on the generosity of my father:

• Our domicile will be Washington State, with our physical address being my father's residence in Anacortes, WA (thank you dad!).
  • I will NOT sell my photography business and instead rent a spare bedroom in my father's house for use as my office and as a production area for my photographic products, which I will ship to my customers at the Pentagon via UPS.
  • I will be paying COBRA for our medical, dental and vision health insurance at least for the month of December while I research ACA options.
  • I have applied for VA Unemployment benefits since my employer terminated my position (after hiring my replacement whom I trained) six weeks in advance of my signed and approved notice of retirement. BTW, I had only worked there for 16 months.
  • We are holding off on joining the Escapees RV Club because the benefits for our particular situation are minimal, and we both have national park senior passes and intend to purchase Washington State Parks senior passes.

We can now focus on downsizing our possessions and preparing to sell our house. Again, I welcome your comments and suggestions.

Best wishes!

Randy and Diane

Hi!

We are looking for advice and guidance as to where to begin and how to prioritize our preparations for transitioning to the lifestyle of early retirement and full-time RVing. We are very excited about our plans, but the more we study this concept the more overwhelmed and apprehensive we feel and would very much appreciate your comments and suggestions based on your experiences. Following is our current status and our objectives:

• My name is Randy and I am 62 years old (8/23/54) and just retired from my full time job.
  • My wife, Diane is 63 years old (8/21/53) and retired from her home daycare business as of July, 2013 for medical reasons, most of which she has been successfully treated.
  • We have a 9-year old healthy Norwegian Elkhound and are temporarily taking care of our son’s two Siamese cats.
  • We live in Sterling, VA and own our home, with approximately $175K in equity based on recent comps.
  • We plan on selling our home early next spring in 2017 along with most all of our possessions, most of which are worth very little with the exception of a few antiques.
  • We have completed significant home improvements and expect very few additional expenses in preparation for listing our home.
  • The housing market is very good in our area and we have already made preliminary arrangements with a Real Estate agent; however we are considering selling our home ourselves as we have done in the past.
  • I plan on paying for COBRA for our medical, dental and vision health insurance for the full 18 months or as long as we can afford to, which will cost an estimated $1,700 a month.
  • I own a part-time photography wholesale business that brings in an annual income of $10K – $15K, which I plan on selling (if possible) when we sell our home in early spring, 2017.
  • With the exception of our mortgage and remaining car loan balance of $5,000, we are essentially free of debt.
  • Other income sources include an IRA and Annuity the total of which is approximately $1M; both are managed by a financial advisory firm.
  • We plan on delaying receiving Social Security benefits for as long as possible.
  • We recently updated our wills, living wills, general powers of attorney and other legal documents.
  • Our plan is to drive across the country in our 2011 Subaru Outback towing a new 5′ x 8′ Haulmark enclosed cargo trailer with our final destination being Seattle, Washington.
  • We are considering joining the Escapees RV Club and stopping in Livingston, TX to make arrangements for a permanent mailing address and mail forwarding.
  • We are purchasing a used 2001 Class A Fleetwood Bounder, Model 32-H, mileage 42,069 from Diane’s mother for $20,000, for which we have a purchase agreement with a $2,000 down payment, contingent on passing a pre-delivery inspection.
  • Once we have made all necessary repairs to the RV, we plan on living in it full time and traveling back and forth to the homes of our surviving parents who live at opposite ends of Seattle, and to assist them with downsizing their possessions, home maintenance and medical needs.
  • Time permitting, we plan on exploring the greater Pacific Northwest in our RV in search for a final retirement location, and/or continue RVing for as long as we are able and are enjoying this lifestyle.

Again, your thoughts are most appreciated.

Sincerely yours,

Randy and Diane

• We are holding off on joining the Escapees RV Club because the benefits for our particular situation are minimal, and we both have national park senior passes and intend to purchase Washington State Parks senior passes.

We joined Escapees before we went full time even though we never used their mail service. We wanted to support the organization that provided this forum where we learned so much and who fought legal battles on behalf of RVers everywhere. The magazine that came with membership was a bonus we had not anticipated. Also, we made use of campground discounts when we traveled and stayed at various SKP-owned and co-op parks. We found our membership to be well worth the cost. Even if you never travel outside of Washington you can visit the SKP coop there and learn just what a friendly community Escapees members are.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Hi Linda,

You presented some compelling reasons for joining Escapees, so I just signed up! :)

Randy

We are not fulltimers but joined a few years ago. At that time it was $70 to join, at first. Reconsidered continuing after that but then the annual membership cost dropped. Much of the information here is often helpful to those of us not fulltiming. The magazine is excellent. I think that you will find you are glad to have joined.

Cathy (Catharine) Summerfield Hana

Jack, what did they die of - that's important to know and whether or not it was life style related. Both Dave's father and grandfather died of coronaries at about 60 - both smoked heavily. Dave is 72, never smoked, and while he did inherit the coronary artery disease problems, knowing that he has had good medical care, takes his meds, tries to exercise and watch his diet. Same for his two younger brother. They are all past 60, so have outlived their fathers, all inherited the coronary artery disease problems, but all actively work to take care of themselvs.

It is also important to note that the current life expectancy for someone who has reach 65 (ie, you made it that far) is another 19 years. So don't sell yourself short!

Hi, They died of High blood pressure/stroke. Ive been on meds for 20 years as has my bro and two sisters. I drink one martini /night and a couple of beers for additional self-medication:)

Hi, They died of High blood pressure/stroke. Ive been on meds for 20 years as has my bro and two sisters. I drink one martini /night and a couple of beers for additional self-medication:)

Remember, moderation in all things. :lol:

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Such good information! A very good thing to remember about this great site is the amount of good information that is shared here - much of it from the heart and the abundance of experiences collected here in one location. However, one shoe does not fit all sizes. Make a personal plan and work your plan. But, never be resistant to make adjustments as the need arrives.

Having a set of wheels under your home provides a change of the neighborhood almost at will!

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

However, one shoe does not fit all sizes. Make a personal plan and work your plan. But, never be resistant to make adjustments as the need arrives.

So true, we have a hiking saying "Hike your own hike", but the flip side is if you are lost, you might want to listen to someone who knows the trail!

Happy Trails,

Jim & Ginger/Nomad Hikers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Retirement 12/2016

Full-time 04/2017

VanLeigh Vilano/Ford F350

Blog site - https://www.trailer2trail.com/

Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=trailer2trail

So true, we have a hiking saying "Hike your own hike", but the flip side is if you are lost, you might want to listen to someone who knows the trail!

A favorite word of advice of mine is to tell folks who are just starting on the fulltime lifestyle, the only limitation of ways that you can live in your RV is your own imagination. There are at least as many different ways of living the RV lifestyle as there are for living in a fixed house, probably more.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived