Patriotism

SWharton

For those who can watch a video, the Bellamy salute was not what most would think was patriotic later. Here is a brief 2:30 min. video history of the pledge of allegiance and salutes to patriotism.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi8MXIq_0t0

For those limited in bandwidth here are pics of the "Bellamy Salute" Those are American children not Germans. http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=bellamy+salute+images&qpvt=Bellamy+salute+images&qpvt=Bellamy+salute+images&qpvt=Bellamy+salute+images&FORM=IGRE

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As an outsider looking in may I say something?

OK I will thank you!

We have traveled the world and lived a total of more than 7 years in the USA. From our observations the US folks are by far the most outwardly patriotic folks we have ever come across. National anthem plays folks stand up, take their hats off and put their hands on their hearts. Respect their military. Fly flags at every given occasion. etc etc etc. But is that what being patriotic is all about? I suspect not. How does one test being patriotic? My guess is that when it comes time to roll up your sleeves and sacrifice for your country then we will all see who really is patriotic.

Australians outwardly show far less patriotism than folks in the USA. But when it comes time for a fight then I think everything changes.

Don't judge folks by what your eyes think they see. But judge those folks by what they do.

regards

Hollardawg - It was just a figure of speech, there's never to much.

mrshwarz- Being part of some thing bigger then yourself, the good and the bad and taking resposablity for it

hamrad- ? not sure what is wrong with you. I severed my country as my father did and his before him and my son that is serving right now.

All I was saying is show the country the respect it deserves.

Just my thoughts not questing any one's else's.

But I have learned one thing, keep my comments to my self.

Hollardawg - It was just a figure of speech, there's never to much.

mrshwarz- Being part of some thing bigger then yourself, the good and the bad and taking resposablity for it

hamrad- ? not sure what is wrong with you. I severed my country as my father did and his before him and my son that is serving right now.

Toddleti ---- And I'm not sure what is wrong with you. As a matter of fact I don't know you. Therefore there is no way I could make any decisions about you. I give people the benefit of doubt until they prove otherwise. Are you a doctor? If so perhaps you could tell me "what's wrong with me". I appreciate any info you could throw my way. You do remember Hitler don't you? He manipulated himself into the leadership of post WWI Germany and then managed to persuade his society into making him the Ultimate power for his country. Do you know how he did that? If not look it up and perhaps you'll then know "what is wrong with me" . I have no idea why you thought I needed to know about you and your family's military service. Thank you for your service. It is appreciated. And by the way my father served in WWII. HamRad

All I was saying is show the country the respect it deserves.

Just my thoughts not questing any one's else's.

But I have learned one thing, keep my comments to my self.

Trailer: Montana 5th wheel, model 3582Rl, model year 2012

Truck: Ford 450 PSD Super Duty, 2002 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4:88 rear end, last of the 7.3 engines, Automatic Transmission.

We have traveled the world and lived a total of more than 7 years in the USA. From our observations the US folks are by far the most outwardly patriotic folks we have ever come across. ........................

Don't judge folks by what your eyes think they see. But judge those folks by what they do.

I would mostly agree with Bruce on this based upon the countries that I have spent time in. Closest to the US would be the folks in Scotland. When the song "Scotland, The Brave" is heard their reaction is much like ours. Also part of this is a cultural thing. Americans very early in their history chose not to have a human figurehead like the monarchs of most other countries at that time and we instead hold our flag and anthem in similar esteem. I also believe that the popularity of displaying respect for the flag and the anthem is very much influenced by the share of the population who have taken part in a war. A great deal of the protocol is instilled in members of the armed forces and then passed to their children by veterans. As a smaller share of the population are now veterans and fewer citizens have family members in uniform, the awareness of these practices is also declining.

The public reaction isn't totally a matter of patriotism but is partly one of nationalism as well. Military actions, wars, and natural disasters tend to bring out the best in people and to make them more aware of and concerned about their fellowman. Good times with little difficulty tend to breed apathy.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I'll have to remember the next time I go through D.C. and stop at The Wall, The Korean Memorial and World War II Memorial.

Jingoism, huh!

The times they have changed.

I've been to them. There are names on the Wall of young men I knew. A monument does not equal patriotism. Nor does a song or a pledge. Or any of the trappings that people try to use to make them feel better about themselves. Goodman, Chaney, & Schwerner were three very patriotic young men that died in 1964, trying to make things better in their country for all people. Trying to make things better is what patriotism is all about, not a piece of material or a song.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Going to the wall does not make me patriotic, it makes me humble. Touching a monument above the remains of a military man or woman who gave their lives is not a sacrifice on my part, patriotism is not vicarious.

If you feared service and avoided the draft through political or monetary influence, and refused to serve, please don't wear the flag pin, carry a copy of the constitution which you cannot comprehend, and try to claim support for our troops. We are all our troops. There are some who exaggerate their achievements and see those who are genuine as their enemy. They can only judge by how their mind works.

At least in the old days one could honorably buy a soldier to take their place. Wearing a uniform does not a hero make. My heroes and friends who have passed on from service, in peace and war, and the ones we have not accounted for, the POWs, are my heroes. I am not a hero.

If there is a final judgment, that which we hid in our heart of hearts will be known, good and bad.

th27JJOTAP_zpsonytw6jd.jpg

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

We do know what the medley is and have been part of it many times over the years we have never ever been the only person standing and they usually ask vets to stand when their service song is played.

We have noted no lack or change in patriotism over the years.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

As an organist who has presented many programs described by the op,and who has a son who is a professional trumpet player in the Army who is intimately familiar with these types of programs I believe I can shed some light.

I don't think it was any lack of patriotism on the audiences part. I sounds to me like a poorly done presentation. The audience is not all knowing, indeed some of them may not hear well, or English is a second language.

If any kind of audience participation is part of the program, standing for the National Anthem, and/or in this case the Armed Services Medley, ( which when I play I always include the Coast Guard) you must announce in advance exactly what is expected. The order of the service songs, which will help a non musical member of the audience comply and not be embarrassed is a help.

Don't read too much into the experience.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Why in the world does anyone need to pull the rug out from under anyone else by saying what they do, think, say, sing, pledge or participate is not GOOD enough to be patriotic?

I did not serve, but most all of my elder relatives did and I'm so proud of them for being part of what makes the US/keeps the US free. In October I spent 10 days with my 100 year

old uncle who served on Okinawa and the Philippines plus all over the US. He 'is' my hero and will always be.

I feel that one needs to lead by example. This was a children's program with about 400+ people and I was the only one that stood up during the medley. You can't tell me no one else in that room had not been in the military or had a family member in the military.

You covered a lot of ground with your rant/complaint, but the first part (above) got my attention!

From the PBS National Memorial Day Concert....

"Salute to the Services

It is traditional at patriotic events to honor each branch of the armed services with its own service song. and for members of each branch to assume the position of 'attention' during the duration of their song".

Note: patriotic events, members of each branch -and- position of attention (*not* salute).

And -

"In 1986, National Memorial Memorial Day Concert producer Jerry Colbert commissioned American composer Henry Mancini to create a special medley to serve this purpose. The result was 'Salute to the Services', an orchestral piece incorporating all the service songs, designed specifically for our concert.

Over the years, 'Salute to the Services' has been condensed and revised into the version now featured in our show. It is performed just prior to the address by the chairman of the Joint chiefs of Staff to honor and salute the men and women from each branch of our U.S. armed forces and their families."

Note: Apparently *not* at the beginning of the concert.

"When the songs are arranged in a medley format, it is protocol to present them in order of junior to senior service, as follows:

U.S. Coast Guard, U.S. Air Force, U.S. Navy, U.S. Marine Corps, U.S. Army."

The standing and or saluting reminds me of another site regarding the hand salute - which may now be rendered by active or retired military in *civilian clothes*.

