Vehicle storage in LIvingston & getting to IAH

GreyDawg

Not really sure where to post this...

I will be traveling outside the US for about 12 weeks this spring, so I've got the problem of where to store my vehicle and how to get to my departure airport.

I recently read that rigs can be stored at Escapees in Livingston for up to 90 days per year.

Does anyone have experience with this?

And... assuming that I store my rig (which will at that point just be my toad, as I will be between RVs), how does one get from Livingston to IAH or DFW? I suppose a one-way rental car is always a choice....

Or if someone has experience with long-term vehicle storage near other major airports, I'd appreciate hearing about it, too.

Thanks!

I faced a similar problem in 2006.

I was able to store my rig in the Livingston SKP for about 2 1/2 months for a reasonable rate.

There are some car rental places that will do a one way. I used Enterprise they will deliver for a fee.

FT since September 2007

Safari Trek + M/C

http://johncarolandcharro.blogspot.com/

I just spoke with a person in the office, who redirected me to the park manager (936) 327-1279. I am looking for storage for 10 weeks, which is less than the 90 days per year limit.

I explained that I was looking for storage parking for my SUV (as I will be between RVs) for 10 weeks. She said that they don't take reservations -- it is first come/first served -- and they use the parking for emergencies and for people who go on cruises -- I guess because cruises are typically1-2 week absences.

So, that shuts that door. Does anyone know of other vehicle storage places in Livingston (or Travis County/Austin) that you can recommend? I've tried a couple of RV storage places that, ironically, will store a high-end Class A or a basic travel trailer but won't store an SUV...

Thanks!

Why store your vehicle in Livingston to fly out of Houston?? There are plenty of storage facilities in Houston that will store a vehicle. I know one near The Woodlands that will store store your car, truck, boat or RV. IAH is only about 30 minutes away.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I was looking at Livingston because of the inexpensive and secure storage offered by Escapees -- and I could leave the key with someone to turn the engine every so often. But that door is closed.

Big5er: can you give me the name of the storage place in The Woodlands so I can research it? Do you have first hand knowledge of it?

I've found a company that serves AUS (which is fine with me) that primarily takes vehicles for deployed service. They charge about $200/month for indoor storage if they have space available.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts on this.

For 10 weeks you wont need to have anyone turn the engine over. (As long as the battery is ok). We do this all the time. 8 months and the engine fires up first go.

Try the long term park at DFW. It may 'seem' expensive at first glance but by time you factor in other storage, rental cars etc etc it may work out ok. We often see RVs in there.

regards

Metro mini storage on FM 1488, not far off I-45 just north of The Woodlands. (936)321-8200. I used them after the divorce. I had a unit large enough for a ton of boxes and furniture plus a trailer with 3 kayaks (20ft long). The place is nice and secure. Individual access codes to enter the property. If your unit opens and you haven't "entered" the property the alarm goes off.

They also have the typical covered RV storage.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Thanks again for the answers.

BruceT: I've looked at long term parking at AUS: it's $7/day so that is, in fact, pretty darned good when, as you say, you factor in rental cars, etc. My hesitation is that it is uncovered and thus subject to spring hailstorms. I would guess that long term parking at DFW and IAH is also uncovered. I'm still looking at tickets and may end up flying from via DFW rather than IAH to stick with the OneWorld alliance. Thanks for the suggestion!

Big5er: thanks for the recommendation. I'll check them out if I fly from IAH!

Archived