Those not aware - may wonder why someone in civilian clothes is -or is not- rendering the hand salute to the flag, or during the playing of the National Anthem.

IMO you are too picky about what you observed, and are basing those observations on your concept of what is -or is not- patriotic.

Is the Vet in civvies who chooses *not* to render a hand salute UN-patriotic, or simply making a choice of hand over his heart ??

Likewise the Vets (if there were any) attending the school program choosing to not stand during their branch of "the medley".

~

Patriotism aka Respect.... for the country that has given you so much.

How do you have too much??

You are so RIGHT! Just look at what is going on in some of our city streets.

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

Everyone is right in their mind. Many served, and many died preserving that right in these United States of America! I will do as I choose, which is to publicly display what I feel is appropriate at the time from what I was taught throughout my life.

The children of the last 30/40 years are not taught the traditions and customs my generation learned as children, some of them were eliminated from school curriculum by public laws or public pressure.

I feel my 21 years in the Army is my greatest contribution to my country, If I fail to stand at the appropriate time or recognize something, please excuse my hearing loss, my bad hips, knees, bad back, or rambling mind.

This is how I feel about this topic, if it offends someone it's your right to say so, but will not change me.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Sometimes I think that most of us have lost sight of what real patriotism is. Even different dictionaries have differing definitions of the term but as individuals we seem to get hung up on demonstrating it and to forget what it really is. We get caught up in the trappings of patriotism in much the same way that many of us do for religious belief. Just as many of us will state that we are Christian & attend church while ignoring the practices that demonstrate our beliefs, we like to state that we are patriotic by standing for the anthem and yet are unwilling to actually sacrifice anything for the betterment of our country. We seem to believe that having worn our countries uniform makes us patriotic, but I do not believe that is in any way true. It does make one more aware of the ceremonial side of such things, but only a very few of us who have served in the military actually made any great sacrifices. I like to think of myself as patriotic, but am I really? Do I ask myself the question that JFK asked at his inauguration: "Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country."

Patriotism is a lot more than spending time in the armed forces or even staying for an entire career. Is it really patriotic for we veterans to demand more and more benefits in return for our service? Are citizens patriotic when we ask for increased social security when our country is going broke? Are we truly patriots when we ask for better parks & roads, while demanding that we pay a smaller share of that cost? To me true patriotism is a lot more than parading about as a veteran or standing when the anthem is played or the flag passes by. It is good and proper that we do those things but they are only a matter of proper etiquette in this country and require no real sacrifice. I am very proud of the fact that I am a military veteran and that all three of my sons are veterans, and also of the fact that two of my grandsons are presently serving in our nation's military. But in no way does any of that make me a patriot.

I will include a short quote from The True Meaning of Patriotism as published by FEE.org.

In 1320, in an effort to explain why they had spent the previous 30 years in bloody battle to expel the invading English, Scottish leaders ended their Declaration of Arbroath with this line: “It is not for honor or glory or wealth that we fight, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.

”Freedom—understanding it, living it, teaching it, and supporting those who are educating others about its principles. That, my fellow Americans, is what patriotism should mean to each of us today.

Everyone is right in their mind. Many served, and many died preserving that right in these United States of America! I will do as I choose, which is to publicly display what I feel is appropriate at the time from what I was taught throughout my life.

The children of the last 30/40 years are not taught the traditions and customs my generation learned as children, some of them were eliminated from school curriculum by public laws or public pressure.

I feel my 21 years in the Army is my greatest contribution to my country, If I fail to stand at the appropriate time or recognize something, please excuse my hearing loss, my bad hips, knees, bad back, or rambling mind.

This is how I feel about this topic, if it offends someone it's your right to say so, but will not change me.

YES! Look at what is going on in our schools and colleges!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

I am grateful for living where I do and having the opportunities that I have because of where I live. I am respectful to police, and armed services, but I am also just as respectful to EVERYBODY.

I think America is a great country, but I don't think we're somehow the best. I think too much patriotism tends to actually promote division and strife. It makes for a 'we' vs. 'them' attitude when we are all just people.

And I'm not proud to be an American. It's just a matter of where I was born. I'm proud to be a decent person, proud that I work hard at my job and proud that I strive to be the best that I can.

I don't own an American flag. But if my elderly neighbors call when they need something, I go help. I have a job where I am a productive person and contribute to society. I pay my taxes. I hold the door open for people. If I see a way I can help somebody, I do it. I call my mom just to chat or send her pictures. Sometimes, I pick up trash at the places I go to leave it nicer for the next person. I recycle my plastic bags and often use the re-usable ones.

I definitely believe in giving my best to the world. I believe that I have a duty to be the best person I can so that I can contribute to the lives of others and maybe motivate them to do the same. I try to be a socially responsible person and contribute in a positive way to my neighborhood, my town, state, country and the world. But I don't somehow see this idea of 'country' as being a sacred thing.

Class B, 1984 Dodge Xplorer van by Frank Industries.

Follow my life and travels at my blog, Live Hoppy. :)

I am grateful for living where I do and having the opportunities that I have because of where I live.

And I'm not proud to be an American. It's just a matter of where I was born.

Why is it that where you live has the opportunities it has? Do you suppose it just happened? No, it is due to the hard work and sacrifice made by those who came before you. How do you explain that many other countries who have had the same resources or greater in history have lived for hundreds of years in poverty and oppression while your country has thrived and led the world into the modern age?

Our country is the greatest example in history of how a collection of diverse and unique cultures and ethnic groups have blended to create an abundance of opportunity for those like you who work hard and share. Have we made mistakes? Sure, lot's of them. It hasn't always been smooth. We are in a constant state of development, growing with each of our successes and failures. We've learned and adapted, and we continue to learn and progress. Sometimes that progress is slower than at other times, but it goes on.

I don't hold up our country as perfect, far from it. But, it's still the prime destination for those in the world who seek a new place to bring their families, their dreams, their highest aspirations, to escape the bondage of poverty and/or ignorance and oppression.

I'm proud of my country, but not just because I was born here. I'm proud of my parents, my grandparents and all those who came before me and made this country the envy of the world. And, I'm proud of my kids and of all the young ones who carry on that tradition of hard work, who nurture the ideals which were birthed over 200 years ago. Yes, I definitely think this country is something to be proud of.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

If I fail to stand at the appropriate time or recognize something, please excuse my hearing loss, my bad hips, knees, bad back, or rambling mind.

Amen! My back will no longer allow me to stand still for more than a few seconds. Which is worse: not standing at all or having to sit back down in the middle of the National Anthem? The second one feels extremely disrespectful to me so I'd rather sit with my hand over my heart. Does this all go back to not judging a book by its cover? To not judging someone's insides by their outsides? What about the vet in a wheelchair? Is (s)he somehow supposed to stand for the flag or be labeled unpatriotic? Not by me.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I think America is a great country, but I don't think we're somehow the best. I think too much patriotism tends to actually promote division and strife. It makes for a 'we' vs. 'them' attitude when we are all just people.

I must disagree with your opinion, even though I understand what you are saying. While it is possible for pride of citizenship to cause hard feelings with those of other nationalities, there is no need for that to be the case. Pride of citizenship does not foster or justify disrespect for citizens of other countries. The quote that I used comes from Scotland and I believe that those folks are just as inclined to show pride in their country as any of us and when I was there in the Navy, that pride in citizenship helped to form a strong bond between the citizens there and our sailors. Pride in homeland need not be arrogant but can just as easily be a common bond of respect. I would hope that all of my friends from other countries take just as much pride in their homeland as I do in my own. I have been fortunate to have had good friends for many years who are citizens of Australia, Canada, United Kingdom, and Denmark and I believe that each one of them are proud of their citizenship, as I would expect them to be.

I believe that patriotism is not just a matter of pride of citizenship, but runs far deeper.

Is it really patriotic for we veterans to demand more and more benefits in return for our service? Are citizens patriotic when we ask for increased social security when our country is going broke? Are we truly patriots when we ask for better parks & roads, while demanding that we pay a smaller share of that cost? To me true patriotism is a lot more than parading about as a veteran or standing when the anthem is played or the flag passes by.

I can't believe that you just called every service organization and members of AFSA, The Legion, M.O.A.A., (see the full list below) unpatriotic.

Politics, (in red) regardless of how you think your agenda is universal, is prohibited here. Calling vets unpatriotic for holding the line is claptrap. http://www.yourdictionary.com/claptrap

Kirk, Since you can only speak for you, and can't resist politicizing any veteran's thread, I will answer your very disturbing political post with no politics. Your pious attacking other vets if they do not agree with your politics is uncalled for.

Reading your "we" third person, changed to I, and me, since you only can speak for you, and would certainly not be intentionally pushing a political agenda, and doing that by calling other vets unpatriotic for holding the line on vet benefits retiree or no, changes it somewhat does it not?

So rereading your post as first person, instead of the "royal we" you use a lot, I am sorry that:

(Corrected quote to first person)

"Sometimes I think that most of us I have lost sight of what real patriotism is. Even different dictionaries have differing definitions of the term but as individuals we seem to I get hung up on demonstrating it and to forget what it really is. We I get caught up in the trappings of patriotism in much the same way that many of us I do with my religious belief. Just as many of us I will state that I am Christian & attend church while ignoring I ignore practices that demonstrate our my beliefs, we I like to state that we are I am patriotic by standing for the anthem and yet are I am unwilling to actually sacrifice anything for the betterment of my country. We seem to I believe that having worn our countries my country's uniform makes me patriotic."

There, now your words speak only for yourself. I do hope the admins remove only the political posts. I would not presume to comment on your patriotism or religious practices, that is none of my business. And commenting on the state of the worlds hypocrites and political patriotism is in appropriate here. Since you post as if you are an arbiter of what is allowed here, you already know that."

end corrected quote to first person.

I do not come here to read incitements and pious claptrap intended to elicit claps, thus the word clap+trap.

I come here for the friendships and camaraderie of the RVrs in Escapees and on the road.

Full list of folks who are patriotic enough to be active for vets and active duty without trying to silence them with calling them unpatriotic:

African American Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Association .......................................................... 1-4

African American Veterans and Families .............................................................................................. 3-2

African American War Veterans of the U.S.A. ...................................................................................... 3-2

Air Force Association ............................................................................................................................... 3-2

Air Force Sergeants Association ............................................................................................................. 2-2

All Faith Consortium ............................................................................................................................... 3-2

Americal Division Veterans Association................................................................................................. 3-2

American Coalition for Filipino Veterans.............................................................................................. 3-3

American Ex-Prisoners of War............................................................................................................... 1-5

American G.I. Forum of the United States............................................................................................ 1-6

American Gold Star Mothers, Inc. ......................................................................................................... 2-3

The American Legion .............................................................................................................................. 1-7

American Logistics Association .............................................................................................................. 3-3

American Merchant Marine Veterans ................................................................................................... 3-3

American Military Retirees Association ................................................................................................ 3-3

American Military Society ...................................................................................................................... 3-3

American Red Cross ................................................................................................................................ 1-8

American Retiree Association ................................................................................................................. 3-4

American Veterans Alliance, Inc. ........................................................................................................... 3-4

American Veterans for Equal Rights, Inc. ............................................................................................. 3-4

American Volunteer Reserve................................................................................................................... 3-4

American War Mothers ........................................................................................................................... 2-4

AMVETS .................................................................................................................................................. 1-9

Arab American War Veterans, Inc. ........................................................................................................ 3-4

ii

Army Aviation Association of America .................................................................................................. 3-5

Army & Navy Union, USA, Inc. ........................................................................................................... 1-10

Asian American Veterans Association .................................................................................................... 3-5

Association of Military Surgeons (AMSUS) .......................................................................................... 3-5

Association of the U.S. Army .................................................................................................................. 3-5

Association of the United States Navy.................................................................................................... 3-5

Association of the Vietnam Veterans of America ................................................................................ 1-11

Blinded Veterans Association ................................................................................................................ 1-12

Blinded American Veterans Foundation ................................................................................................ 3-6

Blue Star Mothers of America, Inc......................................................................................................... 2-5

Bowlers to Veterans Link ........................................................................................................................ 3-6

Catholic War Veterans, USA, Inc. ........................................................................................................ 1-13

Cold War Veterans Association............................................................................................................... 3-6

Commissioned Officers Association of the US Health Service, Inc. .................................................... 3-6

Congressional Black Caucus Veterans Braintrust ................................................................................ 3-7

Congressional Medal of Honor Society of the United States of America............................................ 2-6

CWO & WO Association US Coast Guard............................................................................................ 3-7

Daughters of Union Veterans of the Civil War...................................................................................... 3-7

Destroyer-Escort Sailors Association ..................................................................................................... 3-7

Disabled American Veterans ................................................................................................................. 1-14

Eighth Air Force Historical Society........................................................................................................ 3-7

Enlisted Association of the National Guard of the US.......................................................................... 3-8

Fleet Reserve Association ...................................................................................................................... 1-15

Gold Star Wives of America, Inc. ......................................................................................................... 1-16

Help Hospitalized Veterans ..................................................................................................................... 3-8

Hispanic War Veterans of America ........................................................................................................ 3-8

Homeless & Disabled Veterans ............................................................................................................... 3-9

Iraq & Afghanistan Veterans of the United States................................................................................ 3-9

Italian American War Veterans of the United States .......................................................................... 1-17

Japanese American Veterans Association .............................................................................................. 3-9

Japanese American Veterans Counsel.................................................................................................... 3-9

Jewish War Veterans of the USA .......................................................................................................... 1-18

Korea Veterans of America ..................................................................................................................... 3-9

Korean Defense Veterans of America..................................................................................................... 3-9

Korean Ex-Prisoners of War................................................................................................................. 3-10

Korean War Veterans Association, Inc................................................................................................... 2-7

Legion of Valor of the USA, Inc. ........................................................................................................... 1-19

Marine Corps League ............................................................................................................................ 1-19

Marine Corps Reserve Association....................................................................................................... 3-10

Military Chaplains Association of the USA of America ....................................................................... 2-8

Military Officers Association of America............................................................................................. 1-20

Military Order of the Purple Heart of the U.S.A., Inc. ...................................................................... 1-24

Military Order of the World Wars ......................................................................................................... 2-9

NAM-POWs Corporation ..................................................................................................................... 3-10

National Alliance on Mentally Illness................................................................................................... 3-10

National American Indian Veterans ..................................................................................................... 3-10

National Amputation Foundation, Inc. ................................................................................................ 1-25

National Association for Black Veterans, Inc. ..................................................................................... 1-26

National Association for Uniformed Services ...................................................................................... 3-11

National Association of American Veterans, Inc. ................................................................................ 3-11

National Association of Atomic Veterans ............................................................................................. 3-11

National Association of Black Military Women (NABMW) .............................................................. 3-11

iv

National Association of County Veterans Service Officers, Inc. ........................................................ 1-27

National Association of Fleet Tug Sailors, Inc. .................................................................................... 3-12

National Association of State Directors of Veterans Affairs................................................................. 4-2

National Association of State Veterans Homes .................................................................................... 3-12

National Association of State Women Veterans Coordinators (NASWVC) ..................................... 3-12

National Coalition for Homeless Veterans ........................................................................................... 3-13

National Congress of Puerto Rican Veterans, Inc. .............................................................................. 3-13

National 4th Infantry (IVY) Division Association............................................................................... 3-13

National Guard Association of the United States................................................................................ 3-13

National Gulf War Resource Center, Inc. ........................................................................................... 3-14

National League of Families.................................................................................................................. 3-14

National Military Family Association .................................................................................................. 3-14

National Society Daughters of the American Revolution ................................................................... 3-15

National Veterans Foundation .............................................................................................................. 3-15

National Veterans Legal Services Program ......................................................................................... 1-28

National Veterans Organization of America (NVOA) ........................................................................ 1-29

Naval Enlisted Reserve Association...................................................................................................... 3-15

Navy Club of the United States of America ......................................................................................... 2-10

Navy League of the United States......................................................................................................... 3-16

Navy Mutual Aid Association................................................................................................................ 1-27

Navy Nurse Corp. Association .............................................................................................................. 3-16

Navy Seabee Veterans of America ........................................................................................................ 3-16

Non Commissioned Officers Association ............................................................................................. 1-28

Paralyzed Veterans of America............................................................................................................. 1-31

Polish Legion of American Veterans, USA........................................................................................... 1-32

Reserve Enlisted Association of the United States .............................................................................. 3-17

Reserve Officers Association of the United States............................................................................... 3-17

Society of Medical Consultants to the Armed Forces (SMCAF) ....................................................... 3-17

Society of Military Widows ................................................................................................................... 3-17

Student Veterans of America................................................................................................................. 3-18

Swords to Plowshares: Veterans Rights Organization ....................................................................... 1-33

The Chosen Few, Inc.............................................................................................................................. 3-18

The 2nd Airborne Ranger Association ................................................................................................. 3-18

The Forty & Eight.................................................................................................................................. 3-18

The Red River Valley Fighter Pilot Association .................................................................................. 3-19

TREA: The Enlisted Association .......................................................................................................... 1-34

TLC Brotherhood, Inc. Veterans of Thailand, Laos, Cambodia in Vietnam War ........................... 3-19

Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors, Inc. ................................................................................ 3-19

United Spinal Association...................................................................................................................... 1-35

United States Army Warrant Officers Association ............................................................................. 3-20

United States Federation of Korea Veterans Organization................................................................ 3-20

United States Merchant Marine Veterans of World War II............................................................... 3-20

United States Navy Cruiser Sailors Association.................................................................................. 3-20

United States Navy Veterans Association............................................................................................. 3-21

United States Submarine Veterans Inc. ............................................................................................... 2-11

United States Volunteers America, Inc................................................................................................. 3-21

USCG Chief Petty Officers Association ............................................................................................... 3-21

Veterans for Common Sense ................................................................................................................. 3-22

Veterans and Military Families for Progress....................................................................................... 3-21

Veterans Assistance Foundation, Inc.................................................................................................... 1-37

Veterans Leadership Program of Western Pennsylvania ................................................................... 3-22

Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States.................................................................................... 1-35

vi

Veterans of Modern Warfare, Inc......................................................................................................... 3-22

Veterans of the Battle of the Bulge ....................................................................................................... 3-23

Veterans of the Vietnam War, Inc. & The Veterans Coalition ........................................................... 1-39

Veterans’ Widows/ers International Network, Inc.............................................................................. 3-23

Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund ....................................................................................................... 3-23

Vietnam Veterans of America ............................................................................................................... 1-40

Vietnam Women’s Memorial Foundation, Inc. ................................................................................... 3-23

WAVES National .................................................................................................................................... 3-23

Women in Military Service for America Memorial Foundation, Inc................................................ 3-24

Women’s Airforce Service Pilots, WWII.............................................................................................. 3-24

Women’s Army Corps Veterans Association ....................................................................................... 2-12

Women Marines Association ................................................................................................................. 3-19

Women Overseas Service League ......................................................................................................... 3-24

Women’s Veterans of America .............................................................................................................. 3-25

Wounded Warriors ................................................................................................................................ 3-25

Wounded Warrior Project.....................................................................................................................

Source:

https://www.va.gov/vso/

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Archived